NEurope

I'm disgusted to think that that is a possibilty :hmm: While there is still a chance to sneak into 4th, however slim, you have to support the team and hope we can make it!

I'd much rather have us get 4th and Man United win the league than to finish lower and have Chelsea win it! I know what it means in terms of United going ahead of us in titles won, but you have to be realistic and understand that Liverpool will be a more attractive club with the possibilty of Champions League football and the added income from playing in the competition will be benefical..

While I am a little interested to see how Spurs of Man City would do in the Champions League, I certainly don't want it at our expense.. and part of me hopes that if either of them get 4th, they'll mess it up in the qualifying round :red:

I'm sorry, but Liverpool have absolutely no chance of getting 4th. Mathematically yes, but in reality that have no chance. I wouldn't put Villas chances much higher either. It's between Spurs and City, simple as that.

No to technology, because first it will be goal decisions, then it'll be penalty and goal decisions, then it will be penalty, goal and offside decisions, then it'll be penalty, goal, offside and throw-in decisions. And so on until we're checking every little aspect of the game and we have something that represents American Football where you get about 5 mins of action.

Technology does work in other sports and it works well. Look at Rugby. I have seen dozens of games, probably even hundreds where I can safely say that the "right" outcome of the game has been reached thanks to the video referee. Hell, it's even used in Tennis (Hawk-eye) and it has been used to decide vital points in vital games. Hawk-eye is even used (to a certain extent) in cricket to help with LBW decisions.

If it's used correctly, then football will still remain an exciting game. Rugby still remains an exciting game, and at the end of the day you know that the right team wins under the right circumstances. There's no or very little bitterness over "The Referee getting it wrong." Football is far too much about the referee these days. In fact, why do we even know the names of referees these days? They're there to judge the game, they're not stars in their own right. They should be impartial and given as little attention as possible.

As for the two challenges, I see them completely differently. Assou-Ekotto has the player approaching him where as the Birmingham player is behind Agbonlahor and chasing him down.

You're right, they are two different challenges. But one is still very clumsy whilst the other is not. Assou-Ekotto had quite a poor game, and I think Dazzybee will agree with me there. That tackle summed him up that afternoon. I like the guy, really rate him...although that's probably based on last season rather than this one.

I'm sorry, but Liverpool have absolutely no chance of getting 4th. Mathematically yes, but in reality that have no chance. I wouldn't put Villas chances much higher either. It's between Spurs and City, simple as that.

Hmm, when you look at the fixtures, it really is down to Man City and how well they do. If City beat both Spurs and Villa, then it's theirs. The only way Villa will get fourth is if...Spurs and City draw, Villa beat City away and Tottenham lose points against Burnley and/or Bolton. Too many assumptions.

I'd expect Spurs to beat Bolton and Burnley, so then it comes down to that clash with City. You never know what could happen...

I'm not a fool :indeed: I don't expect us to get it, but while there is still a very slight possibilty, we have to go for it! Even if we had nothing at all to play for, I'd still want us to win our final games of the season..

You can't throw in the towel, no matter what the odds are..

Yeah true. Should always keep going until it's too late. At least you should win the Europa cup. An all england final looks likely, will be great if so.

If Villa can get any result against City, then I think we can even afford to lose to City and still finish 4th (presuming we get quite a few goals against Bolton and Burnley).

I don't fancy Villa for fourth; we just don't have the money or squad to compete and we'd most likely end up getting knocked out before the Group Stages.

I actually wouldn't mind being knocked out of the CLD2 early next season if it means we can focus on domestic matches and go even further than we did this season. :)

A refs assistant on the goal line would have been able to 100% a decision one way or the other.

Well, you'd think so. But didn't Louis Saha get harshly sent off in Europe this season, despite their being an official behind the goal?

I don't fancy Villa for fourth; we just don't have the money or squad to compete and we'd most likely end up getting knocked out before the Group Stages.

I actually wouldn't mind being knocked out of the CLD2 early next season if it means we can focus on domestic matches and go even further than we did this season. :)

I think the thing with Villa is whether or not you can keep your more talented players. Same with Spurs. If you both keep the squad you have, but add to it in the Summer, you could do well next season. It's when your start selling off key components that it becomes an issue. Look at Liverpool with Alonso.

