N-Europe

Cycling. Anything I should know?

Choze

Some people are telling me that its illegal cycle on footpaths. My plan was to ride to the parks nearby via inroads using footpaths since they are so quiet.

Then speed up when i am at the parks for excercise.

Was also wondering what cycle brands to look out for? Top cycle manufacturers?

Hopefully there are knowledgable people. Or is this hopeless?

a useful site for you :) Basically; it is illegal, but generally society will turn a blind eye, so long as you aren't rassling and hassling pedestrians.

"The object of Section 72 Highways Act 1835 was intended not to protect all footpaths, but only footpaths or causeways by the side of a road, and that this is still the case has been ruled in the high court."

So basically if there is a road, then use it. If not, then it should be ok. But generally, if you're acting responsibly then you'll be fine :)

I would say spend most of your time looking for a good seat. I had a racing saddle for years, and no suspension. :(

Helmets arn't essential. Neither are they required by law to be worn. Sure, wear a helmet if you're mountain biking or something, but just riding to and from work... there's no need.

Most bikes up to around £100 will be good enough for daily riding. Enough gears, good suspension, nice seat etc. Its the wheels that piss me off. I think Mr. Odwin said something about gel-filled ones. They last years without popping or deflating unlike air-filled ones. I havn't seen any myself but its worth asking about. I'm sick of having a flat tyre.

But if you're riding on the road, then you will be with other cars. Most of which will be driven by complete and utter, inconsiderate twats who will endanger your life just to get home 5 seconds earlier. So yeah, if you're gonna go headfirst into a car bonnet or the floor, I'd say a helmet is a good idea.

I'm with Moogle on all points.

Get front suspension, but don't worry about back suspension.

Wear a helmet even though you look like a spoon.

Spend a little more on a bike, it's a false economy to get a £70 bike from Halfords - in two weeks the brakes will stop working, in two months the wheels will have bent crazy, in three the gear shifters will fall apart. (Speaking from experience.)

Self-healing inner tubes! They are the best thing ever. I get a couple of punctures a week and these are total lifesavers.

Get ready to have a sore ass for the first few days.

Try a local smaller bike shop and get their opinion on a good bike - if you buy from them it may be a little more expensive but they'll be around to tweak it when bits start to not work quite right.

Spend a little more on a bike, it's a false economy to get a £70 bike from Halfords - in two weeks the brakes will stop working, in two months the wheels will have bent crazy, in three the gear shifters will fall apart. (Speaking from experience.)

Personally I never change my gears, especially the three big ones. I can always tell when my brother borrows it as it's put into the weakest bastard mode ever.

As for the bells. The ones that come with bikes now are terrible.

Some people are telling me that its illegal cycle on footpaths. My plan was to ride to the parks nearby via inroads using footpaths since they are so quiet.

Then speed up when i am at the parks for excercise.

Was also wondering what cycle brands to look out for? Top cycle manufacturers?

Hopefully there are knowledgable people. Or is this hopeless?

I've been riding bmx for nearly 5 year, I build my own bikes so I should be able to answer any of your questions.

About footpaths yeah it's illegal, not for bmx's though as they have 20" wheels so they are classed as a childs bike. Something I have proved a few policement wrong with over the years. ;)

Brands? If you want a good bike stay away from most things in Halfords, go for a Kona or a Specialized.

Jav: I would say it's way more dangerous riding a bike in towns. I had a teacher who die on the way to work riding a bike, who would probably still be alive if he wore a helmet.

I've been riding bmx for nearly 5 year, I build my own bikes so I should be able to answer any of your questions.

About footpaths yeah it's illegal, not for bmx's though as they have 20" wheels so they are classed as a childs bike. Something I have proved a few policement wrong with over the years. ;)

Interesting! When I was looking it up on the 'net yesterday it never said anything about wheelsize, but the rider's age was all that mattered.

Jav: I would say it's way more dangerous riding a bike in towns. I had a teacher who die on the way to work riding a bike, who would probably still be alive if he wore a helmet.

I guess it depends on the area. The roads around my house are always quiet and i only go down one main road into town that's dead straight, so its fairly safe. Only danger areas are two roundabouts, but i can always get on the path and use the pedestrian crossings on the exits if i want to.

I guess its different in major cities, but Bournemouth certainly isn't one of them!

Wearing a helmet is silly. It ruins your hair and makes you look like an idiot. You're cycling to work, not competing in France. If you wear a helmet you may as well go for the full-on lycra and be done with it!

Again from experience, I was just riding up and down my road. No cars, no people. No nothing apart from a front brake that decided to spazz out. Thus me going head over heels and ruining my face for life. Was told if I wore a helmet I would have saved my teeth if anything.

Yeah, one of my teeth was underneath my tongue when I got to A&E, the other was hanging by a small thread from my gum. Some more teeth were bent back about 45 degress. Face scarred, stitches, everything. Because of a single brake.

Been scared to ride a bike since.