NEurope
fex

Windows 7

Straight from the horses mouth regarding the upgrade:

Installing a custom version of Windows. Choose Custom to completely replace your current operating system, or to install Windows on a specific drive or partition that you select. You can also use Custom if your computer doesn't have an operating system, or if you want to set up a multiboot system on your computer. For more information about setting up a multiboot system, see Install more than one operating system (multiboot).

On a second page within the win 7 website:

If your computer doesn't have an operating system installed—or if you want to create, extend, delete, or format partitions—you need to restart your computer with the installation disc inserted into your DVD drive or use a USB flash drive if you purchased and downloaded Windows 7 online. This causes your computer to start (or "boot") from the installation disc.

I'm getting Pro through the student thing and I'll be getting a copy of Home premium I pre-ordered from Comet, I didn't see no option to cancel it.

Anyone know where I'll be able to sell it off? Think I'd make a profit?

Remember, you have 7 days from receiving an item from an online store in which you can simply change your mind and return it.

Be better of Ebaying it surely. As long as it's brand new, unopened and still sealed, you should be able to make a little profit on what you paid for it, and still sell it for a good price to the buyer.

I'm sure you're safe to do that, unless anyone wants to correct me...

I hate selling things on ebay I remembered so I just emailed them and they cancelled it. That's 45 quid to go towards this weekend.

Word on the street is that due to the potential postal strikes some retailers have been given the go ahead by microsoft to ship early. Notable retailers are PC world and Amazon.

I hate selling things on ebay I remembered so I just emailed them and they cancelled it. That's 45 quid to go towards this weekend.

Agreed. You have to wait for it to sell, then pay part of the price to eBay then pay part of the price to PayPal, then eBay sneakily put a quarterly direct debit in your bank, then PayPal randomly takes money from your bank account then refuses to tell you why.

I doubt I'll use eBay again for personal things. For work, it's a different matter as half my job revolves around it.

Word on the street is that due to the potential postal strikes some retailers have been given the go ahead by microsoft to ship early. Notable retailers are PC world and Amazon.

Mine (from Amazon) was dispatched today.

Mine (from Amazon) was dispatched today.

Mine comes from Comet, they own their own delivery service. I have kind of forgot what day i have set for delivery.

I just randomly discovered I can now resize icons on my desktop the way I would in a browser/explorer window, ctrl+scroll wheel. Is that new to w7, or was that present in Vista? (I could just get up and check on my g/f's laptop, or wait til I'm at work tomorrow, but I'm lazy.)

That was in Visssta you shorty short thing ahghfghgghg

Microsoft could have been kind and let me download it early... not that I'd install it now... but.

I just randomly discovered I can now resize icons on my desktop the way I would in a browser/explorer window, ctrl+scroll wheel. Is that new to w7, or was that present in Vista? (I could just get up and check on my g/f's laptop, or wait til I'm at work tomorrow, but I'm lazy.)

You can do that in Vista as well.

Ah quit pretending you knew that already and didn't just check as soon as I said it :heh:

I just gave it a go and had a lot of fun making everything extremely small.

Can't believe I've had it this long and I didn't know about it.

I totally forgot that 64-bit existed. I decided to install that version (my HDD needed wiping anyway) as I got both disks.

Ah quit pretending you knew that already and didn't just check as soon as I said it :heh:

Apologies, i should really have known this before-hand. I knew you could do it on a web-browser, making the text bigger and all that.

So I'ma quite tired right now and I got an email from the big M saying I can get my copy of 7 downloaded now. 3GB of the stuff I should wait for the disc actually.

Anyways what I want to ask is, in the email it says it's a Win 7 Upgrade. It confused me. I can still do a Custom install with this can't I? It's not just stupid naming is it?

Anyways what I want to ask is, in the email it says it's a Win 7 Upgrade. It confused me. I can still do a Custom install with this can't I? It's not just stupid naming is it?

I did a custom install (64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium) over a 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium (and I did it the "Format" way, not the "windows.old" folder way) with the Upgrade.

I'm not quite sure how they know I even had Vista...

Cheers. Can't wait to fresh install it.

But, damn getting everything backed up for this is taking a while. I've got so much crap that I don't want to lose it's ridiculous.

Cheers. Can't wait to fresh install it.

But, damn getting everything backed up for this is taking a while. I've got so much crap that I don't want to lose it's ridiculous.

I've been tidying up everything so all i have to copy/back-up are about 6 folders containing everything i wish to take-over to Windows 7.

Still, i can't remember when i asked for delivery for 7. Not sure if it is today or tomorrow i asked for. At least it's not getting delivered by the Royal Mail (which is a plus)

. I can still do a Custom install with this can't I? It's not just stupid naming is it?

I would say make reference to my post at the top of the page. You can apparently even do an install on the upgrade version without having an OS already on the machine. At least with the student offer they were doing.

My copy of Windows 7 arrived earlier. At this moment in time, i am running the final back-up of all my files ready for installation.

I got Windows 7 Home Premium through the post a few days ago from Dixons, on Tuesday I think. However, I can't be bothered to install it just yet, due to the fact that I still have tons of files I need to sort first.

I think what I'm not going to enjoy the most is sorting steam out. And also re installing a few things. But 64 bit and win 7 should be able to make more of my hardware, and I might slap in that 2 gig of ram I was flogging a while back.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html this might help you with the move, grabbing serial numbers and giving you a list of installed programs.

Edited by Ten10

I reinstalled yesterday. Painless. I'm re-ripping my music and DVD collection now, it was getting messy so I figured I'd start again. All my files are on my old HDD, waiting on a caddy to grab what i need.

Agreed on the Steam factor, that's going to be a real nightmare. I installed Team Fortress 2 last week and it took about 8 hours to grab the updates for just that single game! Also, the thought of having to tackle the nightmare Empire: Total War install is not making me smile, it took 3 days to get it working last time :(