NEurope

7 is a good score no? Not that I'm terrible interested in scores, the only games rated fairly are the genuinely bad games, the rest is a lot more subjective.

Thinking back I cannot remember the last time that

a) you posted in a thread about any game with a positive remark

b) you posted in a thread to do anything but start/continue an argument, or flame someone.

This is probably going to get a lovely and hilarious dose of your sarcastic sense of 'humour', but all I'm going to say is grow up and start contributing usefully to this forum (by which I mean actually be positive about something for once) or there is no point in you even being here. Yes?

The paranoid in me suspects that tissuetown is someone else's second account to troll, always here on moments like this, always negative, never with personal input.

I went to the Nintendo tour today and they didn't have New Super Mario Bros Wii or Spirit Tracks, the only game that hasn't been released they had was Wii Fit Plus, so that was disappointing.

Thinking back I cannot remember the last time that

a) you posted in a thread about any game with a positive remark

b) you posted in a thread to do anything but start/continue an argument, or flame someone.

This is probably going to get a lovely and hilarious dose of your sarcastic sense of 'humour', but all I'm going to say is grow up and start contributing usefully to this forum (by which I mean actually be positive about something for once) or there is no point in you even being here. Yes?

I was under the impression that this was a discussion forum, and not a post nice positive things forum.

I am contesting a poster who is preaching opinion as fact.

What I have posted thus far in this thread falls well within the terms of service.

And no, I do not have to say something positive about the game that is currently the topic of discussion. I haven't said anything about it at all, other than a review a magazine wrote about said game, which was part of the discussion.

Now stop pestering me.

Stop talking about the edge score just because there is a very likely chance you can't understand the text :)

All jokes aside( ya it was a bad one sorry).. I like edge usually. They go mad sometimes, and sometimes you feel it's just to be controvesial but I think thats the way games should be marked. 5 = average and this got 7 meaning it's above average.

I wonder how many actually read the review. I haven't myself but I think its a fair score.

Stop talking about the edge score just because there is a very likely chance you can't understand the text :)

All jokes aside( ya it was a bad one sorry).. I like edge usually. They go mad sometimes, and sometimes you feel it's just to be controvesial but I think thats the way games should be marked. 5 = average and this got 7 meaning it's above average.

I wonder how many actually read the review. I haven't myself but I think its a fair score.

Well that's the thing. A lot of people don't read the reviews. They made it clear that the number is essentially meaningless, and have thought about getting rid altogether. They just keep it in there as per tradition. Remember back in the day when each number actually meant something? 9 = excellent, 10 = revolutionary etc.

Now it's just 9 = nine, 10 = ten. You interpret how you want to interpret the numbers, but in the end, the review is there to be read. I myself have read the review for NSMB, and I think the review is very fair. Again, the number means nothing to me, and I just find it ridiculous how people pounce on Edge when they practically slap on a number, when they probably don't think much about it.

So number aside. What did they say?

They said...

"New Super Mario Bros is like a good dog... it's good!"

So number aside. What did they say?

To put it short:

It doesn't have the "magic" the other Mario games have.

I would probably sum it up like that, except add a little extra to what you said:

It doesn't have the "magic" other Mario games have, but it's still a good game.

They certainly didn't say it was bad, just that it wasn't as good as previous games in the series.

Also: pestering means something like annoying frequently and persistently. I only said it once. That isn't pestering. Chillax yo' boots.

Hmm, also not technically pedantic as that implies that I corrected some tiny error that he made. I was simply pointing out the meaning of a word that was used incorrectly. Much like I'm doing now.

Note: If you don't realise this is a joke... I... I just don't know what to say. Get out.

Also: What the hell would pedantic boy do with a rope and a dominatrix whip?! Other than the obvious anyway.

They certainly didn't say it was bad, just that it wasn't as good as previous games in the series.

anyone could have guessed that the moment it was announced. you must be a moron if you thought it would be as good as, say, 3 or World

nintendo very rarely use their "magic" these days. IMO they have only released 3 "magic" games this whole decade.

This is going to sound like a stupid question but... what do you mean by magic in the first place?

well in that case. This game isn't going to have much of that no. Super mario galaxy was full of it though.

well in that case. This game isn't going to have much of that no. Super mario galaxy was full of it though.

This. Half-Life 2, Super Mario Galaxy, and the likes all include wow moments for me. What makes a great game have multiple wow moments? Diversity.

I'd say plottwists, like in Superstar Saga and Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door or in certain zelda games like Twilight Princess and The Windwaker.

It's usually the story that does it for me.

This game should get rated atleast a 6.

Oh I kid, just laughing at yet another thread that's been destroyed by talk of scores. Or maybe it was this same thread that also just got onto talking about the scoring system of games, just a few pages back. I don't know, but either way, would everyone just stop now. It's getting old.

I came here to talk about...

6 HOURS GAMEPLAY!

What do you guys think?

Apparently the single player, when rushed through, lasts 6 hours long. That's pretty damn epic.

For a side scroller obviously.

anyone could have guessed that the moment it was announced. you must be a moron if you thought it would be as good as, say, 3 or World

nintendo very rarely use their "magic" these days. IMO they have only released 3 "magic" games this whole decade.

Well no, obviously. I was talking about the Mario series as a whole, and I was specifically talking about their comment about the 'magic' that you mention. They were saying it doesn't have the Mario magic that some of the games have, but that it isn't a bad game because of this, just that it could have been better.

I have to agree about the Wind Waker, Prime and Galaxy thing though. I can't think of any more games that have made me go 'good god, that's good' since, apart from Wii Sports simply because of how it demonstrated the Wii's interface. And I certainly wouldn't say it had that wow factor now (unlike the other games mentioned, which I still find myself going back to play)

metroid prime and wind waker

Totally agree. Nintendo's Mario games are still mechanically excellent, but (going by the DS game), they are no longer inspired. In my opinion, you get magic when someone has an artistic vision and carries it out perfectly (like the games you mentioned). If you look at Super Mario World, the graphics, music and everything else are literally perfect, and I think this is generally true of the SNES era - Nintendo knew exactly what to do with their franchises. This generation, I keep getting the feeling they're not having these great ideas.

Don't get me wrong though, this looks good and I'm looking forward to it.

Dante, can I ask where you got those from? Does Nintendo have an online image archive for press related stuff?

This game should get rated atleast a 6.

Oh I kid, just laughing at yet another thread that's been destroyed by talk of scores. Or maybe it was this same thread that also just got onto talking about the scoring system of games, just a few pages back. I don't know, but either way, would everyone just stop now. It's getting old.

I came here to talk about...

6 HOURS GAMEPLAY!

What do you guys think?

Apparently the single player, when rushed through, lasts 6 hours long. That's pretty damn epic.

For a side scroller obviously.

6 hours for a side scroller doesn't seem that long at all.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost