Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Wrasslin' thread

Jav_NE

As an old school fan of WWF, let's say I started watching when Shawn Michaels left the Rockers and was an avid fan until about Wrestlemania XII, is it worth me buying this?

For some reason I really want to watch a bit of wrestling.

hmmm will its hard to say. Undertaker vs shawn michaels was an excellent match and the final match but beyond there wasn't much special about the event?

When did you stop watching wrestling? The last wrestlemania I thought was really REALLY good I think was 19.

As an old school fan of WWF' date=' let's say I started watching when Shawn Michaels left the Rockers and was an avid fan until about Wrestlemania XII, is it worth me buying this?

For some reason I really want to watch a bit of wrestling.[/quote']

This wrestlemania was way better than others in recent years, so I'd say this isn't a bad gamble to make. Especially considering what the final match was.

When did you stop watching wrestling? The last wrestlemania I thought was really REALLY good I think was 19.

Honestly, I think 21 was pretty good, too...

Way before then! I reckon the last time I properly watched it would be when the Rock was corporate/peoples champion having various feuds with Mankind. The corporate ministry were around as well - maybe 1999ish?

I think I will give this a go, Undertaker vs HBK sounds like something I definitely want to see.

Way before then! I reckon the last time I properly watched it would be when the Rock was corporate/peoples champion having various feuds with Mankind. The corporate ministry were around as well - maybe 1999ish?

I think I will give this a go' date=' Undertaker vs HBK sounds like something I definitely want to see.[/quote']

give wrestlemania 19 a download too. Shawn michaels vs chris jericho is a fantastic match... in fact just watch it on youtube I'd say it's there :)

well 1999ish? wrestling didn't get bad until after wrestlemania 17.. pretty much exactly the same time they bought wcw and ecw.

By the way wrestlemania 17 is the best of all time :D

Major spoiler

Jack Swagger cashes in his briefcase and pins Chris Jericho after he was attacked by Edge to become the new World Champion

Anyway, I was really looking forward to Mania - the booking and hype this year was fantastic, and it was just...there - and lacked that "big event" feel, even the entrances were bland. Nothing really stood out apart from HBK/Taker. Vince/Bret went on for waaaaay too long, the swerve was revealed far too early, I almost felt sympathetic for McMahon about 5 minutes into it and Bret was almost heelish in his actions. They could have shortened this by 5 minutes and given more to Rey vs Punk (which I thought was a street fight by the way, why did the ref threaten to do a count out?)

The retirement speech by HBK was really emotional - one of the rare "real" moments in wrestling. Just hope that he doesn't do what Ric Flair did. I've been watching WWF since 1989, when he was with the Rockers, and it was kind of like growing up watching him. The next major wrestler from my generation to retire will likely be Taker - probably within the next couple of years

Edited by Dog-amoto

i thought edge would win but jericho never really had a big win at wrestlemania.. I remember him losing the title to HHH at wrestlemania 18 losing to shawn michaels at 19... kept going.

It is nice to finally see him getting a big win at mania tho that was tainted in itself, tho he did win against the legend wrestlers one wrestlemania if i remember correctly, i would love to see him get one untainted title win there tho he was given the undispuited title which was awesome

give wrestlemania 19 a download too. Shawn michaels vs chris jericho is a fantastic match... in fact just watch it on youtube I'd say it's there :)

wrestling didn't get bad until after wrestlemania 17.. pretty much exactly the same time they bought wcw and ecw.

that match is on youtube in decent enough quailty. i do believe tho that the invasion angle was one of the best ones since it was so consuming as far as all wrestlers were involved fighting for their jobs

Major spoiler

Jack Swagger cashes in his briefcase and pins Chris Jericho after he was attacked by Edge to become the new World Champion

Who the fucking hell is Jack Swagger?

Haha, he's come a long way in the last 15 or so months.

He is a decent wrestler; also won me over since I made that post. I was hoping Kofi or Christian would win Money in the Bank last week but I couldn't argue with Swagger winning it. Now he's world champion, good for him. Good for him. :smile:

He is a decent wrestler; also won me over since I made that post. I was hoping Kofi or Christian would win Money in the Bank last week but I couldn't argue with Swagger winning it. Now he's world champion, good for him. Good for him. :smile:

Whats that, the quickest Money in the Bank cash-in so far. I know Edge did it after beating Mr Kennedy for it within a day. But i think thats the quickest ever for the original winner of the contract to cash in.

Good for Swagger. It's about time he got a decent push, after being put out as a clown against Santino. I see a Triple Threat happening between Edge, Jericho and Swagger.