Although, realistically, if City get fourth, I think you'll find it very tough to get into the top four next season. City now have an indispensable budget, and if they get Champions League Football, it will attract more players to their club. So, you'd expect them to have a better squad next season. If they get fourth this season, they'll be looking at higher than that next year. Unless it all spectacularly goes bad for them, for some reason or another.

Football needs to get away from this horribly bloated view of it's own ego that it thinks it's too good to have video technology used. I'm fucking sick of hearing the same stupid arguments about how it will destroy the game, It won't. Countless other sports have done it, many that have a much faster pace to them than football. It's used in Ice Hockey and does nothing but enhance the game. Everyone ones worried about time being wasted, at least it will be well spent. At the moment how much time is wasted on players arguing with referees and rolling on the floor after being tickled, all thing that don't happen in other sports. I could reel off 5 sports that use it and no one complains about the use of it. People always spout the same rubbish about it ruining the game, how will making sure the right results happen do that? It might put Hansen and Lawrenson out of a job but that's only another added benefit.

Get rid of these stupid assistant assistants, they're a joke.

Football needs to get away from this horribly bloated view of it's own ego that it thinks it's too good to have video technology used. I'm fucking sick of hearing the same stupid arguments about how it will destroy the game, It won't. Countless other sports have done it, many that have a much faster pace to them than football. It's used in Ice Hockey and does nothing but enhance the game. Everyone ones worried about time being wasted, at least it will be well spent. At the moment how much time is wasted on players arguing with referees and rolling on the floor after being tickled, all thing that don't happen in other sports. I could reel off 5 sports that use it and no one complains about the use of it. People always spout the same rubbish about it ruining the game, how will making sure the right results happen do that? It might put Hansen and Lawrenson out of a job but that's only another added benefit.

You're right. Especially about the Hansen bit.

The whinging will be transfered from "how did the ref not see it" to "why didn't the ref call for video technology on that decision" or "why don't we use our video tech for these types of decisions". Because lets face it, you can't use it for everything, other wise the ref becomes pointless.

It's all abit to Skynet for me, I'm afraid. But I would consider most of my views on football rather old school.

Just realised the Premiership could be wrapped up on Sunday if Chelsea win and Man Utd lose, although it's far from likely, as I don't expect a safe Sunderland squad to be fighting in top form against Man Utd. Would be nice though. It's so close! :D

Just realised the Premiership could be wrapped up on Sunday if Chelsea win and Man Utd lose, although it's far from likely, as I don't expect a safe Sunderland squad to be fighting in top form against Man Utd. Would be nice though. It's so close! :D

Or to put it another way if Chelsea drop points against Liverpool and Man United win then United will go top and it'll be in their hands... yeah, I like the sound of that a lot better! :D

Or to put it another way if Chelsea drop points against Liverpool and Man United win then United will go top and it'll be in their hands... yeah, I like the sound of that a lot better! :D

Don't count on it ;)

The whinging will be transfered from "how did the ref not see it" to "why didn't the ref call for video technology on that decision" or "why don't we use our video tech for these types of decisions". Because lets face it, you can't use it for everything, other wise the ref becomes pointless.

It's all abit to Skynet for me, I'm afraid. But I would consider most of my views on football rather old school.

Well no, the referee would still be the referee in exactly the way it works in other sports that use it. His authority is not undermined at all. You're obviously never going to please everyone but the technology is there to make things so much better and the same old tradition excuses are getting boring.

This kind of slipped under the rader.

Newcastle United midfielder Nicky Butt has announced he will retire from football this summer. Butt, 35, has revealed he hopes to win one final honour in his illustrious career - a coca cola championship winners medal.

Butt was a major feature in Manchester United's squad for almost a decade, once a certain starter after emerging from the famous 92 youth side he lost his place when Paul Scholes moved from forward to midfield, However Scholes and Keanes tendencies to rack up the cards and the occasional injury allowed Butt to make 40 plus appearances most seasons.

His finest moment came in the 99 champions league final where he dominated midfield, leaving Bayern Munich with no choice but to play a counter attacking game.

He also appeared 39 times for England, in the 2002 world cup Pele named Butt as his player of the tournament.

As the years wore on in the new millenium the ultra competetive Butt found himself playing less and less games so handed in a transfer request, eventually moving to Newcastle in the summer of 2004, United fans have barely heard from the low key mancunian since but those of certain generations will always remember and appreciate 'Butty'

Then over the weekend there was.

BUTT CONFIRMS NEWCASTLE EXIT

Nicky Butt has confirmed he will leave Newcastle when his contract expires this summer.

