Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Chess kills, by warandchaos

Kirkatronics

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7858218.stm

Proof that anything can tip someone over, not just video games.

Boy's hanging followed chess row

_45424985_olivercavill_226.jpg Oliver Edwards-Cavill had no history of illness or depression

A 15-year-old schoolboy hanged himself "in temper" after a family row over a game of chess, an inquest has heard.

Oliver Edwards-Cavill was found by his mother in a caravan he lived in on his family's smallholding near Tenby.

He had no history of depression and his parents said he was usually a happy, caring boy with a good sense of humour.

Pembrokeshire coroner Michael Howells found Oliver died from self-inflicted asphyxiation and said it was "a dreadful thing for his family".

The hearing in Milford Haven was told Oliver returned home from Tenby's Green Hill Comprehensive School on 4 November as usual.

Coroner's officer Jeremy Davies said: "He appeared to be his usual happy self."

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gifThe general feeling from the family was that Oliver hung himself in a fit of temper end_quote_rb.gif

Jeremy Davies, coroner's officer

Oliver fed his animals and helped around the smallholding, which consisted of three caravans, the inquest heard.

Mr Davies said the family ate together, watched television but later there was "an argument over a chess game".

Oliver went to his caravan adjacent to his parents' home.

When his mother went to wish him goodnight she found him in a sitting position, hanging by a belt that had been tied to the bathroom door.

Note found

The hearing was told attempts were made by the family, police and paramedics to resuscitate him but without success.

A note was found indicating he intended to take his own life.

"The general feeling from the family was that Oliver hung himself in a fit of temper," said Mr Davies.

Oliver had no history of illness or depression.

Mr Davies said Oliver's parents described him as "a happy boy with a good sense of humour and a caring nature".

Recording his narrative verdict, Mr Howells said: "It's a dreadful thing for the family, I'm deeply sorry for them."

At the time of his death, his head teacher said Oliver was making good progress and had been due to sit his GCSEs this June.

His teachers described him as a "lovable character" with a "wicked sense of humour", who was warmly regarded by fellow pupils.

Title Change Please: Try Blame Video Games Now!

People get worked up over games. It's a sad fact. I have one friend who used to get livid if our team didn't win at Counter-Strike in a clan match, so much so that it actually seemed to ruin his day. I soon stopped playing with him as a result of it. It seems totally trivial to me - people getting worked up over games is silly (although sometimes, they can be frustrating when you make a silly error obviously!). Obviously, debating moves can lead to a mini-argument over the rules but killing yourself as a result of it is just ludicrous!

I doubt this was just over a chess match. The kid probably had something else going on that caused this.

The argument with video games is that, well GTA 4 not including PC sales sold about 12 Million copies (though thats according to VGChartz so it may not be accurate). And there haven't been 12 Million cases of people killing cops, killing prostitutes to get their money back, ect, by owners of the game since the game came out. And so few people committed major crimes after playing the game relative to the number of copies sold that there just really isn't any evidence to say that the game causes people to be violent. They obviously have other problems that cause violence (like they were the victim of bullying or something like that). And if they think the game might unlock this and inspire them to be violent, they shouldn't play the game. And the same really applies to this.

Maybe he was being abused, and this game of chess sent him over the edge?

Maybe all these children that kill people / kill themselves had problems deeper than the thing that sets them off.

I think it's really naive to come to the conclusion that a game of chess was the only problem. Maybe he was being bullied at school? Maybe he was gay and couldn't handle the social pressures? (I've read a pre-suicide post on a gay youth forum - it does happen, it's not very nice to read)

It probably would have happened the same if it had been an argument over who got to watch their preferred show on TV. Any argument is enough to tip someone in a vulnerable position over the edge.

Guys, guys. It's not that you're spamming, not even the whole respect for the dead thing, it's just that you're embarrassing yourselves. You're not even making jokes about the matter at hand.... I expected more.

Edit: on another note, what the heck was the thread title supposed to say?

Guys, guys. It's not that you're spamming, not even the whole respect for the dead thing, it's just that you're embarrassing yourselves. You're not even making jokes about the matter at hand.... I expected more.

Edit: on another note, what the heck was the thread title supposed to say?

If we continue will we be banned?

....Just to clarify, I'm hinting at "Is in another castle" but wasn't sure it was obvious enough, hence need for white text.

Seriously though eh? Yeah I think theres a lot of things that could have been affecting him. Just because someone seems happy, doesn't mean they are.