NEurope
fex

Windows 7

To anyone who got the Student deal and ordered the disc.

Have you got it yet? I got the email for the download last week, Wednesday I think, but I'm still waiting on the disc.

It's really annoying I downloaded the file whilst waiting for it to arrive, it finished downloading, I go to run it and it shows an error. Typical really.

Take it its the 64 bit version. Will post instructions in the morning.

The morning:

Ok the specific error you receive should just be ignored. It relates to unpack 64 bit files onto a 32 bit system. (that's the simplest way to explain it)

So as to not take credit for the process on how to continue please visit this link:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/

Make sure you back up your data either using windows easy transfer or some other method.

Then follow this guide here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

Edited by Ten10

Not to sound like a noob here, but what's this I hear about driver support? From what I've heard, Win7 installs all the drivers for you without needing to insert a disc, is this correct?

Also, I've heard of a slight issue that's putting me off installing. Apparently, some peeps are having trouble with thier external hard drives with 7; corrupt files/folders, inacessable folders, some don't even get recognised or don't show up in explorer. Can someone clarify this for me? I'm using a Western Digital 500gb external.

Thanks if anyone can help!

Um yeah pretty much windows 7 installed everything for me. Like my samsung sycmaster monitor and updates everything as needed too. Everything has worked right off the bat for me but I'm just installing the utilities, but I think vista had the same sort of functionality.

I can confirm the issues with external drives are correct. But I believe for me it may have been due me moving from 32 bit to 64. But what I did was transfer the files to my laptop (32 bit) and then get them back onto the main pc over network. It was much better this way because using the hard drive I was quoted for transfer time of 24 days. Over network I got 20 minutes.

Lol, try re-downloading it?

o________O With the internet here?

Take it its the 64 bit version. Will post instructions in the morning.

The morning:

Ok the specific error you receive should just be ignored. It relates to unpack 64 bit files onto a 32 bit system. (that's the simplest way to explain it)

So as to not take credit for the process on how to continue please visit this link:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/

Make sure you back up your data either using windows easy transfer or some other method.

Then follow this guide here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

:hmm:

I think I'll just wait for the disc. I'm on a 64 bit Vista so that first sentence I didn't think applied to me.

Um yeah pretty much windows 7 installed everything for me. Like my samsung sycmaster monitor and updates everything as needed too. Everything has worked right off the bat for me but I'm just installing the utilities, but I think vista had the same sort of functionality.

I can confirm the issues with external drives are correct. But I believe for me it may have been due me moving from 32 bit to 64. But what I did was transfer the files to my laptop (32 bit) and then get them back onto the main pc over network. It was much better this way because using the hard drive I was quoted for transfer time of 24 days. Over network I got 20 minutes.

Ta for that, although the external hard drive issue is quite worrying, I have all my music, video, etc on my external. Maybe I should hold off installing 7 until the issue's resolved? :/

Not to sound like a noob here, but what's this I hear about driver support? From what I've heard, Win7 installs all the drivers for you without needing to insert a disc, is this correct?!

It did it for me, never needed to run my web-cam disk as it installed the newest version of the software automatically.

Anyway as I was saying before something for firefox users: Winfox not tested myself so can't vouch for it. What do you know it works like a dream.

Edited by Ten10

It did it for me, never needed to run my web-cam disk as it installed the newest version of the software automatically.

Cool, sounds good to me, thanks for that!

The whole external hard drive issue is putting me off though. Looking through some posts on other forums, it appears that peeps are even having this issue with the 32-bit version.

Come to think of it, my processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.13GHz (1066FSB). So that means it's 64-bit, right? So if I can go for 64-bit, I'd have the same issue.... bugger. :/

Some things still need you to install the drivers manually. I had to download the driver for my wireless card.

Anyway as I was saying before something for firefox users: Winfox not tested myself so can't vouch for it. What do you know it works like a dream.

Never heard of it.

Winfox gives jump list functionality to firefox. Much like with Internet Explorer

Just ran the upgrade advisor, to double check a few things, and it seems... odd.

