N-Europe

The Wrasslin' thread

Jav_NE

The Chyna documentary is currently on Amazon Prime. Just watched it and it was pretty good viewing, although it's tragic what happened to her. I didn't realise her fall from grace was so fast.

I always loved her rivalries with Jericho and Jeff Jarrett. 

Thinking about resubscribing to the network and watching 2001 onwards. Canceled after i watched 1998 through 2000. WCW was bought out in March of that year and theats when they started the whole invasion plot which i remember being pretty entertaining when i watched it as a kid. the NWO doesn't appear untill No Way Out in 2002 though.

1 hour ago, martinist said:

Thinking about resubscribing to the network and watching 2001 onwards. Canceled after i watched 1998 through 2000. WCW was bought out in March of that year and theats when they started the whole invasion plot which i remember being pretty entertaining when i watched it as a kid. the NWO doesn't appear untill No Way Out in 2002 though.

Just remember it all goes over to Netflix from Jan 1st. So probably do it all before then in case we don’t get everything moved over right away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Just remember it all goes over to Netflix from Jan 1st. So probably do it all before then in case we don’t get everything moved over right away. 

Do we know what's happening with that yet in terms of content? We were discussing it at work last week. I don't have Netflix but said I would be very tempted to subscribe once the WWE stuff hits, providing there is access to the classic stuff.

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Do we know what's happening with that yet in terms of content? We were discussing it at work last week. I don't have Netflix but said I would be very tempted to subscribe once the WWE stuff hits, providing there is access to the classic stuff.

I've heard nothing of what content will go across, but I'm going if Netflix wants to keep and get the WWE crowed, then they need a lot of the old content. It's what many people subscribe for 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Wrestlemania 17 while i was working my way through 2001. I forgot how good 17 was and how they built everything up. There was a few minor matches like Jerico and Regal for the Intercontinental and a really short match for the Women's tital with Chyna and Ivory. Angle and Bennoit singles match and a European Title match with Eddie Gurrero and Test

The big matches were probably TLC 2 for the tag titles, the Shane and Vince Street fight, Undetaker and HHH and the Rock and Stone Cold for the World title.

WCW was bought the week before and they had this storyline where it was Shane that bought the company out from under Vince so now they are setting up for the invasion stuff. Spike Dudley and Ryno were introduced two or three weeks before the PPV.

Biggest pop was probably when Linda was sitting in the corner of the ring, storyline wise shes doped up on pills and paralytic while vince is hitting Shane with a trash can in the ring she stands up and boots him in the balls. Shane then sets him up in the corner with a trash can against him and jumps from one end of the ring to the other to finish the match.

The Stone Cold and Rock match was longer than i remember from when i was a kid. Match went on for almost a full half hour and they were kicking out of everything. All the time J.R and Paul Heyman are screaming over each other. It was pretty fun to watch then Vince comes out and gives Austin a chair and he does his heel turn before it ends with J.R screaming about Austin making a deal with  the devil for the World Championchip belt and how everything in the company is gonig to change.

Haven't watched the Raw or Smackdown after but i vagely remember this is when WCW and ECW guys start regularly showing up through Shane's feaud with Vince.

• Like 5

I thought it was OK while it was happening but its still the biggest missed opportunity in the history of wrestling due to the stars who couldn't be brought in while they were sitting out the remainder of their contracts. It could have been so much better if they hadn't had to pad the WCW and ECW rosters with WWF stars.

• Like 2

I think WM 17 is still considered one of the best ones. 
Yeah I remember all that invasion stuff, I remember the first Raw after it had happened, I think they has a WCW match on last. Like logo was WCW, commentary was, it was basically a WCW segment. Then it was never heard or seen in that manner again. It was all just WWE with WCw stars which then started the wider story. 
Big missed opportunity but Vince would probably never had have any WCW guy go over to make them look strong anyway. Could have had them getting the upper hand and looking like a real,threat all run by Shane. Eventually Vince and WWE guys would start the comeback and eventually win out (mirroring the actual Monday Night Wars) but nope.  

• Like 1

One thing I wish they'd done after bringing them back at X7 was using Mean Gene and Bobby Heenan more again. Two of the best that ever worked in wrestling and I think there was still a place for them. Mean Gene ran circles around Michael Cole as a backstage interviewer and when he actually cared Heenan was better than Lawler as a heel commentator.

• Like 3

On 9/22/2024 at 7:28 PM, martinist said:

Just watched Wrestlemania 17 while i was working my way through 2001. I forgot how good 17 was and how they built everything up. There was a few minor matches like Jerico and Regal for the Intercontinental and a really short match for the Women's tital with Chyna and Ivory. Angle and Bennoit singles match and a European Title match with Eddie Gurrero and Test

The big matches were probably TLC 2 for the tag titles, the Shane and Vince Street fight, Undetaker and HHH and the Rock and Stone Cold for the World title.

