NEurope
fex

Windows 7

My mate said he would lend me his, however he'd probabky want a copy as well. So unless theres someway for us both to use the same product key?

Unless the key allows 2 users, then no unfortunately. Sorry

My mate said he would lend me his, however he'd probabky want a copy as well. So unless theres someway for us both to use the same product key?

He can order the 32bit and 64bit version. That way he'll get 2 keys and at least in Win Vista they worked with either version.

If you are going down this route it's just the same as you downloading it from a torrent/warez site, so just quit with the faffing and pirate it the new fashioned way.

If you are going down this route it's just the same as you downloading it from a torrent/warez site, so just quit with the faffing and pirate it the new fashioned way.

I'd rather have the legitimate version, I can't be arsed to deal with MGA.

Money isn't the issue here, so I don't mind paying.

- Anyway my IT teacher said he would look into getting me a college email address, a lot of other students have been asking about it too.

I have a question; I have a intel dual core processor - how do I upgrade it to a 64-bit processor?

Edit: I've read this article: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/intel/intel-hiding-features-from-users-153822.php

It claims that my processor is 64-bit capable, can anyone confirm this?

Edited by The Lillster

I have a question; I have a intel dual core processor - how do I upgrade it to a 64-bit processor?

If it's an Intel Core 2 Duo then you have a 64 bit capable processor. If it's a Intel Core Duo then it's only 32 bit capable.

Core Duos work only with 32 bit systems, Core 2 Duos with 32 bit and 64 bit systems.

If it's an Intel Core 2 Duo then you have a 64 bit capable processor. If it's a Intel Core Duo then it's only 32 bit capable.

Core Duos work only with 32 bit systems, Core 2 Duos with 32 bit and 64 bit systems.

Hmm... well it's a 1.60Ghz x2 processor. Does that sound like the 64-bit version?

Can someone make/link to a guide for switching from Vista to Windows 7. I'm not attempting it until I know what I'm doing because I dont know if it is a tricky process.

Yeah you login, put the disc in and start it up, and choose upgrade installation.

I thought I might have to do something with Vista first. It wouldn't upgrade but I think I have done it right.

Hmm... well it's a 1.60Ghz x2 processor. Does that sound like the 64-bit version?

A more detailed processor name would help.

Press Windows-Key + R (or Start -> Run), type in "dxdiag" (without the ""), then write here what it says next to Processor.

I know with older versions you just got a corporate volume license which could go over as many computers as you want..

But I have a funny feeling they may have stopped this because its basically a free for all for anybody who works in a company with a copy :P

I'm assuming that uni students would just get a single use serial number.

I know with older versions you just got a corporate volume license which could go over as many computers as you want..

But I have a funny feeling they may have stopped this because its basically a free for all for anybody who works in a company with a copy :P

I'm assuming that uni students would just get a single use serial number.

I would assume that as well, otherwise it would be a free-for-all within the uni as well.

A more detailed processor name would help.

Press Windows-Key + R (or Start -> Run), type in "dxdiag" (without the ""), then write here what it says next to Processor.

Genuine Intel CPU T2060 @ 1.60Ghz (2CPUs), ~1.6Ghz

Err.. never heard of the T2060 but there was a T2050 which is the entry level Core Duo.

I looked at a few pages google came up with and nobody seems to exactly know what the T2060 is but I think it's safe to assume that it's 32-bit only.

Right, ok might as well build my own PC then.

What exactly do I need to buy?...

1. CPU

2. Mother board

3. Case

4. Power Supply

5. Ram

6. Disc Drive

7. HDD

8. Sound Card

9. Lan and WiFi card

10. Keyboard

11. Monitor

12. Mouse

Anything else?

I mainly just want the abbility to run windows 7 in 64-bit mode, I'll be using it mostly for web design (photoshop, etc...) and i'm not really a pc gamer but i'd like to be able to run Starcraft 2 at a decent speed. I don't care about High Definition at the moment. The abbility to upgrade to HD later on would be nice.

Cheers.

Most motherboards have decent onboard sound and you can get ones with WiFi too, apart from that everything else seems fine.

Oh, make sure you get a good CPU cooler and thermal paste.

Edit: Just seen you forgot your Graphics Card!

Most motherboards have decent onboard sound and you can get ones with WiFi too, apart from that everything else seems fine.

Oh, make sure you get a good CPU cooler and thermal paste.

Edit: Just seen you forgot your Graphics Card!

Ok cool. How hard is it to put it altogether, should I buy a book?

Oh yeh Graphics card lol.

Is ebuyer.com still good or are there better alternatives?

Don't bother with a book, you can find brilliant guides easily online for free, and yeah, defiantly make sure you get a good CPU Cooler. The fans that come with CPUs are usually noisy and consume quite a bit of energy. If you want one that's not too expensive and isn't particularly, I'd recommend a fan/heat sink hybrid (which is what I've got).

Don't bother with a book, you can find brilliant guides easily online for free, and yeah, defiantly make sure you get a good CPU Cooler. The fans that come with CPUs are usually noisy and consume quite a bit of energy. If you want one that's not too expensive and isn't particularly, I'd recommend a fan/heat sink hybrid (which is what I've got).

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Why didn't I just click the thanks button instead?!?

Edited by The Lillster

I'd stick with the on-board graphics for now, the latest AMD IGPs are pretty decent and you can always add in a dedicated card at a later date (note: ATi's 5*** series GPUs are hitting the market at the moment, not a good time to be buying a dedicated card anyway). If it was me i'd probably grab this board along with the Phenom II X4 620;

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-am3-amd-785g-ddr3-matx-a-l-63XY.html

Add in 4GB DDR3, a mid-range Case/PSU combo, a 1TB HDD and a DVD drive and you've got a pretty good machine for ~£300 with great upgrade potential!

Edited by McPhee