- "Your current graphics card won't support the Aero interface." Erm, what? Even a GeForce 8800 isn't enough?! O.o

- "Creative game port; The Driver installed is not compatible with Windows 7." No idea what this is, unless it's my sound card. But then it says my Audigy sound card is fine in the setion below it.

- Interestingly, my external hard drive should work, so it says. Hmmmmm...

It also says I need a custom installation of 32-bit Win7 on my system. I'm aware of the custom install being needed, but can I go 64-bit, as my processor is 64?

It also says I need a custom installation of 32-bit Win7 on my system. I'm aware of the custom install being needed, but can I go 64-bit, as my processor is 64?

I went 64-bit through a custom installation (I had 32-bit Vista beforehand).

I went 64-bit through a custom installation (I had 32-bit Vista beforehand).

Thanks again, just wanted to be sure.

My cousin is running Windows 7 on his pc, so I'm going to pop round his tomorrow to test my external hard drive. Although it's the 32-bit version, but I'm hoping it doesn't make that much of a difference...

I just thought I'd share that with you people: When you middle-click on a program on the taskbar, you open another instance of it - pretty useful with explorer windows.

Out of interest, did anyone get the browser ballot thing come up. I guess since I got mine through digital river it was just the US version so no biggie. But it would have been interesting to check it out.

Ah never mind. Its not out enforce yet. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/23/windows_seven_ballot_browser/

I was wondering about that. I also thought that WMP wasn't supposed to come with Windows, either.

So today I decided to fob off uni work and play Fallout 3 while installing Windows 7.

I was stunned by the ease of installing it.

Having loads of fun shaking the windows.

One thing I can't figure: When a program is pinned to the task bar and opened it doesn't create a new icon on the task bar... right? However iTunes is doing just that. Very annoying.

Also, I wanted to create a sort of "stack" icon to pin on the task bar.

Just a quick way to have access to all my Adobe programs for instance.

I've tried StandaloneStack (http://www.chrisnsoft.com/standalonestack/)

But can't actually get it working.

Any other suggestions?

It just seems silly to have 10 programs pinned to a task bar.

I mentioned earlier, that I've ordered a new internal HDD and Windows 7'update version'.

What I want to do is install Windows 7 to the new HDD, but because it's the update version, does that mean I need to install Windows Vista first?

Well, I'm on day three of using Windows 7, my verdict? Very nice! It's so easy to use, and the installation was quite painless. I did have to install my soundcard drivers manually to get my speakers working properly though, but everything else works great. Even my external HDD is working flawlessly (and much faster than on XP!)

The only issues I really have are that Steam can be arsey at times, also Biosock doesn't want to work, and I have no clue how to fix it. But those don't really bother me too much.

I'm off to install CoD4 I think, in a bit folks, and thanks for your help again! ^^

EDIT: CoD4 doesn't work either, and when I try compatibility mode for XP, it asks me to insert the DVD, when it's already in there! I'm getting fed up of this already... ¬¬

Edited by CoolFunkMan

I mentioned earlier, that I've ordered a new internal HDD and Windows 7'update version'.

What I want to do is install Windows 7 to the new HDD, but because it's the update version, does that mean I need to install Windows Vista first?

No.

When you install just go to custom install, and you can just chose which HDD to install to.

Well, I'm on day three of using Windows 7, my verdict? Very nice! It's so easy to use, and the installation was quite painless. I did have to install my soundcard drivers manually to get my speakers working properly though, but everything else works great. Even my external HDD is working flawlessly (and much faster than on XP!)

The only issues I really have are that Steam can be arsey at times, also Biosock doesn't want to work, and I have no clue how to fix it. But those don't really bother me too much.

I'm off to install CoD4 I think, in a bit folks, and thanks for your help again! ^^

EDIT: CoD4 doesn't work either, and when I try compatibility mode for XP, it asks me to insert the DVD, when it's already in there! I'm getting fed up of this already... ¬¬

Why are you trying to install them in compatibility mode? Both of those games should be working out of the box.

Are they not installing? Or not playing after you install them?

I'm installing them normaly, not in compatibility mode. The first time I ran those games, I could get to the main menus with no problem, but they both crashed on the loading screens when I attempted to start new games. I then tried compatibility mode with CoD4, to no avail.