NEurope

Unless I've missed something Steven Taylor hasn't murdered anyone..

He all but kills people on the pitch. Gotta love his great handball dives though.

There all "Through and Through" until they get relegated and a big money offer gets swung their way. Think Figo to Madrid, Think Laudrup to Madrid or possibly the best of them all Mo Johnson. Going back to Scotland after saying you never would and then even joining your arch rivals in the most intense of all rivalries, oh my.

Then again I suppose the exception makes the rule but I think he is too good for the championship.

Like Nedved, Buffon and Del Piero all left Juventus when they went into Serie B.. oh wait we can all make examples.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=656557&sec=england&&cc=5739

ESPN has won the rights to broadcast 46 live Premier League matches in the United Kingdom for the 2009-10 season, and has also been awarded a contract for the 2010-13 seasons.

The sports broadcaster, parent company of Soccernet, picked up both 23-match packages on offer in Monday's auction. ESPN's 46 live games will be split between Saturday evenings and Monday nights in the coming season. For the three seasons from 2010-11 to 2012-13 ESPN has the rights to a single package of 23 matches previously awarded to Setanta.

The Premier League ended its association with Setanta on Friday after it failed to meet a final deadline over a £30m payment which had been due this month. Setanta was also stripped of its Scottish Premier League contract on Monday.

"We are clearly delighted that our bid for exclusive media rights to the Barclays Premier League matches in the UK has been successful," said Lynne Frank, ESPN Managing Director in Europe, Middle East and Africa. "This is a huge step for our business, and we look forward to working with the Premier League, football clubs and distributors to bring UK sports fans all the excitement they expect in Premier League football."

"Premier League football is one of the world's most sought after sports properties, and we are very excited to be expanding our business in the UK with England's top football product," said Russell Wolff, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, ESPN International. "This move demonstrates our commitment to British sports fans and our ongoing commitment to delivering football to fans around the world across a variety of media."

Premier League Chief Executive, Richard Scudamore, said: "The Premier League is extremely pleased to have added ESPN as a UK rights holder. They have a formidable worldwide reputation and experience in sports and I am sure we will enjoy a long and fruitful relationship with them."

ESPN plans to make its Barclays Premier League coverage widely available across multiple pay-TV platforms. As a first step to this distribution strategy, ESPN has reached an agreement for its coverage to be retailed by Sky to residential and commercial customers.

Expect ESPN to launch a new channel that will be offered to sky customers for around £6.99. Also they will be broadcasting the EPL football in HD so happy days.. :)

Not so happy days, looks like I won't have any matches to watch if I chose to keep my setanta, bloody freeview.

Like Nedved, Buffon and Del Piero all left Juventus when they went into Serie B.. oh wait we can all make examples.

Them being moved to Serie B was not because they played poorly. The Italian match fixing scandle is totally different to a team being relegated because they simply weren't good enough.

Them being moved to Serie B was not because they played poorly. The Italian match fixing scandle is totally different to a team being relegated because they simply weren't good enough.

I thought we were discussing loyalty, not how the teams go relegated. You said they're all through and through until the big money comes in, I just gave an example where that theory is wrong.

Yeah, The players were loyal because they were relegated in a different way. They were guaranteed to go straight back up. Those players would have been very different if they were relegated in the way that Newcastle were for example. That's just the point I was trying to make.

I agree with you, I've been surprised by how much I have enjoyed the matches I've seen in the Confederations Cup so far. I think it could have something to do with the fact that the summer football withdrawals are starting already though.

A potential final between Spain and Brazil is pretty exciting to any football fan.

Yaaaay, glad someone else has been watching it, too. Football withdrawal is awful...I need it in my life somewhere, haha.

I must say, some of the performances have been great. I thought U.S.A. had a good first half against Italy, Egypt also did well against them, too. Spain have been great to watch, too. It started off a bit slow, I think, but I'm enjoying it at the moment.

My tip to win it is Brazil. They may have slipped up hugely and conceded 3 against Egypt, but some of their football has been breath-taking, particularly in that last match against Italy.

ESPN has bought the rights to the 46 Barclays Premier League matches in the 2009-10 Season that were to have been previously shown by Setanta Sports.