WCW was bought the week before and they had this storyline where it was Shane that bought the company out from under Vince so now they are setting up for the invasion stuff. Spike Dudley and Ryno were introduced two or three weeks before the PPV.

Biggest pop was probably when Linda was sitting in the corner of the ring, storyline wise shes doped up on pills and paralytic while vince is hitting Shane with a trash can in the ring she stands up and boots him in the balls. Shane then sets him up in the corner with a trash can against him and jumps from one end of the ring to the other to finish the match.

The Stone Cold and Rock match was longer than i remember from when i was a kid. Match went on for almost a full half hour and they were kicking out of everything. All the time J.R and Paul Heyman are screaming over each other. It was pretty fun to watch then Vince comes out and gives Austin a chair and he does his heel turn before it ends with J.R screaming about Austin making a deal with  the devil for the World Championchip belt and how everything in the company is gonig to change.

Haven't watched the Raw or Smackdown after but i vagely remember this is when WCW and ECW guys start regularly showing up through Shane's feaud with Vince.

Those TLC matches were so good!  I wondered what they could possibly do differently in that one, but the addition of Lita, Rhyno & Spike were brilliantly done.

Such a shame how the Invasion angle turned out, considering how hot it started.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2024 at 9:28 PM, martinist said:

My favourite PPV of all time. 

The hardcore match between Raven, Big Show and Kane is also great. 

The promo video for the world title match between The Rock and Stone Cold still sends chills down my spine. Top Stuff. 

TLC II, Angle vs. Benoit, HHH vs. Taker and the main even are all 5* matches. 

This was peak WWE for me. While I enjoyed the Invasion angle a lot, and a lot of the stuff in the mid 2000s with Benoit, Guerrero, Evolution and JBL, it started going downhill significantly after that, especially with the roster split. 1997-2001 was when they were on a complete roll. Maybe it was just the fact I was a teenager during that time, but it was very special. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

This was peak WWE for me. While I enjoyed the Invasion angle a lot, and a lot of the stuff in the mid 2000s with Benoit, Guerrero, Evolution and JBL, it started going downhill significantly after that, especially with the roster split. 1997-2001 was when they were on a complete roll. Maybe it was just the fact I was a teenager during that time, but it was very special. 

That's when I lost interest in it. I remember a little bit of the JBL and Evolution stuff but I was only dipping in and out of it, not really watching it every week like I used to. The Rock and Austin had left by then. :( 

I do remember this Royal Rumble moment from 2005 though.

Hilarious stuff. I loved Eddie. :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's when I lost interest in it. I remember a little bit of the JBL and Evolution stuff but I was only dipping in and out of it, not really watching it every week like I used to. The Rock and Austin had left by then. :( 

I do remember this Royal Rumble moment from 2005 though.

Hilarious stuff. I loved Eddie. :D

JBL got a lot of hate, but I adored his character. It was a nice throwback to the absurd gimmicks of the 90s and he played the role superbly. He was top drawer stuff on the mic. I know he was pretty bad in the ring, but his feud with Eddie in 2004 was fantastic, he really helped elevate Eddie to stardom. 

Evolution was a great stable too, pushed Orton and Batista into the big time. The turn on Orton and then Batista doing it back to HHH and Flair are still some of the best moments of the mid-2000s. Went to see a live event in Manchester when they were at their peak and Flair was great. Amazing that he was still able to entertain to such a high level at that age. 

• Like 2

I'm just starting the 5th episode (this might not have been my most productive work day ever 😆) and its a good documentary which isn't necessarily shying away from stuff but it definitely feels like more of a series about the WWE than it does about Vince. Now I know its so hard to separate the two but we really are just hitting all the historical beats with Hogan, Wrestlemania, Monday Night Wars, Attitude Era, Owen's death etc. I expect the last episode might be the big one for all the current allegations but it does almost feel like a history promo for them joining Netflix next year. As I said, not a bad one or even a puff piece, more of a last minute pivot.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Happenstance said:

I'm just starting the 5th episode (this might not have been my most productive work day ever 😆) and its a good documentary which isn't necessarily shying away from stuff but it definitely feels like more of a series about the WWE than it does about Vince. Now I know its so hard to separate the two but we really are just hitting all the historical beats with Hogan, Wrestlemania, Monday Night Wars, Attitude Era, Owen's death etc. I expect the last episode might be the big one for all the current allegations but it does almost feel like a history promo for them joining Netflix next year. As I said, not a bad one or even a puff piece, more of a last minute pivot.

That’s interesting to know so far. I’m definitely going to watch it, and while I’m sure Netflix will do their best to drum up interest, they’re not going to risk burying the company with their recent buy-out.  With the lawsuit still underway I imagine there’s only so much they’ll be able to cover on it. Until season 2 anyway… 😉

1 minute ago, martinist said:

Tripple H just tore his Quadricept muscle during a tag match on RAW is WAR with Chris Jerico and Bennoit while defending the tag titles with Austin. He won't be back for the rest of the year...

And when he does come back it will be wearing some snazzy bicycle shorts