N-Europe

Blu Ray, Cinema and PS3 going 3D

Choze

Suppossedly via a firmware update for PS3 in the future. Wipeout HD and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue are being showcased at CES with the tech. Requires special 3D glasses.

Pixar and Dreamworks both did a presentation at the keynote. Suppossedly was impressive etc.

No idea how this will actually work out...

arstechnica.com

Sonys:

We've heard from many of you that 3D technology is something you're interested in seeing at CES, and Sony has one of the most impressive displays of 3D at their booth... but you won't learn anything about it.

"Don't get caught up with specs," the Sony representative told me. "We're not going to talk about specifications. This is just a look at what 3D could look like if Sony decided to move in this direction." The idea was just to show the technology to people, to see if they would be interested in sitting at home, wearing a dorky set of black glasses, watching content in 3D.

I couldn't pry details about how the 3D affect was achieved, or if the display could turn any source into 3D, but what's clear is that, glasses or no, the 3D affect is amazing. Sony showed off Wipeout HD running in true 3D, and I was ready to whip out my credit card right there. Frank and I both agreed, this was one of the best demos of 3D technology we have ever seen.

As a bonus, here's a picture of Frank modeling the glasses.

sexy.JPG

"3D has come a long way, hasn't it?" the representative asked me. Sure it has, but give me some details. We can't get excited if all the press gets is a short tech demo. The crowd around the display was large, and filled with "ooohs" and "aaaahs."

This probably won't be the last 3D display we see at CES, but as a proof of concept, our appetite is whetted. Sony claims that they have Gran Turismo Prologue playable on the display, but I just wanted to take one home. The company is hedging its bets about how long it will take to get this level of 3D into your home, but if this tiny taste was any indication, there is a ton of promise.

We're promised more 3D surprises from Sony's even larger press event tomorrow, so hopefully we'll get some more information.

Nvidia's

arstechnica.com

We had a chance to briefly check out Sony's take on 3D gaming yesterday, but Sony wasn't the only company trying to get in on the action. Nvidia was showing off its own technology with its 3D Vision glasses, and unlike Sony's proof of concept display, Nvidia's setup was both playable and ready for purchase. The game on display? Left 4 Dead.

ars_ces_3Dsetup.jpg

Unlike Sony's tech, which used passive glasses, Nvidia's rig relies on a combination of a relatively cutting-edge LCD monitor (with 120 Hz support), a compatible Nvidia graphics card, and a pair of $199 active glasses. It's a pricey setup, one that most modest PC gamers will be waiting on for quite some time until the price comes down substantially. Its undeniable, however, how cool the setup was in motion.

Like most stereoscopic 3D setups, there's a noticeable amount of depth and volume added to the scene, visible almost immediately upon donning the glasses. However, Nvidia's setup takes the concept a step further by allowing users to easily adjust the amount of depth perception with a small nob on the glasses' special dongle. With the knob turned all the way up, the game image seems to jump out at you, to the point where it can almost be distracting—especially in a game as fast-paced as Left 4 Dead.

As a bonus, here's a picture of Ben modeling the glasses:

ars_ces_3Dbenrapist.jpg

We spent a few minutes oogling the in-game models and rotating the camera around our teammates slowly. What's so incredible about the glasses is that they take advantage of the pre-existing volumetric shader work coded into normal games to produce an uncanny volume and "heft" to the character models. One problem? The flat text above players' heads has a bizarre shimmering effect that proves distracting.

Despite that one flaw, though, Nvidia's setup is one to drool over. If the entry cost wasn't such a huge barrier, this would be a must-buy accessory. As it stands, though, this remains a lavish luxury that only the truly dedicated will be willing to purchase. This is the second piece of 3D technology that impressed us here; it works well, the glasses don't cause headache unless you crank the depth all the way up, and you can buy it today.

HDMI Introduces Next Generation Specification

HDMI Licensing, LLC – the agent responsible licensing the High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) specification – has announced five key capabilities and features that will be introduced on the next version of their HDMI technology, which will launch in the first half of 2009.

"HDMI has reached an installed base of more than 600 million devices and now touches almost every consumer device that plays HD content. We want to give the industry a preview of where the HDMI specification is headed as we continue to innovate and meet the needs of this dynamic marketplace," said Steve Venuti, president of HDMI Licensing, LLC.