BT Vision have entered into discussions with the new rights holders with a view to bringing these matches to our customers for the coming season.

In addition ESPN has also won the rights for the 23 games per season that Setanta were due to show for seasons 2010/11 to 2012/13.

All BT Vision customers should retain their current Setanta Sports viewing card.

More information will follow as it becomes available.

http://www.btvision.bt.com/sport/setanta/

Yeah, The players were loyal because they were relegated in a different way. They were guaranteed to go straight back up. Those players would have been very different if they were relegated in the way that Newcastle were for example. That's just the point I was trying to make.

In saying that though the likes of Buffon and Del Piero would have been receiving higher more lucritive offers. And they stayed, even though the relegation wasn't even their fault. The Newcastle players may have the added guilt of playing completely shite for a season.

Ah yes I understand what you are saying. I suppose we won't ever come to a middle ground. I know I'm stubborn as f**k. Agree to disagree?

Just found out ive got a ticket to go see England v Slovenia on the 5th of September. Really looking forward to it, never been to Wembley and its been way too long since I last got to a football match.

Ah yes I understand what you are saying. I suppose we won't ever come to a middle ground. I know I'm stubborn as f**k. Agree to disagree?

I suppose we're both right, and what we can say it depends on the individual and their situation. :)

On the topic of England, a dutch mate of mine has tickets for the friendly in Amsterdam, how did this match miss my radar, if I had known I may have gone to it.

Setanta goes into administration

The Irish broadcaster Setanta Sports has gone into administration after failing to make a number of payments to sporting organisations.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8115360.stm

Bastards only just took their subscription from me now go off the air, c**ts!

Sturridge set for Blues move

Interesting.

Seriously though, when is he going to play? We already have Drogba, Anelka and then Di Santo (who hard plays). I guess we sold Ben Sahar. Hopefully Ancelotti has plans for him.

he's another in the Cashley Cole mould, threw the toys out the pram when Man City wouldn't offer him over £50k per week

he's another in the Cashley Cole mould, threw the toys out the pram when Man City wouldn't offer him over £50k per week

He'll earn a fortune sitting on the bench for Chelsea.

So, what does everyone make of the news that Hull could be going for Michael Owen?

Ever since Cashly has been given that bed of money to sleep on he's pretty much stfu. Considering we still have Shevchenko on our books and Sturridge is home grown, I suspect he has a lot more leverage and assuming a club actually play him (...yeah, I'm not seeing it happen at Chelsea unless Ancelotti does something radical), then he's probably worth his price.

Edit: Chelsea join Shelvey battle

Looks like we're trying to pick off some English youngsters. Good thing if we do get this youngster is that it looks like he will be loaned right back to CA.

Edited by Daft

The picture in that article you linked Daft made him look really disturbing in my opinion. Nosferatu?

Ooof!

Anyone watching/listening to England U21 vs. Sweden U21?

England were 3-0 up and cruising at half-time and Sweden have now got it back to 3-3 and its almost full-time. Bit of a good game really.

ENGLAND U21 0-0 SWEDEN U21 Milner misses (he fell over)

That made me laugh!

The two Arsenal boys scored their penalties. Good to see.

Milner missed because of my family going "Come on, James. Come on!"

They never learn, that lot. :indeed:

I couldn't believe that game. A 3-nil lead at half-time, and it looks like England have had an easy passage through to the final. Then, half time comes, and...it's almost the worst possible outcome. Sweden are back into the game, from 3-0 down to 3-3, and worse still, England down to 10 men.

They're through to the final, but now without Hart, without Agbonlahor (sp?) and without Campbell. So, they made it hard for themselves. Oh, and having to go through a shoot-out.

Did anyone watch the USA against Spain the other day? Ramos and Pique had awful games for Spain, but I've never been a fan of Ramos at all. If you haven't, try to see the second goal...he'll definitely not want to see that again.

On the whole, I thought USA did well. They didn't play for a draw or penalties, and genuinely gave it a go against Spain. After half time, Spain did give it a go and had a stupid amount of chances, but I thought the USA were superb defensively. Did very well.