The 35-year-old, a Champions League winner with former club Manchester United, will lift the Championship trophy as captain after Saturday's clash with Ipswich in what will be his last appearance in a black and white shirt at St James' Park.

Writing in his programme notes, he said: "It promises to be a special day for everyone, and it will also be an emotional one for me because it will be the last time I pull on a Newcastle shirt at St James' Park.

"I have had a wonderful six years here ever since Sir Bobby Robson brought me to the club in 2004, but this summer, I will be moving on.

"It will always be a club that holds a special place in my heart and I would like to thank the players, staff and fans for everything they have done for me over the years.

"I hope that I will be back here as a spectator in the future to see the club lift more silverware."

So it's not 100% that he will retire, Wouldn't be surprised if he moved to Ipswich under Keano. Reguardless one of the increadable class of '92; Giggs. Scholes. Beckham. Gary. Phil. Nicky.

Edited by Fresh

So it's not 100% that he will retire, Wouldn't be surprised if he moved to Ipswich under Keano. Reguardless one of the increadable class of '92; Class of '92. Giggs. Scholes. Beckham. Gary. Phil. Nicky.

Hats off to him, he's been an incredibly good signing for the club, and was probably bargain of the season when we bought him. He deserves his last season at a truly competitive club to be a winning one.

So it's not 100% that he will retire, Wouldn't be surprised if he moved to Ipswich under Keano. Reguardless one of the increadable class of '92; Giggs. Scholes. Beckham. Gary. Phil. Nicky.

Nicky Butt has to be the most likeable out the bunch, closely followed by Beckham but he only turned it around with the England armband.

Tonight's game is going to be an interesting affair. Good for Inter that Sneijder is fit, they'll need a quality performance because the poison dwarf does love his Camp Nou. :weep:

Inter are in the finals, despite a late fightback from Barcelona in which one goal was disallowed for Handball (controversial). Barcelona won 1-0 on the night but Inter Milan won by 3-2 on aggregate.

Bayern Munich v Inter in the final.

The ref has had an absolute shocker.

Thiago Motta should never had been sent off, Piquet's goal is questionably offside and that handball on Toure is incredibly harsh. No way could he get his hands out the way of the ball punted at him from two yards away. Cue JonSt and his technology. ;)

Fair play to Inter who defended superbly.

Edited by Ramar

Red card should't have been a straight red but it was a yellow and motta had already been booked. So the ref got the decision right imo but went about it the wrong way.

Nicky Butt has to be the most likeable out the bunch, closely followed by Beckham but he only turned it around with the England armband.

I like Nicky, but what's not to like about Giggs or Scholes?

Wonder if Khilafah will be making an appearance, I'd love to hear his thoughts on the "footballing spectacle" that took place over two legs between Lyon and Bayern.

Well done, Inter. They defended really, really well. Looked comfortable for most of it. Unlucky not to finish the game with a clean sheet. How many teams can say that?

The red card was stupid on behalf of the player. In this day and age, if you raise a hand to anyone, you run the risk of being carded. Motta should've known better.

Cambiasso was outstanding tonight. I thought Eto'o put in a great shift as well, especially after the sending off.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Giggs, that goal in '99 and the subsequent wankfest. Not to mention his dirty hairy chest and the joke of PFA and other awards last season.

Scholes is a dirty ginger nobhead. If he can't win the ball, he'll kick you until he does. Failing that a nice elbow to the chops will suffice.

Both highly talented footballers mind you, two people I can't stand.

Giggs, that goal in '99 and the subsequent wankfest. Not to mention his dirty hairy chest and the joke of PFA and other awards last season.

Scholes is a dirty ginger nobhead. If he can't win the ball, he'll kick you until he does. Failing that a nice elbow to the chops will suffice.

Both highly talented footballers mind you, two people I can't stand.

Haha, whenever there's a "funny" tackle taking place somewhere, I'll refer to that as a Paul Scholes Tackle. :D

They're both great. You'd love them if they played for you. And, I'd probably like them less if they did. :heh: (that 99 goal is one of my favourites)

The ref has had an absolute shocker.

Thiago Motta should never had been sent off, Piquet's goal is questionably offside and that handball on Toure is incredibly harsh. No way could he get his hands out the way of the ball punted at him from two yards away. Cue JonSt and his technology. ;)

Fair play to Inter who defended superbly.

Consider this the cue :heh: