NEurope
fex

Windows 7

No, I'm pretty sure you can't update from the release candidate to a full version without a complete wipe, although I could be wrong. A completely new installation means you will lose absolutely everything. That means things you want to backup might include save games, bookmarks, music playlists etc..

You're not meant to be able to do it but its actually very easy to do.

I did it this morning following this guide here.

Very simple process, now running the full version of Windows 7 Ultimate with no hitches in the installation process whatsoever.

Aw. Dayum, I just reinstalled it on my netbook from scratch :heh: Granted, there wasn't a huge amount of stuff to backup (about 2 gig) but still, would've been nice to know!

(I'm not getting Ultimate so can't use that)

How will I install it? Just back up my shit, then just put the disk in? Will it auto-wipe my shit?

Windows 7 is quite good compared to Vista...much quicker. I have Windows 7 on my laptop. I do like the taskbar and how it compacts the windows into just one icon. The annoying thing is though sometimes it is confusing when you want to go to a particular tab as it previews over hover.

I do however like the snap feature as it provides good space when I am editing the css and html of my website designs. It also runs photoshop pretty well.

I also rarely ever use the dock of programs at the top of the screen, which is much like the dock you would find on a Mac...

I wish however I could still play Worms Armageddon on Windows 7 as it's for Windows 98/XP.

I also rarely ever use the dock of programs at the top of the screen, which is much like the dock you would find on a Mac...

Eh? What dock do you mean?

Eh? What dock do you mean?

It sounds a piece of crapware that comes installed on most branded computers. From the description of the pointless Mac-Style bar at the top, I'll hazard a guess at Dell.

It sounds a piece of crapware that comes installed on most branded computers. From the description of the pointless Mac-Style bar at the top, I'll hazard a guess at Dell.

Dell PC's come with these bars, as my Uncle's PC (which i installed) had one of them pre-installed. They are crap to be fair.

I like Windows 7 a lot, but I'm getting a bit annoyed with the occasional black screen after playing a game or whatever, and only being able to hard reboot to get out of it. It's happened so many times now, and it's no good for your filesystem constantly switching the PC off in this manner. :mad:

I think I'm going to be switching to Windows 7, but can people answer me these:

1. Where's the cheapest/safest place I can get it from

2. how many times can you install it? Can I use the one disc for my laptop and my desktop?

3. How much better is it to Vista? I know its pretty good, but if I have no issues with Vista is it worth it..?

^_^

They do cheaper discounts for uni students buying Win7

link

Legally, one computer per license.

They do cheaper discounts for uni students buying Win7

link

Legally, one computer per license.

I thought they'd gotten rid of this offer! Awesome, thankyou Sheikah. :grin:

I have to agree, Windows 7 does seem a lot more stable and smoother than Vista....I have not tested the endurance or longevity of Win 7 but we will see. Hopefully Windows 7 will be as remarkable as XP in its time!

I would like to install windows 7 64 bit on my Acer today but I worried about functionality, drivers for printers, adobe and CAD programs not working.

Should I wait a while?

Windows 7 and especially 64 bit is not going to work well with several software and drivers. Some of MS's own stuff will not run well. Adobe dont seem to care enough about 64 bit on windows etc.

At the same time 32 bit has issues anyway.

It's completely correct if all your devices are ten years old.

Choze, you do realise that is complete bollocks, right?

I think I've found your answer...

:heh:

I think I've found your answer...

:heh:

I was trying not to be insulting :rolleyes:

Choze, you do realise that is complete bollocks, right?

Well Windows 7 understandably has more compatibility issues than any OS on the market. So the bollocks joke is on you. :laughing:

Not really worth arguing with, are you? Your other post already made it pretty clear that you're still incapable of doing anything but talking out of your arse.

If you're right then why don't you go ahead and list some compelling reasons why people shouldn't go with 64-bit Windows (the initial question that you were "answering")? What software and drivers don't work? Which bits of Microsoft's own software catalogue don't run on the 64-bit OS?

There are reasons against, but they pretty much boil down to there being hardware incompatibility with legacy hardware. That's hardware that the manufacturers themselves have long since abandoned and stopped developing for. There's also legacy software compatibility (particularly with old games) but that's a different issue that's common on all version of Windows since Vista, they removed support for some of the older graphical technologies.

Well Windows 7 understandably has more compatibility issues than any OS on the market. So the bollocks joke is on you. :laughing:

Really? I thought that the vast majority of hardware simply wouldn't be recognised by the Mac operating system...

Really? I thought that the vast majority of hardware simply wouldn't be recognised by the Mac operating system...

Not even that, but on a Mac, if you boot with a card the system doesn't have a kernel extension for, it kernel panics, and it can be a mess if you forget this when you reinstall (so upgrading your video is a shit in comparison to Windows)

Windows has to deal with a lot more hardware. Windows is easily the most compatible software platform of any, and not just by a small amount, but by a ridiculous amount