N-Europe

Metroid: Other M

Retro_Link

People who pre-order Other M in America will receive a collectible art folio featuring 16 cards.

mom_art_folio.jpg

Europe on the other hand will probably get a cardboard sleeve over the game case. Or if we are REALLY, REALLY lucky, a tin.

im such a fucking sucker for collectors or limited edition shit, so should this happen in Europe.. consider it pre-ordered!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking forward to this more than I was looking forward to SMG2.

When I get this, my Wii collection will consist solely of Wii Sports, 3 Mario Games, 2 Metroid Games and a Zelda game. Just shows what I own a Wii for... :heh:

Do you hear that? That's the sound of Fused_King sharpening his knife for not mentioning Little King's Story.

The point that I was trying to make is that Nintendo could just release games from those three franchises and it still makes the console worth owning.

--------------------------------------------------

I'm really hoping that this turns out to be the perfect combination of Super Metroid + Prime but I still have some small doubts in my mind even now... whatever happens it's destined to be great I'm sure but lets face it we all want this game to be outstanding.

I agree with everything you mentioned. I just worry they'll focus too much on the story of Samus and not enough on game play (in terms of design, and attention).

Precisely... the story part it looks like they've got 'down' so to speak but the general design of the new enemies seems uninspired and some of the settings look more industrial as opposed to the more alien feel that the series has had thus far.

Some new info:

- Because you have a very limited amount of buttons on the Wii-remote, the controls have to adapt to your enviroments a lot. For example, depending on the enemy a different finishing move is possible.

- Goal was to make the movement from cinematics to gameplay seemless.

- Bombing walls to discover items in the 2D Metroids and investigating the enviroments in the first-person view to find items have the same kind of feeling to them.

- Because Samus is not "very good at living like a normal human being", and doesn't talk much, when it came to choosing the voice actress (Koeda Ai) they wanted someone who could speak in an unsophisticated, direct manner, rather than someone with very good technique.

- Because Sakamoto wanted Other M to have the same feeling as the 2D Metroids, the shooting animation (Samus raising her hand to shoot) was made as quick as possible.

- The guy from D-Rockets wanted to have more Zero Suit in there. While the armour protects Samus during battles, it also covers her feelings, and thus is not so good for human drama. However, Sakamoto was adamant that Samus would not take of her armour unless it really suited the story and the situation. They wanted to portray a strong, cool Samus, who has powers other human beings don't.

Japan boxart: (sleeve?)

B002C1ARJY.01._SCRMZZZZZZ_.jpg

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

Yes, such ordinary and real things as bathrooms somehow clash with a game world, where, until now, every other wall had an exactly morph ball-sized ventilation shaft to the enemy's headquarters.

How are they going to explain bathrooms? ;)

How are they going to explain bathrooms? ;)

Well, you see. A bathroom can have a morph ball-sized hole where Samus can flush herself into underground pipes below the enemy base. Although it would be a bit of a tight squeeze.

Well, you see. A bathroom can have a morph ball-sized hole where Samus can flush herself into underground pipes below the enemy base. Although it would be a bit of a tight squeeze.

But in the future, everyone does epic dumps. The pipes would easily be wide enough for Samus :)

The morph ball supposedly has about a 1m diameter so... :heh:

Precisely... the story part it looks like they've got 'down' so to speak but the general design of the new enemies seems uninspired and some of the settings look more industrial as opposed to the more alien feel that the series has had thus far.

But on the other hand, Metroid Fusion was at least 50% 'industrial' and was still awesome.

On a side note... I'm struggling to grasp how controls work in this game. When the camera suddenly switches gameplay from sidescrolling to over-the-shoulder, how is Samus aiming at those flying critters? Do you pick up the nunchuck as it switches?

Edited by Shorty

It looks like there's an auto-aim system for most of the game. I read somewhere (on here) that the developers won't be including nunchuk support (which I think is a bad decision... but oh well) as they want the game to remain loyal to the old metroid games. Or something.

It looks like there's an auto-aim system for most of the game. I read somewhere (on here) that the developers won't be including nunchuk support (which I think is a bad decision... but oh well) as they want the game to remain loyal to the old metroid games. Or something.

More accurately, their reasoning was that they wanted it to be instantly accessible to people who found the controls of 3D games too complex before, by having it controlled in a very similar way to how a 2D game would be controlled.

There was never any chance of them considered nunchuk support. The game was designed around the wii remote control scheme from the very beginning.

But yeah, all the aiming at normal enemies is auto aim. As long as you're shooting in the right direction, it auto targets to each enemy.

Also anyone complaining about it all being "industrial" clearly hasn't been watching the other videos with tons of vegetation, fire and snow areas.

The beginning of the game at least though takes place entirely on a space station area and obviously it's where most of the footage is pulled from since it's early game.

Edited by James McGeachie

The controls are fine. I encountered no problems with just using the D-Pad, it feels quite suited to it. Switching to first-person was a little more iffy, but still worked well.

...Bathrooms? In my Metroid? :blank:

I was thinking the same thing when I played it, I stumbled upon a bathroom and expected something to jump out of the cubicles, but it was just a little aside, I think. Nothing of interest.