NEurope
Retro_Link

Wii Vitality Sensor... Are you having a laugh!

Okay, let me try and spark some life into your brains that have gone to sleep from playing the same old games with different names on them.

Lets think of something like Marbles! Balance Challenge, where tilting becomes less responsive the higher ur heart rate climbs.

Lets think of some kind of first person shooter, where you have an energy bar. The higher ur heart rate, the more energy u consume. You need to replenish this energy in some way...

Let me mention sport games, and see where ur imagination can take you...

Clearly to me, very little has been mentioned about how this peripheral will be used because Iwata wants people to THINK! None of us can control what designers do with this peripheral, but at least Nintendo have given them yet another option to use.

I'm not going to pass judgement on the sensor itself, it's not for me but i'm sure it has it's audience. However, these ideas of yours are impossible. The developer would be asking the player to control their own heartbeat, which is not a skill your average person has.

It could be useful for making your character's actions mimic your emotions though. In horror games the higher your heartbeat climbs the more nervous and scared your character could become. Not so much a gameplay feature, more of an aesthetic one. Making it a gameplay feature would, again, result in the player needing to control their own heartbeat.

Come on, when Zechs is against Nintendo, you gotta figure they did bad (no offence)

hahaha, none taken! I've been their biggest fan for 20 years, but this kind of shite is starting to wear thin. It may be pulling in soccer moms but it certainly ain't setting my pulse racing.

HEART VITALITY RATING: Depressed

I aint deceased yet. I'm not even close to dying. If I'll die, it'll be from the ruskies invading, and I won't exactly get to play my Wii when I'll get called in :P

I want a Wii kidney dialysis machine.

Get it? Taking the piss? Ah forget it.

1172491225168.jpg

Also the above picture sums up this idea from Nintendo.

Edit: ^^That post is genius! I chuckled a bit.^^

I suppose it could be used with Wii fit to do decent health checks.

All you need now is a Wii blood pressure checker (Wii Tranquility Sensor?) and a Wii STD testing kit (I'm using my Wii to test for STDs!*) and you've got full on Wii GP!

I could easily work for Nintendo.

*Piss jokes never get old, they just evolve.

Edited by Goafer

Edit: ^^That post is genius^^

I suppose it could be used with Wii fit to do decent health checks.

All you need now is a Wii blood pressure checker (Wii Tranquility Sensor?) and a Wii STD testing kit (I'm using my Wii to test for STDs!*) and you've got full on Wii GP!

I could easily work for Nintendo.

*Piss jokes never get old, they just evolve.

Once again

1172491225168.jpg

In my defence, I was being slightly more serious there (apart from the bit about STDs!). Rather than just going on weight, Wii fit (or a future version at least) could now take a more accurate test of someones health.

I still wouldn't buy it, or a Wii, but I'm sure it would float someones boat.

But, then you're getting into the whole argument of what constitutes as a game, or a non-game, or un-game. Who says this can't be used for anything "game-y" or "non-game-y"? What's stopping somebody coming out and creating a game or piece of software which uses this effectively? It could be used in a Trauma Centre style game, for example.

Besides that, it wasn't even being touted as "the next big thing." This wasn't even given the same amount of focus as the balance board or MotionPlus.

Well the general Zeldas and Marios game-y. It's not the next big thing no, but it is another rip-off for the consumer.

Tetris 64 took advantage of something like this in Japan. As your heart rate soars, so does the amount of blocks that fall.

It could be great providing they find creative uses for it... At the moment, it seems like a bit of a pointless announcement.

At the moment, I'm not interested, but if something interesting comes out using it, perhaps I'll give it a try. Nintendo's well being "games" in general isn't really my cup of tea.

i keep trying to think of a good use for this, but it just dosent seem to have any practical use outside of a health package game.

i see a major flaw with having things get more hectic the more your pulse goes up, its a vicious circle. get bored and it gets quieter, and you get more bored, gets moe quiet etc etc etc untill you fall asleep.

also, say i need a piss, i get up and walk for one, that will affect my pulse rate. not saying going to the loo is strenious, but comapared to sitting, my heart will be working hared. i just dont see this working in a traditional game.

i dont think its a bad idea. its just like that lets go walking thing for the ds. an expensive bit of health kit for people with nothing better to spend their money on.