And once again, Smackdown is awesome :grin:

I must say, Swagger surprised and impressed me. He has a great finisher, good charisma and is not a bad wrestler. He carried himself well on this smackdown, and was certainly treated more seriously than, say, Sheamus did when he was champion.

• 1 month later...

Was really weird, as I always thought that when Randy Orton punched the mat doing his "viper" bit, that it looked painful and he could injure himself doing it...and now he has. Apparently, he separated his shoulder doing it in his match against Edge at last night's Over The Limit PPV. They had to end the match prematurely in a double count out!

• 8 months later...

Bumpety bump.

Finally...THE ROCK...HAS COME BACK TO WRESTLEMANIA!!!

He was announced as the guest host at last night's Raw and had some choice words to say about Cena.

Interesting...I wonder if they're going to phase out the PG era. Hopefully so, as they have been acknowledging that PG TV has its limitation recently and the Rock seems to be back for the long run, maybe on a part time basis but who knows?

The problem is, that once this wave of nostalgia is over, will the WWE go back to the same tired old product that the fans have been rejecting for the past two years, or will this be a new dawn?

Here's hoping! :cool:

As sad as it is, I had tears in my eyes when his music hit, I then went hyper! I didn't even know he returned until I checked GoNintendo this morning and it was posted at the top of the page.

I stopped watching the WWE not long after he left but I still followed his movie career. I'm so happy he is back, even if it's just for Wrestlemania. Looks like I will be watching WWE again. :D

2ikozds.jpg

Rock is here to save us from the shit that Cena has contaminated during the 7 years.

Ah, its the male equivilent of "Miz Girl". You'll only know what i'm on about, if anyone saw the RAW when Miz won the title.

I loved how at first the PG rated thing tried to bleep out Rocks swearing but gave up early into it :D

Haha, that was great. No-one can generate the electricity and the atmosphere like The Rock can, not even fan-boy Cena. Did Michael Cole ever read the GM e-mail?. Because good ol Rock wouldn't let him, which was awesome.

On the SD front of things, i hear Ziggler is being crowned the champ and Edge is getting fired. All over the "banned" spear and attacking the GM.

I havn't watched WWE for years but hearing The Rock's theme is electric and hearing the crowds reaction gets me excited. If it goes back to the style of the Attitude Era i would probably tune in again. The Rock is a legend, no one can work the crowd like he can. It's amazing to think that a lot of the WWE crowd don't really know who he is, even though to me it doesn't seem that long ago since he was at his peak.

I'm just getting old.

What WWE misses the most is an announcer the calibre of Jim Ross.

Michael Cole is awful. What makes it worse is that he's now a heel. So he's cheering on the Miz and calling Daniel Bryan a nerd and boring one minute, then trying to sell a PPV the next. It just has no credibility whatsoever. He would be brilliant as a heel manager or colour commentator, but as the lead announcer on both Raw and SmackDown, it just doesn't work. Even when he was a normal announcer, he is terrible on commentary. He doesn't know many names for the moves, and just goes "ooooh" when something happens.

The HBK v Taker match at WM25 was legendary, mainly due to JR's commentary. He was sorely missed at the rematch a year later.

What WWE misses the most is an announcer the calibre of Jim Ross.

Michael Cole is awful. What makes it worse is that he's now a heel. So he's cheering on the Miz and calling Daniel Bryan a nerd and boring one minute, then trying to sell a PPV the next. It just has no credibility whatsoever. He would be brilliant as a heel manager or colour commentator, but as the lead announcer on both Raw and SmackDown, it just doesn't work. Even when he was a normal announcer, he is terrible on commentary. He doesn't know many names for the moves, and just goes "ooooh" when something happens.

The HBK v Taker match at WM25 was legendary, mainly due to JR's commentary. He was sorely missed at the rematch a year later.

Cole isn't the best commentator, even Booker T is better than Cole and he just started doing the commentary on Smackdown. Loved how he was told to shut up and sit down right before he could get to the GM laptop. And his face afterwards was legendary, picture of 1,000 words right there. And his "choice" words for Cena definetly make the confrontation even more realistic. People say to leave Cena alone, because he said the stuff when he was young. Rock certainly hasn't forgotten. Loved how he compared eras right down to giving a Cena impression, which upset the kiddys.

People kept saying that The Rock would never return, because he turned his back on the fans and wrestling. RAW sure as heck made these people go hush, and it bought a chill down my spine when his music hit. As i say, no-one can generate the electric atmosphere he does, even after 7 years he can still get the fans in his hands.

As the 600th ep of SD is tonight (shown Friday), wonder if Rock will make an appearance.

Edited by Jimbob