Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys whats FMJ?

Full%20Metal%20Jacket%20e.jpg

It's the Deep Impact Perk. (bullets are supposed to go through some walls).

coolio. not that great then lol.

It's actually hella useful. If you have a guy duck out of view mid fight from a window, there's a good chance you can keep firing and get him through the wall. Handy.

£20 says that it has nothing to do with consoles. Paid DLC on PC says 'hi!'

oh and also: Anyone else unlocked the FAL?

It's luuuuvvveerrly.

Edited by Dan_Dare
Automerged Doublepost

Is there no kind of matchmaking in the online multiplayer

I'm about to enter a game where I am the lowest ranked person by 15! Played against a team where the lowest rank was 37. They all seem to have crazy shit perks....

It's a bit of a shitter. I only got the game 4 days late and all the problems I thought would arise if I bought COD4 a few months late are already arising, its mental.

ALSO

Am sick of people of PSN with shitty headsets, it doesn't pick up their voices properly but you can hear grannie pissing next door.

It's not that big a deal. IW are canny enough to give you one of the best guns off the bat (FAMAS) and the upgrades for that are minutes play away if you have any competence at the game.

Perks are more of an issue, but again; you already have access to some of the best straight away. All the upgrades are basically variants on the core gameplay style you don't have to work for, so you're not massively disadvantaged.

Hmm. Maybe I should get this before Crimbo then.

Yeah maybe. Thats not to say I'm not enjoying the multiplayer just it does have this barrier of entry. There must be other players ranked below level 10 so why can't I play with them? (forgive me if I've missed the said option but I can't find it anywhere)

My funniest moment online so far has been there were two foreign guys chatting away for the whole match they literally never shut up, chuntering away non stop. During the match, I kept saying "fuck off this isn't skype" "shut you twat" (proper mature me!) and then after about 5 mins of the match a geordie bloke just said "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU NUMPTIES" was funny and you heard other people laughing and then we can had some banter (not talking as much or as quick as the crazy fuckers.

It's not that big a deal. IW are canny enough to give you one of the best guns off the bat (FAMAS) and the upgrades for that are minutes play away if you have any competence at the game.

Perks are more of an issue, but again; you already have access to some of the best straight away. All the upgrades are basically variants on the core gameplay style you don't have to work for, so you're not massively disadvantaged.

I think your not looking at the big picture...I constantly get shot through walls by people sniping from parts of the map I didn't even know existed. Now if the game gave the option to get bundled with other lower level players you could have a much more progressive experience where you can all learn together.As you then slowly progress through the levels and then the new game modes slowly open up to as the perks etc... do as well. So your playing say at level 10 and its the first time playlist X comes up you'll be playing with players who are also yet to encounter those modes on those levels. Instead I get dumped into different maps every time and don't learn them very well before being sent to another map. I'm not saying it should be the only way to play just an option to matchmake to make things that bit easier for the new player.

I'm looking at this as a new player whose getting used to the way it plays as an online experience who is trying to cut it with level 45+ who clearly have years of COD4 experience as well as a lot more time than me to play the current game. Why can't I play with like minded players who want a more gentle experience as they learn the game. Matchmaking is a simple feature and one that can greatly improve the experience. I'm going to stick with it but I will likely slowly level up and then the point will become null and void. I just think holding the gamers hand sometimes isn't such a bad thing in terms of initial accessibility to a very bewildering genre.

Bloody hell! People talking in another language? The fucking cheek!

I didn't mean that but they were just chattering away non-stop....I've had to mute a few times with americans non stop talking...and why is there always one person who sounds like he is playing in a room with his whole family talking.

Edited by flameboy

Just finished! Was awesome, though I think the quality of the levels and such trailed off towards the latter half of the game. I also think the last level could have been a little more epic. Almost an anti climax that the final bits of the game were pretty much reduced to an easy QTE type sequence. Playing through again on Veteran now though.

REALLY want to be playing this online but the net connection here is farrr too slow to get on live :(

I also agree with flameboy, non-stop talking winds me up in games too, especially when you can't make anything out and it bears no relevance to the game. And yeah there is ALWAYS someone who's left their mic on and is just chatting generally with their mates/family around them. Very irritating!

