N-Europe

Tickets Touts

thirtynine.

Another way to solve the whole but-what-if-I-can't-go,-I-should-be-able-to-try-and-get-my-money-back thing; if you buy online you shouldn't be charged until the day of the event, or maybe you actually pay for it once you are inside the venue. That way if you don't go, you don't lose out.

That would be a loss of a sale for te vendors, though.

Its not really fair that they have to waste a ticket beause of your bad planning.

Another way to solve the whole but-what-if-I-can't-go,-I-should-be-able-to-try-and-get-my-money-back thing; if you buy online you shouldn't be charged until the day of the event, or maybe you actually pay for it once you are inside the venue. That way if you don't go, you don't lose out.

So there could be an unlimited number to buy/basically reserve online? That's shitty on account it'd create a massive backlog, someone books the day off work [and more things scheduled, hotel etc.] to get there ready to pay and find it's too full, because enough online reservers got there first?

No no, same amount of tickets available but you just dont pay till you get into the venue. Touts wont buy any cos they don't want to go into the venue.

If you cant make it you could inform the venue and then "returns" will be able to buy on the door. No one loses out and the touts fail.

Thats illegal though, its also a completly different circumstance.

Um, you said you had no problem with people making profit, when clearly there are several ways of making profit that aren't acceptable. Touts should be banned too and all eBay sales removed (except those selling tickets at retail price). The Arctic Monkeys procedure sounds great - they should adopt that for all gigs.

Um, you said you had no problem with people making profit, when clearly there are several ways of making profit that aren't acceptable. Touts should be banned too and all eBay sales removed (except those selling tickets at retail price).

Theres a difference between illegal methods, and legal ones.

I see nothing wrong with tickets being sold on, as they arent stolen, to make a profit.

Its how business works, buy low, make maximum profit.

The touts only work because people are willing to pay the prices they charge.

But touts are taking advantage of our emotions! When it comes to your favourite artists, desperation takes over! You need to see these artists, no matter what.

Of course there's a difference between illegal and legal. The Law. Buying low and making as much profit as possible is usually done through bulk buying at discounted prices; cutting overheads, increasing a product's status and NOT by acquiring all or most of the resource and bottle-necking access to it, charging whatever price they like because they know people want it.

If shops did this with your food, you would starve. If the utility companies did it with our fuel and water, we would freeze. The difference here is that gigs are a veblen good, but it is still a rodenty, low-life occupation that closely resembles racketeering, which is against the law.

There is something wrong with selling them on to make a higher profit. It is, simply, that they are reducing the freedom of others - the freedom to buy a ticket to a gig at retail price. Morally, it is wrong.

It's like... you've been saving up your pennies to buy this puppy. Some old pensioner's seen you fawning at the shop window every day for a month at this puppy. One day they see you walking down the road looking all happy, armed with bags of coppers - they don't see the potential happiness about to occur - oh no! They see an economical opportunity to make some easy money. They pop into the shop, buy the pup, and upon seeing your sad face they say "I'll sell you this pup for twice what you were gonna pay."

Et cetera, et cetera. It's just not nice, not necessary, and causes annoyance and hatred.

But touts are taking advantage of our emotions! When it comes to your favourite artists, desperation takes over! You need to see these artists, no matter what.

Of course there's a difference between illegal and legal. The Law. Buying low and making as much profit as possible is usually done through bulk buying at discounted prices; cutting overheads, increasing a product's status and NOT by acquiring all or most of the resource and bottle-necking access to it, charging whatever price they like because they know people want it.

If shops did this with your food, you would starve. If the utility companies did it with our fuel and water, we would freeze. The difference here is that gigs are a veblen good, but it is still a rodenty, low-life occupation that closely resembles racketeering, which is against the law.

There is something wrong with selling them on to make a higher profit. It is, simply, that they are reducing the freedom of others - the freedom to buy a ticket to a gig at retail price. Morally, it is wrong.

It's like... you've been saving up your pennies to buy this puppy. Some old pensioner's seen you fawning at the shop window every day for a month at this puppy. One day they see you walking down the road looking all happy, armed with bags of coppers - they don't see the potential happiness about to occur - oh no! They see an economical opportunity to make some easy money. They pop into the shop, buy the pup, and upon seeing your sad face they say "I'll sell you this pup for twice what you were gonna pay."

Et cetera, et cetera. It's just not nice, not necessary, and causes annoyance and hatred.

You cant really use the shops, or fuel companies as examples, we NEED those things to survive.

You dont NEED to see the artists play, you want to.

Im not saying its morally right, im just saying i wouldn hesitate to do it if i got the chance.

Hey mister, I commented on teh distinction between need and want.

I was going to use a puppy as an example, or a cornetto or something. Yes, it is a choice to see a gig, but can you not see how it is unfair when the only choice you have is to pay double the price, when the tout could choose to pay the regular price? How is that equal, how is that fair? It is not.

With businesses there is a win/win situation between a customer and a supplier. You are willing to pay an inflated price on a good because you are unable to attain the good directly, without the middleman.

Bah! No point. Thankfully we operate in a society where we don't accept anyone and everyone. If you choose knowingly to do something you know isn't liked, then that's your choice. I choose to not respect you for it.

Theres a difference between illegal methods

The only difference in this case regarding legal and illegal methods is that it hasn't been outlawed yet. :p

Im not saying its morally right, im just saying i wouldn hesitate to do it if i got the chance.

