NEurope
fex

Windows 7

I see. I'll look more into it when it comes out.

Just one last question, this version that we've all bought on the cheap isn't an OEM version, meaning I could give the disc to my bro who could install it in parallels to his apple OS, i forgot the name, on his mac?

Well, I've decided to uninstall Vista and put on Windows 7. I can't really see any downside except that I have to install a few programs. Plus I've realised that I don't need 90% of the gunk I have on my PC.

Just one last question, this version that we've all bought on the cheap isn't an OEM version, meaning I could give the disc to my bro who could install it in parallels to his apple OS, i forgot the name, on his mac?

I think you only get one license. So if you're using it yourself then your mate can't install it in Parallels.

Just because it isn't OEM, which is for system builders, doesn't mean you have more than one license. It's for one machine only.

I don't understand why people are buying Windows 7 when you can still download the release candidate, freely and legally, from MS, which will work until next March.

Got it installed. I had to get a driver for my Wireless card (surprisingly, the one on the CD worked).

I had a bit of trouble installing it - I was trying to boot it from my USD HDD. I didn't expect it to be as simple as clicking on the .exe while in Vista.

Something that I'm really pleased about was that I though that my monitor was going. It started getting lines across the screen (until I accidentally knocked the cable when plugging something else in) and the colour/brightness had faded. However, Windows 7 has somehow fixed this (there seemed to be nothing wrong with Vista's settings).

I'm currently installing programs and I think I'll stick to ones that I actualy need. I was going to install Office 07 but I never actually use it...Google Docs should be more than good enough. I think I'll try Avast Free (which is apparently good with Vista) as my Anti-Virus this time.

The taskbar will take some getting used to, but I think it'll be better when I do get used to it.

Something that I'm really pleased about was that I though that my monitor was going. It started getting lines across the screen (until I accidentally knocked the cable when plugging something else in) and the colour/brightness had faded. However, Windows 7 has somehow fixed this (there seemed to be nothing wrong with Vista's settings).
At a guess I would say your video card drivers were not the best ones for your system, and on your fresh installation, Windows update found the right one.

Thats really bad! Greedy bastards, the amount of money they must make on interest! (not that the interest rate is high, but still!!)

It is quite bad, but not that bad as i had the money hidden in a different account for PC updates. I just had to transfer what they took back into my account to balance it out.

If you do a fresh install on a hard drive that already has windows installed then it should copy all the files already on the hard drive into a folder called windows.old. Therefore you shouldn't need to copy anything to back it up, just copy it from windows.old to wherever you want it then delete the folder.

This is indeed true, i won't be formatting the old HDD due to it being quite old and stuff.

Microsoft Agrees to Windows 7 Browser Ballot, Exclusive Details Revealed

Microsoft has long offered one -- and only one -- browser with its market-leading Windows operating system -- Internet Explorer. That inside connection helped it gain over 80 percent of the market at one time, though its lead has now slipped to just below 60 percent of the total browser marketshare. Now, thanks to a 2007 complaint from third-party browser maker Opera and a subsequent investigation by the European Commission (the branch of the European Union that handles business law), that artificial advantage may finally be at an end.

The European Union ruled it was anticompetitive for Microsoft to release Windows 7 without rival browsers to Internet Explorer, which came installed by default. Initially Microsoft opted to release Windows 7 in the EU without IE 8. However, it now has come around and has made a proposal along the lines of what Opera had originally suggested -- a browser balloting scheme.

DailyTech spoke with Opera's Chief Technical Officer HÃ¥kon Wium Lie, the man who first proposed the CSS web standard and a pivotal figure at the browser company, about the development. Mr. Lie expressed happiness that his company's browser might finally get a chance to come directly to users with Windows. He states, "This is good news, we think, that Microsoft put this proposal forward. This will give users access to more browsers. It's good news for users. It's good news for browser makers. And it's good news for web standards."

According to Mr. Lie the currently proposal from Microsoft is to present users a ballot screen during Windows 7 installation. Any browser maker with over 0.5 percent Windows browsing marketshare would be eligible to be on the screen, with a maximum of 10 allowed options. This would mean that Opera, Mozilla's Firefox, Google's Chrome, and Apple's Safari would likely be the browsers presented.