Just finished! Was awesome, though I think the quality of the levels and such trailed off towards the latter half of the game. I also think the last level could have been a little more epic. Almost an anti climax that the final bits of the game were pretty much reduced to an easy QTE type sequence. Playing through again on Veteran now though.

REALLY want to be playing this online but the net connection here is farrr too slow to get on live :(

I also agree with flameboy, non-stop talking winds me up in games too, especially when you can't make anything out and it bears no relevance to the game. And yeah there is ALWAYS someone who's left their mic on and is just chatting generally with their mates/family around them. Very irritating!

Thats one of my pet hates in games. Games that at the last hurdle introduce something totally unrelated to the rest of the game in terms of game mechanics, there isn't a single other QTE in the game expect for that part.

Edited by flameboy

I think your not looking at the big picture...I constantly get shot through walls by people sniping from parts of the map I didn't even know existed. Now if the game gave the option to get bundled with other lower level players you could have a much more progressive experience where you can all learn together.As you then slowly progress through the levels and then the new game modes slowly open up to as the perks etc... do as well. So your playing say at level 10 and its the first time playlist X comes up you'll be playing with players who are also yet to encounter those modes on those levels. Instead I get dumped into different maps every time and don't learn them very well before being sent to another map. I'm not saying it should be the only way to play just an option to matchmake to make things that bit easier for the new player.

I'm looking at this as a new player whose getting used to the way it plays as an online experience who is trying to cut it with level 45+ who clearly have years of COD4 experience as well as a lot more time than me to play the current game. Why can't I play with like minded players who want a more gentle experience as they learn the game. Matchmaking is a simple feature and one that can greatly improve the experience. I'm going to stick with it but I will likely slowly level up and then the point will become null and void. I just think holding the gamers hand sometimes isn't such a bad thing in terms of initial accessibility to a very bewildering genre.

Well said mate.

For me, personally, I'm not too bothered but for others, it can definately ease you into the game.

Why can't I play with like minded players who want a more gentle experience as they learn the game. Matchmaking is a simple feature and one that can greatly improve the experience. I'm going to stick with it but I will likely slowly level up and then the point will become null and void. I just think holding the gamers hand sometimes isn't such a bad thing in terms of initial accessibility to a very bewildering genre.

If my memory is serving me correctly i remember Treyarch had a option in WaW for their deathmatches to only play with people up to a certain level before being forced out with the rest.

IW obvious didn't like the idea of that.

Is there no kind of matchmaking in the online multiplayer

I'm about to enter a game where I am the lowest ranked person by 15! Played against a team where the lowest rank was 37. They all seem to have crazy shit perks....

It's a bit of a shitter. I only got the game 4 days late and all the problems I thought would arise if I bought COD4 a few months late are already arising, its mental.

Yeah I'm all with you on that one. It basically means people who play the game more start off with advantages. I thought it was poor that the original MW didn't have a matchmaking option and MW2 not having it is awful. There's no reason that there isn't an option to play with people your own level.

My mate's getting the game soon and is inexperienced with FPS and has never played one online before. How are people like this meant to cope? I can see him playing it for a while; losing and not killing anyone repeatedly then getting bored and turning it off.

Muting in game can have costly effects.

Come one, people very rarely say anything worthwhile in games. A few times I've been in objective based games and people occasionally say things but not often enough to not warrant muting someone because of it.

I think that's what the ACS module was all about - you and Soap retrieve it from the Russians, and then later during the invasion cutscene the controller talks about scanning for a possible fault in their ACS module. While bogeys appear to be on radar in the west, the Russians actually invade from the East. Obviously the Ruskies hacked it and used it to bypass and confuse the US defences.

Surely the americans would still notice all the planes in the sky and how in gods name was the russian army supplied

Well said mate.

For me, personally, I'm not too bothered but for others, it can definately ease you into the game.

If my memory is serving me correctly i remember Treyarch had a option in WaW for their deathmatches to only play with people up to a certain level before being forced out with the rest.

IW obvious didn't like the idea of that.

Yeah I'm all with you on that one. It basically means people who play the game more start off with advantages. I thought it was poor that the original MW didn't have a matchmaking option and MW2 not having it is awful. There's no reason that there isn't an option to play with people your own level.

My mate's getting the game soon and is inexperienced with FPS and has never played one online before. How are people like this meant to cope? I can see him playing it for a while; losing and not killing anyone repeatedly then getting bored and turning it off.

