N-Europe

Alternatives to Google?

Pancake

I don't want to support Google anymore, can anyone recommend a non-crap, non Google-powered search engine? Not Yahoo, their image search is really awful. I'm currently using ask.com, but it comes up short sometimes.

Why wouldn't you... support Google? It's just a website, it's not like using it's going to fund terrorism or anything.

I doubt YouTube would be much difference if Goggle didn't buy YouTube. The site still would have gone mainstream and would suffer from the same problems.

If anything, YouTube would have been bled dry and left for dead if it didn't have Google's money.

I doubt YouTube would be much difference if Goggle didn't buy YouTube. The site still would have gone mainstream and would suffer from the same problems.

If anything, YouTube would have been bled dry and left for dead if it didn't have Google's money.

That doesn't mean i have to support it. I'd wouldn't want to support ANY company practising censorship like they are. I'm sure it could have been a number of other random companies yeah, but so what. I'd feel the same whichever company it was. Censorship isn't inevitable, certain elements make it happen.

Use google, surely by using google alone you're using their bandwidth and processor time, costing them money directly. Just never click their ads!

I used to use altavista many years ago, the most convenient fact being you can just use av.com to get to it, an impressive shortcut

That doesn't mean i have to support it. I'd wouldn't want to support ANY company practising censorship like they are. I'm sure it could have been a number of other random companies yeah, but so what. I'd feel the same whichever company it was. Censorship isn't inevitable, certain elements make it happen.

You're making them out to be communist china. You might as well not watch TV because the censor language there too. :)

I stumbled upon a search engine once that was a bit different, it gave you previews of all the pages you searched for including highlights of where your search term showed up. I can't remember the name of it though >.< it had a black background.

Hilarious!

Nah, i don't really have a prob with Yahoo, it's just that when i last used their image search it seemed to come up with soley flicker results (or however they spell it) on the first few pages at least, so i assumed they'd gone into partnership with them or something, which seemed a bit crap as far as image search goes. I prefer more random results.

I don't doubt that. I'm just choosing to avoid them in one very direct way i can control.

Yahoo own Flickr.