Currently Microsoft is proposing that the user choice of a third party browser triggers an automatic download via a link to the company's site, requiring the Windows 7 user to be internet-connected. Opera is a bit concerned about this, but thinks it's better than the former lack of competition. Opera would prefer a "carry" option, with a copy of each third party's browser prepackaged with Windows Mr. Lie states, "A link could work (but) the benefit of the carry (approach) is that you don't need a fast active internet connection."

While the freedom of choice may place a dent in Microsoft's desktop dominance, one sector that it can expect to stay strong is in corporate deployments. One advantage Internet Explorer does have is strong availability of central management tools which save money and time for IT deployments. Inertia is also on its side; most businesses already have IE deployed as their PC browser of choice. On the topic of the business market Mr. Lie concedes, "It's been very hard to break into that market. It's hard for Microsoft itself to break into that market. You have many businesses still using Internet Explorer 6 or 7."

Mr. Lie believes that mobile and console markets are one of the most promising areas, though, for third party vendors like Opera. Opera's Mini and Mobile browsers are very popular on the mobile market at its browsers are also featured on the bestselling Nintendo Wii. Mr. Lie says that the mobile industry is among the "more receptive" markets to free browser competition.

The Microsoft proposal is still in the formative stages and may see changes. The EU and Microsoft must agree to the exact balloting scheme, but at this point both parties have agreed in principal to make a balloting screen happen. This decision to give third parties a chance is good news for Microsoft, users, and the free market says Mr. Lie. He surmises, "We'll see stronger competition and stronger support of standards from this."

Lol, the Opera dudes are so hopeful. I don't expect this to change much in the marketshare.

Lol, the Opera dudes are so hopeful. I don't expect this to change much in the marketshare.

If anything, it'll mainly help Firefox and Chrome.

Anyway, I really like Windows 7. I think I may actually get the proper version at some point.

I'm pretty sure I posted something like that before but it mysteriously disappeared. But this won't change anything, the opera people will still be dead last until their browser is the only one that appears on this ballot screen. I've tried opera out using the xenocode plugin, didn't like it at all.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if all this complaining led Mozilla/Google to go after the Wii/PS3/DSi.

Someone explain why everyone seems so hyped for Windows 7? Also explain why everyone seems to be pre-ordering it... pre-ording an operating system is a crazy idea. I'll probably pick this up either in the fall or next spring. Installing a new OS during university term-time would be crazy.

I think it's mainly all to do with the fact that the pre-order was so cheap. £50 for a Microsoft OS is unheard of. However I'm somewhat disappointed. I really do feel that it's about time MS charged reasonable prices for their software, lest everyone just pirate it. The £50 offer really ought to have been kept in place for a longer fixed period. How pissed off are people going to be buying this thing only to find that if they'd got an order in for the first 24 hours they would have got it much cheaper? I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to buy it for £150.

I got a pre-order in for £50, but I'm not too sure I'm going to be using it personally. I may just be selling it on for a modest profit. It looks really nice and all that, but I'm mostly a Linux user these days with a bit of XP for gaming.

Maybe MS will talk me into it over the next couple of months. :)

Someone explain why everyone seems so hyped for Windows 7? Also explain why everyone seems to be pre-ordering it...

Because people have the release candidate and like it?

Maybe you could explain what you like about the release candidate for those who didn't download or follow it?

Maybe you could explain what you like about the release candidate for those who didn't download or follow it?

I'd appreciate that too! So far, just going on what I've seen on the internet, it looks very much like Vista....

The new taskbar works great with lots of windows opens, and the "Quick Links" is improved tenfold - the quick link is both a shortcut for opening the program and acts as the taskbar icon (or whatever) for the opened program. Actually...I think I may add most of my programs to it. It seems partly influenced by that Mac thingamajig, but that's hardly a bad thing.

Other than that, it's just loads of little things, and stuff Microsoft haven't really mentioned.

- "Shut Down" is now the default "Shutting Down" method (It was "Hibernate" on Vista)

- Windows Explorer seems to load faster, the libraries is a good idea. It also has better compatibility with more formats (you can edit unprotected ACC audio tags now)

- Calculator has program, stat, date and unit conversion modes.

- The UAC security is much more streamlined.

- It seems to run smoother than Vista, and use up less resources.

- Improved monitor settings, including a handy thing which calibrates your settings for extremely clear text.