Horror games... might work.

i doubt it. i mean, horror is more about suspense. if you have a ton of shit coming at you, its not scary, its an action game.

I have to agree with the majority here, I just can't see a practical use for this yet. Not writing it off completely though.

Bloody hell though, as I was watching and this came on I was thinking "shit, surely this isn't it? THIS is the big E3 announcement?". Thank god they then kicked a bit of ass at the end of the conference with SMG2 and Metroid Project M. I was so disappointed with this that it really made the latter announcements so, so much better. Was this the plan all along, lol?

i doubt it. i mean, horror is more about suspense. if you have a ton of shit coming at you, its not scary, its an action game.

Or, you can be completely relaxed, and it throws a random thing at you. It could even have a pattern of what makes you most scared. Not saying it will happen, just an idea.

Heart rate is something gamers have fantasised about for ages, and with good reason. Regardless of genre, it gives the designers some parameters to work with to create a better atmosphere.

Action and horror (enemies and levels tailored to your stress level, or perhaps changing your characters attitude). Puzzle (changing music, speed, etc). Sports (adjusting your stress in game, missing shots, more focus etc). RTS (your troops trust you more when calm). There could be uses for it, just use your imaginations.

Ideally though (for use in traditional games), this tech needs to be worked into a new nunchuck, perhaps slipping your finger in to access the Z button

However it is disappointing Nintendo felt the need to show off this peripheral without software to back it up, but i'm willing to give it benefit of the doubt.

Heart rate is something gamers have fantasised about for ages, and with good reason. Regardless of genre, it gives the designers some parameters to work with to create a better atmosphere.

Action and horror (enemies and levels tailored to your stress level, or perhaps changing your characters attitude). Puzzle (changing music, speed, etc). Sports (adjusting your stress in game, missing shots, more focus etc). RTS (your troops trust you more when calm). There could be uses for it, just use your imaginations.

Ideally though (for use in traditional games), this tech needs to be worked into a new nunchuck, perhaps slipping your finger in to access the Z button

However it is disappointing Nintendo felt the need to show off this peripheral without software to back it up, but i'm willing to give it benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure that's what Miyamoto will be doing tonight.

I'm not going to pass judgement on the sensor itself, it's not for me but i'm sure it has it's audience. However, these ideas of yours are impossible. The developer would be asking the player to control their own heartbeat, which is not a skill your average person has.

It could be useful for making your character's actions mimic your emotions though. In horror games the higher your heartbeat climbs the more nervous and scared your character could become. Not so much a gameplay feature, more of an aesthetic one. Making it a gameplay feature would, again, result in the player needing to control their own heartbeat.

Luigi's Mansion 2!

Ignoring the whole nunchuk/finger clip thing.

It could be interesting if used in connection to something like Rez, building the tempo of the music with the heartbeat.

Still, seems pretty pointless and a waste of R&D time and money if you ask me.

Come on, when Zechs is against Nintendo, you gotta figure they did bad (no offence)

You visited the ExciteBots thread recently?

Anyway, it's a shame that an "announcement" which barely got a few mins stage time is being given more attention than Galaxy 2 and Golden Sun DS.

Also, about the Miyamoto conference: Can we view it? Or is it secret?

You visited the ExciteBots thread recently?

Anyway, it's a shame that an "announcement" which barely got a few mins stage time is being given more attention than Galaxy 2 and Golden Sun DS.

Also, about the Miyamoto conference: Can we view it? Or is it secret?

I think we can view it, not sure... 1.30am, right?

We can probably read a live blog, they're probably not going to be allowing video cameras in again like last year.

After hearing the RTS suggestion though, perhaps Pikmin 3 will be using this?

I think we can view it, not sure... 1.30am, right?

I thought it was 2am, with it being 6pm over there.