I have to be honest it just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't offer something like this and judging by your responses I'm not alone in thinking. There are millions of new PS3 and 360 owners this year let alone the 2 years since COD4 came out. With all these potential new customers having never picked up a MW game before so they should be catered for and frankly there is no reason why both these new gamers and the hardcore can't be looked after.

I'm gonna take it even further to suggest you should be able to match back by kill ratio or win ratio etc...not just by level. Say the day comes where I hit level 50. There is no doubt I will not be as good as the people with a 1.00+ kill to death ratio and who are already up in the higher levels. This would mean even if you spend hours and hours on the game but never truly get any better you would still be able to play with players of similar levels of skill to you.

I've played 4 and a half hours of multiplayer now and that safe from a quick game last has all been today. That's the most I am ever likely to fit in a single day bar a particularly slow day off.

Let's get a petition going because it was so successful in bringing dedicated servers.....oh wait...

You'll get there. If your current setup doesnt work then try something different. E.g use red dots, maybe FMG etc.

All fps games are like this. you start off as canon fodder.

My current set up seems to be doing alright using red dot to help with aiming and my accuracy is my biggest downfall...

My point still remains though, why does it have be accepted that canon fodder as you put it has to be the way of life at the beginning. It's just non-sensical to at the very least have player level matchmaking. Its a lazy decision to not include such features especially if World at War had them. I just don't see why it should be commonly accepted that this is the way, a way which after just 5 days makes the multiplayer barrier to entry level higher and all the more intimidating for the newcomer. The suggestions I've made wouldn't affect the hardcore players but would greatly improve the experience for those people who'd like to be able to just dip in and out without the level of commitment.

Another bizzare thing I've noticed in my stats page under single player it says I've played close to five hours multiplayer whereas if I go on the Leaderboard and scored it says I've played just 3 hrs 11 mins..

Anyhow I'm at Level 12 my kills stand 144 with 302 deaths so thats a ratio of 0.48...thats not too bad is it? My highest streak is a 6.

nah mate dont be so put off with it, like people have said you really get the best stuff at the start anyways, use the kill cams as much as you can, learn where people are hiding/camping, look at what they are using perks etc, anything like this can give you an advantage. also, my best bet for your class/rank would be stopping power with steady aim and add a little of slight of hand. beasting.

also some things you might know already, but an SMG has dog arse range, so dont alert your postion by shooting off when you know you got a pretty crappy chance of killing them. Get you jog on and kill em closer. another one I would suggest as you think your getting closer to the enemy team, just as your checking round corners, going in looking down the sight of the gun as this can give you a distinct advantage.

Also @Dan Dare, FAL rocks, with a heart beat sensor especially!!

I agree with ur what ur saying flameboy, it's easy for someone like me to forget since i put like 48 hours in CoD4 online over both consoles and like another 12 or so on WaW and i can just get right into it kinda thing and even then i'm still dieing alot from campers and the like. (And that is not even including the amount of hours ive put into other FPS's like Killzone 2)

I can't imagine what it must be like for a new player to these kind of online games!

In other news, 1000/1000 points is mine!!!

Yeah SC the gun is a beaut! I went on an absolutely apocalyptic spree earlier with it- I was just casually headshotting guys with it easy as anything. It's probably the most ammo efficient gun in the game by my reckoning too which is really useful.

I'm also deep in to a love affair with the Spas-12.

few tips if anyone's struggling:

the best basic set up is marathon, Stopping Power and Steady Aim

use an assault rifle like the FAMAS at range. Get some scopes unlocked and practice long range shooting

Take the Spas-12. Always. Up close and with Steady Aim you can just fire off the hip on reflex and kill anyone up to a room away easily.

Marathon is crazy useful. The best tactic in the game is too move at speed and flank the enemy. Marathon does that for you.

also: play stealthy. The UAV radar operates on sound so as long as you don't fire your guns before you have a kill shot, your enemy won't be able to track you. Once you make the kill, move. Often, lazy players come to look for you where they saw you stand on the kill cam so the best place to move to is somewhere you can cover that same spot.

oh and when possible, kill silently. Knives and and silenced weapons are your friend. If the enemy team sees an orange dot line up with a skull marker, they'll come looking for a fight. Kill quietly and they have no idea where to look.

oh and learn to love stun grenades. They're savagely effective, especially combined with the shotgun.