In the upcoming spec, HDMI will address key industry trends, which will include five innovative features, such as 3D capability, Ethernet connections, and increased resolution performance.

Networking

Consolidation of HD video, HD audio and now high speed data with the addition on Ethernet in the HDMI cable.

Audio Return Channel

Elimination of a S/PDIF cable by allowing for a TV to send audio streams upstream to an A/V receiver for processing and playback over the HDMI cable.

Performance

4K x 2K and 3D are high performance features to be met by increasing the upper limit of the HDMI link.

HD In Your Car

New connector specification for the auto industry as the world's largest auto makers move to digital HD video and audio for 21st century cars with HDMI.

Smaller connector

New, smaller 19-pin connector

Well Panasonic are saying standards are not in place yet but everyone wants it to happen. James Cameron is even emphasizing it with Avatar. So lets see what is required.

Panasonic are implying you may need new tv's though. Others say otherwise and that Blu Ray can take the brunt. So it sounds like everyone is working on getting a standard ready as soon as possible if the positive vibe is anythign to go by. :smile:

I don't really want 3D. Pirates 4D was annoying and wasn't even good, although the short 3D productions I saw in some London 4D theatre was quite interesting. Think it closed though because there was little choice. I went there 2 years after the first visit and they still showed the same things.

No doubt horror films would be 10 times as horror-inducing with 3D.

Is it wrong to think that what that guy did with the Wii sounds more impressive (even if it can only work for one person at a time...then again I can't see many people using this at the same time and I'm certain that it'll never become mainstream)?

Guest Jordan

If we ever do get 3D, we should NOT need glasses. Seriously. 3D displays are possible, why the hell does this industry think people want to wear glasses?

Oh yeah, I'll just come home, sit down on my couch and grab my 3D glasses to watch some TV. What? No.

If we ever do get 3D, we should NOT need glasses. Seriously. 3D displays are possible, why the hell does this industry think people want to wear glasses?

Oh yeah, I'll just come home, sit down on my couch and grab my 3D glasses to watch some TV. What? No.

Then it will be take the 3D glasses off then back on again to watch 3D shows etc.

Can't they do something like this?

Sure, if they want to make people puke from motion sickness :heh:

If it needs a new display then i'll probably just buy a PC set-up and use it for games. There's no way i'm replacing my TV any time in the next five years :shakehead

Right... so if these new HDMI cables are gonna carry the ability to do this new 3D shizzle (with compatable software) but have smaller connectors that won't fit in a PS3 or existing TV then how is all this gonna be possible... :blank:

Yay progress isolating millions one step at a time. Anyway in terms of the whole 3D thing, I always hated those half red half blue 3D glasses, and a pair that I wore at the cinema one ironically left me with a red eye. But I think in the home 3D glasses especially expensive ones are not needed, as they are easy to lose break etc. If that technology is 100% positively needed then something like a 3D virtualisation quantifier screen(™ Ten10 2009) Read screen would be more ideal as its not going anywhere, although probably less effective it would get the job done.

Well lets see what standards come out of this. Excellent stuff come out of Blu Ray so maybe if these companies get together and fix flaws we could see something special. Maybe rushing isnt that best idea either... So lets see.

3D in film is fucking incredible. Forget Beowolf (which was amazing...not the film, the 3d), I've seen some presentations on what's coming and I think it's amazing. Not a standard setting, but for particular works it'll be amazing. I think it's pretty exciting.

If games use the same tech, and it's optional, I'm all for it!!

HDMI with smaller connections will probably be able to bridge the connection with a simple adapter. Similar to DVI-HDMI, hell ATI video cards only have DVI, but come with HDMI adapters, and support 8channel audio through the HDMI.

I too have noticed the push for 3D TVs but I believe this glasses are not the way to go, there's some TVs that separate the signal alone and allow the viewer multiple sweet points. Either way, if this really is going to happen, it will happen first on video games because they're already rendered in 3D while movies have to be captured with special cameras.

Is it wrong to think that what that guy did with the Wii sounds more impressive (even if it can only work for one person at a time...then again I can't see many people using this at the same time and I'm certain that it'll never become mainstream)?

What Wii stuff?

Edit: OH! The Asian dude, its impressive its ingenuity and how cheap it is to make but its a different kind of 3D, its 3D inside the display while this one (I suppose) allows 3D outside the display.