This is the mentality that needs to be eradicated. People are so damn greedy and selfish; it's unreal.

Hey mister, I commented on teh distinction between need and want.

I was going to use a puppy as an example, or a cornetto or something. Yes, it is a choice to see a gig, but can you not see how it is unfair when the only choice you have is to pay double the price, when the tout could choose to pay the regular price? How is that equal, how is that fair? It is not.

With businesses there is a win/win situation between a customer and a supplier. You are willing to pay an inflated price on a good because you are unable to attain the good directly, without the middleman.

Bah! No point. Thankfully we operate in a society where we don't accept anyone and everyone. If you choose knowingly to do something you know isn't liked, then that's your choice. I choose to not respect you for it.

I do have a point, but i cant get it across without sounding arrogant, so ill let you guys win.

One question, though.

Would you do it if you had the oppertunity?

Your point is that on an economical level, it is entirely acceptable; you suggest that the tickets may as well be auctioned off in the first place, allowing the supply/demand to truly set the price of the good in the first place.

I'm saying that society has such a skewed income distribution, leading with this method would ultimately mean only those rich enough will be able to afford gigs.

Your other point is that money is good. More money = better. I want more money, ergo: this shit is cool. My argument is that you wouldn't feel the same if you knew the person you were selling to. Would you buy a ticket for a gig you don't want to go to, then sell it at double the price to your best friend? Your girlfriend? Your mother?

There's a point where you gotta stop looking at how the gig or the ticket is valued, but at how you value money. Fuck the money, I say. There's always more of it.

Your point is that on an economical level, it is entirely acceptable; you suggest that the tickets may as well be auctioned off in the first place, allowing the supply/demand to truly set the price of the good in the first place.

I'm saying that society has such a skewed income distribution, leading with this method would ultimately mean only those rich enough will be able to afford gigs.

Your other point is that money is good. More money = better. I want more money, ergo: this shit is cool. My argument is that you wouldn't feel the same if you knew the person you were selling to. Would you buy a ticket for a gig you don't want to go to, then sell it at double the price to your best friend? Your girlfriend? Your mother?

There's a point where you gotta stop looking at how the gig or the ticket is valued, but at how you value money. Fuck the money, I say. There's always more of it.

Yea, i wouldnt do it to frieands or family.

No no, same amount of tickets available but you just dont pay till you get into the venue. Touts wont buy any cos they don't want to go into the venue.

If you cant make it you could inform the venue and then "returns" will be able to buy on the door. No one loses out and the touts fail.

May stop the touts but might lose the artists money, if there aren't many sad enough people hanging round the arena/stadium/etc.

Going back to the original point:

Hi,

Today i woke up at 8:30 so i could buy tickets to see the yeah yeah yeah's, which were released at 9:00. I like them alot. I actually buy their music. By like 9:05 they were all sold out, and sever fail ment i didnt get one. Now i look on ebay and see THIS

Seriously? 50 quid. They were only like 18. This bellend bought tickets. Which i could have had, specificity to put them on ebay straight away, hes not even doing it right and waiting till closer to the even so the price rises. Not only is he a scumbag but hes also a n00b.

FAIL. Touts are fail.

Pretty much the reason why I hardly go to gigs. I find it difficult to get tickets, mainly because many sell out so quickly. Then, I get annoyed when I see people inflating the prices on ebay. It's greed, really. But, the only way to get these people where it hurts is to not buy these tickets. If they can put these tickets on sites, charge and obscene amount, and then see them sell for that amount, then of course they're just going to do it again and again. Actually, can ebay do anything about this? Maybe stopping people selling tickets for four times the asking price, that'd be a nice start.

I dunno, I never use Ebay.

Two tickets should be the limit. I would say one, but then you could never buy gig tickets as a suprise for someone. Two seems right. There's no need for any more. If more people are joing your party then they should get their own ticket and stop being so god damn lazy. ID's would never work for anything other than major festivals. Too much hassle.

I dont like touts, but at the same time, they are clever people. They take a risk too. They buy a bunch of tickets and might not be able to sell them, so they make a loss. Of course, if people buy them, thehn they're laughing. The only other way to stop them is to encourage people not to buy them at the inflated prices. But they will. Because they want to see whoever it is so damn bad. C'est la vie i guess.

I dont mind touts on the street though. If they are selling legit tickets, it can be a good way to get in last minute, even if it does cost you a bomb. At the end of the day, artists you want to see dont usually tour that often. You get one chance in a year, sometimes more, to see them. So you pay up.

Two tickets should be the limit. I would say one, but then you could never buy gig tickets as a suprise for someone. Two seems right. There's no need for any more. If more people are joing your party then they should get their own ticket and stop being so god damn lazy. ID's would never work for anything other than major festivals. Too much hassle.

I dont like touts, but at the same time, they are clever people. They take a risk too. They buy a bunch of tickets and might not be able to sell them, so they make a loss. Of course, if people buy them, thehn they're laughing. The only other way to stop them is to encourage people not to buy them at the inflated prices. But they will. Because they want to see whoever it is so damn bad. C'est la vie i guess.

I dont mind touts on the street though. If they are selling legit tickets, it can be a good way to get in last minute, even if it does cost you a bomb. At the end of the day, artists you want to see dont usually tour that often. You get one chance in a year, sometimes more, to see them. So you pay up.

Theres not really 100% mothods of keeping everyone happy, limits make real groups of friends lose out, IDs prevent suprises, and paying once you get there gives a problem they may not be sold.