NEurope
Retro_Link

Super Mario Galaxy 2

I love how the background is dependant on where you are. It's so going to be the case of stopping off everywhere and checking out the scenery :D

I still think Mario's planet looks clumsy compared to the Observatory from Galaxy 1. I've just started playing it again, and the design that went into the observatory really is quite impressive. Little touches like the floor panels lighting up with every grand star collected, with energy pipes leading to the different domes.... - lovely. Mario's planet just looks like a joke in comparison, and not very nice to look at. We'll see...

I still think Mario's planet looks clumsy compared to the Observatory from Galaxy 1. I've just started playing it again, and the design that went into the observatory really is quite impressive. Little touches like the floor panels lighting up with every grand star collected, with energy pipes leading to the different domes.... - lovely. Mario's planet just looks like a joke in comparison, and not very nice to look at. We'll see...

Oddly enough I was going to say the opposite (kinda). I think this hub might well be better than the observatory simply because it's smaller. You can explore it all pretty quickly, but I bet it will evolve as you play the game with new elements being added constantly. I'd hope so anyway. The observatory was similar but mostly you just unlocked an area rather than the scenery changing. I think I'll like this way better, personally.

Also: yes the little touches make the observatory awesome... but have you played this game? I haven't, I've just seen videos, but in none of them have I seen all of the 'Mario head ship', and therefore there may well be little touches like the ones you mention on this hub. I just don't know about them 'cause I haven't played it. You can't judge a game by videos, although several people try. They don't show you everything.

10 from Edge, impressive, wasn't expecting that.

No need for all this 78% or 83.59%, when you have a perfect rating system like that.

Well suck my dick 10/10. I mean I found the first game nigh on perfect and then this game comes along and impresses Edge that much?

My Wii has been officially dusted off.

To compare, what did the first Mario Galaxy get in Edge?

It got a 10 as well.

Whoa, nice. Edge are tough markers, so when something gets a ten you better believe they freaking loved it. What's this, the 12th game Edge has given a 10 to?

This isn’t a game that redefines the genre: this is one that rolls it up and locks it away.

Galaxy 2 offers a new understanding of where we’ve been, a new sense of wonder at where we’ll go next

*sniff* He had me at hello. :hehe:

don't really like edge to be honest. They come off as very snobby with their writing style and their scores sometimes. They're writing a review as an award winning novel.

but getting a 10 from them means expect over 9 scores

They're writing a review as an award winning novel.

Totally agree. Very presumptious reviews which mostly tell you very little about the actual game, but their ratings can for the most part be trusted.

When EDGE review a 'classic' game they truly celebrate it with some astonishing writing. Look at their OoT and even Sunshine reviews for proof (Sunshine got a 9 if you're interested). IMO this review is somewhat short for such a grandeur title yet the writing is still excellent.

If anything I prefer a 10/10 game review to launch into hyperbole and celebration. As EDGE staffers will know, SMG2 is such a title that warrants a purchase that, if truly taken apart and analysed it would only dilute from the celebration and enjoyment that a 10/10 title deserves.

Can't wait. Not since Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3 have recycled assets caused so much excitement! ;)

Can't wait. Not since Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3 have recycled assets caused so much excitement! ;)

As in... Dixie Kong?

I can't wait any longer! Gonna be grrrreeeaat!

Out in around 2 weeks in the states! And Australia still doesn't have an official release date! :red:

...Screw it, I'm moving to Moscow.

Super Mario World is perhaps the strongest secondary influence

I now know this game will be everything I ever wanted in a platformer :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

and the final levels switch the emphasis from perfecting the 3D platformer to deconstructing it. Mario is rubbing up against the limits of the form as much as the edge of the universe here, and you’ll see worlds where ledges hang sparse in the air, and where ghosts plucked from the entire sweep of videogame history emerge in half-familiar clumpings of cubes or a nimble arrangement of switches.

This sounds great.

I wonder if they'll consider making a Galaxy 3 if this sells well. The platform and engine is too good to just give up.

This sounds great.

I wonder if they'll consider making a Galaxy 3 if this sells well. The platform and engine is too good to just give up.

If only to watch everyone bitch about it.

My word, wasn't ALL too fussed about this game but scarcely catching glimpses of tiny bits of info is doing my hype organs a lot of good:D