N-Europe

Colleges Told To Deter Extremism

Iun

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7895601.stm

Now, how on Earth are they going to do this? My experience of meeting college teachers is that they really don't give a flying fcuk. They punch in at 9 roll out at 5 everyday, mostly because students are either perceived as, or actually are lazy drop-outs unable to cope with the pressures of school life.

What are they going to do, adjust their entrance exam questionnaire?

"Question 6: How would you describe your level of tolerance towards people of differing beliefs, cultures and races?

1: I consider myself tolerant.

2: I consider myself reasonably tolerant.

3: I'm a spelling and grammar Nazi.

4: I fire bomb butcher's shops for fun. Meat is murder.

5: I can't stand n****rs, sand n****rs, chinks, japs or the yids.

6: Blow them to shit and let Allah decide. "

And even these people can identify someone with extremist tendancies, what can they do? If they compile a list of notes on them without their permission on a non-academic track, they'll be dragged through the court of Human Rights for a violation of privacy.

Your thoughts?

Wow. I've not seen any examples of extremism in my time at school. The link also says similar guidelines have been sent to uni's and secondary/primary schools (lol wtf 9 yr old taliban! etc) so I don't know why they focused on the college aspect.

I suppose they're covering their backs, but... well it's just mental.

Recently in my course, we had to write an essay on terrorism, and now with new international lawes being put in place, if you don't present a negative view on terrorism in the essay (we were actually warned about this) you will be kicked out of uni. As to what is deemed positive or not is up to the lecturer

Recently in my course, we had to write an essay on terrorism, and now with new international lawes being put in place, if you don't present a negative view on terrorism in the essay (we were actually warned about this) you will be kicked out of uni. As to what is deemed positive or not is up to the lecturer

Haha, does your Uni really think someone is stupid enough to right an essay saying "I think terrorists are a big huggy bunch!"

Alternatively, use the phrase "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."

That's absurd. I have a feeling my university will actively ignore this law.

This will only lead to things getting worse, the more you put pressure on people, the more they squirm and rebel under that pressure. Fuck this shit. Religion is inherently more powerful and dangerous than the state, and any "extremists" are not going to be swayed by some of their fellow students going "shit man, shouldn't go round blowing up buildings and such". It's not peer pressure but rather religious pressure that causes these issues, and yes, people love to tiptoe around religion, but I don't give a shit, it's all a force for bad and can only serve to divide people.

It's very "PC" and new labour to try and point fingers at the end result of something and pretend that it's the cause, because after all, it's easy to get everyone to agree that suicide bombers are bad. No fuckwads, religion is the cause, extremism is the result.

This will only lead to things getting worse, the more you put pressure on people, the more they squirm and rebel under that pressure. Fuck this shit. Religion is inherently more powerful and dangerous than the state, and any "extremists" are not going to be swayed by some of their fellow students going "shit man, shouldn't go round blowing up buildings and such". It's not peer pressure but rather religious pressure that causes these issues, and yes, people love to tiptoe around religion, but I don't give a shit, it's all a force for bad and can only serve to divide people.

It's very "PC" and new labour to try and point fingers at the end result of something and pretend that it's the cause, because after all, it's easy to get everyone to agree that suicide bombers are bad. No fuckwads, religion is the cause, extremism is the result.

Amen, death to Islam and let's kill all those dirty Muslims!

[sarcasm/]

I'm not even going to debate this post with you... that's your beliefs, and at the end, they'll still be your beliefs, so why bother?

Wow, that's pretty much not what he said!

He's saying that a majority of today's terrorists are recruited through religion, which is true.

As for extremism itself, another major cause is simple stupidity - look at Neo-Nazis.

I think this is just such a crazy situation, and I don't think it would have happened 50 years ago. Yes, people feel strongly about certain subjects -religious freedom, immigration etc. But this is all intrinsically linked to a lack of education and schools lacking the power to deal with these things in the first place.

If the schools report a case of suspected extremism, what happens then? There's an investigation, the parents hide behind privacy laws and claim persecution of their religious or cultural beliefs. The poor bastard who brought it up loses his/her job and never works in a school again. The nutters responsible claim a victory and continue to use schools to recruit knowing full well that they have the law to protect them.

What would be good is a return to the old "School House" system of the old days where everyone was pushed into working together and told to shut up and get on with it. That way any serious wrong doing would be rooted out by the pupils themselves, and enforces a life-long spirit of community and unity.

Of course, this would never happen as most parents would cry foul.

[sarcasm/]

I'm not even going to debate this post with you... that's your beliefs, and at the end, they'll still be your beliefs, so why bother?

Wow, because I really said that, seriously.

All I'm saying is that impressionable minds are recruited under the guise of religion, religion and faith in general is an illogical conclusion by which you believe you are somehow, improvably inherently better than people who do not follow your faith, and it's the religious mindset that can foster this discrimination.

I never said oh kill all those dirty Muslims or anything like that, but what am I saying is that it's centres of religion such as mosques (ugh, not that I want to pick an example but hey) where impressionable young minds do get shaped into believing the more extreme things, probably not college.

Putting some independent authorities inside these religious institutions to, say, watch over some of the events would be something I suggest, but the problem, as I said initially, is that somehow religion is deemed untouchable, and we can't criticise it for fear of looking intolerant, so we stick big stickers on them and give them gold stars for promoting inter-faith relations or whatever rot, and leave them alone, while small sects inside these institutions foster hatred, and religion, whether you like it or not, does play a part in this, because it makes you less questioning, but no, please, throw some wild accusations at me, because I'm an utterly unintelligent, intolerant racist, right?

Wow, that's pretty much not what he said!

He's saying that a majority of today's terrorists are recruited through religion, which is true.

As for extremism itself, another major cause is simple stupidity - look at Neo-Nazis.

Huh? No thats just untrue you cant say religion is a tool of recruitment and then ignore the reasons people become neo nazis. Ultra nationalism, racism, historical rivalries, hell enjoying violence, righting wrongs of the past and present.

Religion is the main part of identity when it comes to modern Islamic based terrorism but its much more complicated than Religion is the sole reason.