- The "Show Desktop" thing on the bottom right.

- Burning ISO files to disk.

- There's some other stuff (I haven't fully explored yet)...but generally it just seems to work better/smoother, and it seems less cluttered.

Edited by Cube

I'm sure I'll get it 'free' with a laptop or desktop I buy at some point in the future. The Windows' tax is my way.

Microsoft have somehow created a buzz on the Internet about this OS that means people are willing to part with money early. Mental.

The new taskbar works great with lots of windows opens, and the "Quick Links" is improved tenfold - the quick link is both a shortcut for opening the program and acts as the taskbar icon (or whatever) for the opened program. Actually...I think I may add most of my programs to it. It seems partly influenced by that Mac thingamajig, but that's hardly a bad thing.

Other than that, it's just loads of little things, and stuff Microsoft haven't really mentioned.

- "Shut Down" is now the default "Shutting Down" method (It was "Hibernate" on Vista)

- Windows Explorer seems to load faster, the libraries is a good idea. It also has better compatibility with more formats (you can edit unprotected ACC audio tags now)

- Improved monitor settings, including a handy thing which calibrates your settings for extremely clear text.

- There's some other stuff (I haven't fully explored yet)...but generally it just seems to work better/smoother, and it seems less cluttered.

You can change the button in Vista to Shut down and the Show Desktop thing is on the left (if it is what I think it is).

But yeah, I'm curious about the new taskbar.

have they announced the free games ? i am a real sucker for them. vista was a great OS on accoount of Chess titans... One day they will include a hardcore shooter i hope as a packaged game

You can change the button in Vista to Shut down and the Show Desktop thing is on the left (if it is what I think it is).

But it's still in a much better place. Plus if you like gadgets on your desktop then you can hover over the button to look at them. It's small, but it's still nice.

I'd appreciate that too! So far, just going on what I've seen on the internet, it looks very much like Vista....

It does look a lot like Vista, but i can't exactly remember what was discussed but i believe it was along the lines of this is what Vista was meant to be like.

I've never had a problem with the current task bar. In fact, the new features that they do put in are more annoying than anything (such as grouping together explorer windows, etc). I get on fine with adding folders to the task bar in order to search though a frequent folder (much like the stacks on Macs).

The shut down button can just be changed in vista.

Loading fast is obviously a huge plus. What's the libraries idea?

The calculator features are... okay, but... that surely could just be ran in any Windows OS.

The UAC being streamlined is good... but it will still remained switched off for me.

Of course using less resources is a plus... especially when running more than one demanding app (I often have to run a couple of Adobe programs and a few 3D related ones).

The Show Desktop Thing? Isn't that... just, there already? Next to my start icon? Surely it being to the left or right doesn't make a difference?

Burning ISOs to disk is pretty neat. Although I have always had to install a program like PowerISO on windows to be able to quickly mount them; in turn which lets me burn them anyway.

I don't want to seem like an ass that is trying to shoot shit down for fun. I will end up getting this just for the fact that programs and hardware will be taking advantage of it. It using less resources and loading up faster is also a huge advantage. But none of my gripes with Windows seem to be solved within this new update. A lot of the new stuff just seems like more stuff to switch off once I install. I will no doubt get this when I give my system a upgrade (I'm thinking of getting a new mobo, i7, more RAM and a SSD).

I've never had a problem with the current task bar. In fact, the new features that they do put in are more annoying than anything (such as grouping together explorer windows, etc). I get on fine with adding folders to the task bar in order to search though a frequent folder (much like the stacks on Macs).

The new Taskbar is by far the greatest improvement I've seen in Windows 7. I've always loved Exposé, its something that helps productivity and whilst not copying Exposé Microsoft have done a damn good job at making it their own. I used to get annoyed when I had a large number of programs / windows open that my taskbar would get full, the new taskbar solves that problem and works beautifully with the peek feature.

The Show Desktop Thing? Isn't that... just, there already? Next to my start icon? Surely it being to the left or right doesn't make a difference?

Yep but again this has been integrated with the peek feature meaning sexyness.

Microsoft have somehow created a buzz on the Internet about this OS that means people are willing to part with money early. Mental.

If your going to buy Windows 7 anyway why not pre-order it and save £45? Surely it's not that mental?