NEurope

super princess peach had a better graphic style and fresh new ideas. I think it's underated too. Probably not better though in fairness.

I tried SPP, I was bored by the second level. I did love how sexist it was.

super princess peach had a better graphic style and fresh new ideas. I think it's underated too. Probably not better though in fairness.

Yeah the graphical style was fantastic and the amount of unlockables were great. Yup playing that game was such a joy.

Maybe people are just tired of seeing Mario? Or Nintendo in general.

We'll see how sick people are of Mario and Nintendo when this has been on store shelves for six months. I'm guessing there'll be more interest in this than almost every game released this year, probably with the exception of Modern Warfare 2.

so exited to play this again, did anyone see the vid from the finale i posted with charles martinet and ian lee playing, it was so funny being there with him doing all the voices :) anyone else go?

2D platformers on consoles just haven't been in the hardcore crowds psyche since the early 32bit and 8/16bit days. The only reason a 2D game will gain lavish praise from core gamers is if it 'looks' good. Muramasa for instance. LBP as another - even though that ended up being very cheap very quickly. NSMB doesn't look like it is doing anything over and beyond. Although under the hood it apparently is?!

I've been replaying the DS version as of late to build hype for this outing and even though it recycles some good old Mario from the 8 and especially 16 bit days, it has moments where it is exceptionally fresh. Some of the ideas in NSMB are sublime. Play it through and you may just be surprised.

I'm not surprised this is being slightly ignored as such. No doubt the single player mode will be one of the freshest experiences of the year. Mario in 2D always is.

See I'm really not seeing this at all...from what I played (yes in multiplayer but bear with me the point is still there to be made) the level design didn't feel at all inspired or fresh in the least bit...for all its floatly platforming and wierd 3 planes controls at last LBP's single player offered a different a and refreshing experience...

See I'm really not seeing this at all...from what I played (yes in multiplayer but bear with me the point is still there to be made) the level design didn't feel at all inspired or fresh in the least bit...for all its floatly platforming and wierd 3 planes controls at last LBP's single player offered a different a and refreshing experience...

From what I've seen of the vids, it actually reminds me very much of Super Mario Bros. on the NES and not so much of Mario World. I'm not saying that's a terrible thing, as I love Super Mario Bros. but I would kind of liked a successor to Mario World with the same feel. But saying that the map screen reminded me off Super Mario Bros. 3. So all in all, it reminds me more of the 8 bit games.

From what I've seen of the vids, it actually reminds me very much of Super Mario Bros. on the NES and not so much of Mario World. I'm not saying that's a terrible thing, as I love Super Mario Bros. but I would kind of liked a successor to Mario World with the same feel. But saying that the map screen reminded me off Super Mario Bros. 3. So all in all, it reminds me more of the 8 bit games.

Thats exactly the same vibe that im getting.

The amount of hype this is getting across various forums is great, methinks this will do serious numbers during Christmas and long after. Nintendo may have another Mario Kart on its hands.

From what I've seen of the vids, it actually reminds me very much of Super Mario Bros. on the NES and not so much of Mario World. I'm not saying that's a terrible thing, as I love Super Mario Bros. but I would kind of liked a successor to Mario World with the same feel.
Same feeling I get.

Think it might be down to the 3D levels looking so bare and quite characterless!

Same feeling I get.

Think it might be down to the 3D levels looking so bare and quite characterless!

So you're saying the original Mario Bros. has no character? :o

So you're saying the original Mario Bros. has no character? :o
The original Mario Bros gets its charm from being the first Mario adventure, the NES sprites, and being what it was at the time it was created.

This just looks quite bland and lacking in the character Super Mario World was able to add in order to move the series forward.

But then again, until I play it there's no real way of knowing. I'm still really looking forward to it, I just think they could have done so much more with the overall style.

I think that's down to the multiplayer elements - Miyamoto said they had to make every platform big enough to accomodate four players comfortably, and that's led to the levels feeling a little sparse in places. A bit like the tracks in Mario kart Wii that had to be made bigger to fit more players, the result was that it lost some of the sensation of speed from the previous games.

We'll see how sick people are of Mario and Nintendo when this has been on store shelves for six months. I'm guessing there'll be more interest in this than almost every game released this year, probably with the exception of Modern Warfare 2.

So you're saying that the more something is on store shelves, the less sick they are of it? That doesn't make much sense. I also like how you mention MW2 because that seems to be the only non-Nintendo game you will get.

So you're saying that the more something is on store shelves, the less sick they are of it? That doesn't make much sense. I also like how you mention MW2 because that seems to be the only non-Nintendo game you will get.

Huh, that's not what he is saying at all. Well I dont think so anyway. To me it seems he is just saying that this game will have better sales in the long run than any other game released this xmas, with the possible exception of Modern Warfare 2.

Reasonable point if you ask me.

Huh, that's not what he is saying at all. Well I dont think so anyway. To me it seems he is just saying that this game will have better sales in the long run than any other game released this xmas, with the possible exception of Modern Warfare 2.

Reasonable point if you ask me.

There are loads of other games that will gather as much as interest as NSMB.

There are loads of other games that will gather as much as interest as NSMB.

In the long run? I don't think so. Except Wii Fit Plus :)

What do you think will still be selling really well in 6 months?

I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere in this thread as a quote from Miyamoto. It's the same with all Mario games really, they have a long shelf-life compared to other games because so many people want them.

And obviously Wii fit plus will sell, people will see it and think 'we already have a wii fit board, but we never use it any more... lets get it out again with this!'

I'm pretty sure this game will see healthy sales... only time will tell, but I'm pretty sure.

It will sell more than Galaxy.

I assumed you knew. Do you not know? How can you tell whether this game will sell more if you don't even know how many Galaxy has sold?

I assumed you knew. Do you not know? How can you tell whether this game will sell more if you don't even know how many Galaxy has sold?

All I know is that it didn't sell as much as it should have. I don't know the exact numbers so I'm not gonna make it up. I suppose I should go find out then.

Yeah. A paltry 1 million (rounded) In Japan and 8 mil worldwide. Should have sold more than everything else on the Wii.

I took your advice. Looks like it has sold just over 8m copies as of March this year. Since the start of this year it has sold over 800k copies, so I think by now we can assume its much closer to 9m, if not above that. That being said it didn't have a great first few weeks, being beaten by Assassin's Creed and a few others that were also released then.

But like Miyamoto said, Mario games have legs. It sold much better than Assassins Creed when the first few weeks had past, and had overtaken it after not too long.

Lets hope NSMBWii manages the same sort of thing, those figures are pretty healthy in the end. It's the 6th best selling Wii title Worldwide (and considering the top 4 is Wii sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play and Mario Kart - all of which have bundled attachments, that's pretty good)

Edited by Nintendohnut
a terrible, terrible error

I took your advice. Looks like it has sold just over 8m copies as of March this year. In the first three months of the year it sold 800k copies, so I think by now we can assume its much closer to 9m, if not above that. That being said it didn't have a great first few weeks, being beaten by Assassin's Creed and a few others that were also released then.

But like Miyamoto said, Mario games have legs. It sold much better than Assassins Creed when the first few weeks had past, and had overtaken it after not too long.

Lets hope NSMBWii manages the same sort of thing, those figures are pretty healthy in the end. It's the 6th best selling Wii title Worldwide (and considering the top 4 is Wii sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play and Mario Kart - all of which have bundled attachments, that's pretty good)

Clearly a failure.