N-Europe

Top 3 Gaming Moments of 2008

Daft

Oddly, the controls are one of the main things I don't like about the Wii. Too many games will generally be reduced to waggling randomly, especially the ever-unresponsive nunchuck. Shooters are especially bad, as the moment you point off screen at something that is even just reflecting a reflection of sunlight, or other IR source, and you spin round in circles. The IR, even when on screen, is a little too sensitive - claims of realism fail when a slight wobble that wouldn't have an effect on something of the mass of a real weapon sends your aim roughly two clicks wide of the target. Nintendo haven't done enough in my eyes for the console.

Now I think about it, they've done a reversal on their performance with the 'Cube. With the previous generation, they didn't market the console well enough, or gain enough third party support, but the hardware was flawless and the first party games were exceptional, with several gems from other studios. This time around, they've created a media frenzy and got all the big players on-side. However, the console still lacks a DVD player, the online still sucks (although, in fairness, exists), the first party games are few and far between (and normally, to me, aren't as good as similar offerings on the 360) and the third party offerings, whilst many, range from flawed potential to a little bit better that rubbish.

It's been a bad year for Nintendo in my books, and 2009 doesn't look like it's going to help them at all.

I think bitterness for the Wii stems from the fact that a New Gen console is getting a lot of Old Gen stuff. Twilight Princess, Okami, RE4... Ultimate editions of the game but still last gen games nonetheless. If it wasn't for the Wii remote, what else would really justify a Wii purchase? Even so, its a shame most people seek out their old Gamecube pads to enjoy Wii games.

All I really want to see on Wii is software being taken to that next level - and I don't just mean graphically. Compared to the deeper advancements companies are making to games like: RE5, Final Fantasy 13 and MGS4... The advancements in games such as TP, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Brawl, Metroid and even Galaxy seem minor in comparison. Some may just not understand what I mean by "deeper advancements" but to each his/her own... But I'm guessing a lot of 360/PS3 owners know exactly what I mean. I guess I'm more on the side of advancing software rather than innovative hardware, you know, a game where you KNOW the developers really went to the drawing board with this one.

But to be a bit 'saucy', if I am entirely honest, selling my Wii(s) in 2007 were actually great moments. Remembering when CEX were taking them in for £200+ and that didn't even include Wii Sports, that was the greatest bit of profit I have ever made and I always left the shop happy. :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Beating a random guy in HMV at a game of Soul Calibur 4.

It was awesome. I destroyed him at 3 rounds. In front of a few people waiting to play. I hope he was sufficiently humiliated.

2. Finishing DMC 4.

I know in terms of gameplay, it was mediocre, and in terms of storyline, it was awful. And I definetly know that in terms of dialogue, it was absolutley poor. But being the fangirl I am - I /loved/ Nero. So sexy >.<

3. My 360 being delivered back to my house.

Just in time for Fable II!

1. Other people getting to play Chrono Trigger, and thus significantly diminshing my status as a rambling madman whenever I go on about it :heh:

2. Simultaneously getting a second arcade stick and the release of SF2T: HD Remix. As a result, I've got so many uni friends addicted to Street Fighter. Awesome!

3. Finally getting my hands on Gears 2. Wooo. Now I just need to start playing multiplayer...=D

1. Other people getting to play Chrono Trigger, and thus significantly diminshing my status as a rambling madman whenever I go on about it :heh:

2. Simultaneously getting a second arcade stick and the release of SF2T: HD Remix. As a result, I've got so many uni friends addicted to Street Fighter. Awesome!

3. Finally getting my hands on Gears 2. Wooo. Now I just need to start playing multiplayer...=D

Which arcade stick are you using btw? I want SF2T:HD remix but the 360's d-pad...eugh.

There's only one good one available for the 360 atm. It's the Hori EX2. I got it from Amazon.co.uk for 40 quid brand new. Got two of em now. They've gone down in price actually, I got my first one for 80 quid, but that's when they were discontinued for a while. Definitely get yourself one ;).

having played world at war today i could make a list of 2008 greatest gaming moments based entierly on the opening few levels of that.

and i will

3. guilt. after a battle i was survaying that damage, saw a group of dead nazis, all horribly disfgured by the grenade id hit them with, seeing there mangled bodies made me feel like a bastard, and realise once again just how awful war really is.

2. shooting a flamethrowers fule tank. that was increadable, and took out a small group of em

1. bayonetting a japanise guy. he ran at me, trying to stab me, i got there first. un belivable to see a man stopped, a look of shock on his face, then drop to his knees dying, only to have me bayonette him again. anouther god war is awful moment, mostly due to stuperb animation.

3. Playing Oblivion

Begrudge the game a little bit now because of how long it is taking me to complete but when I was playing through this initially I just couldn't stop playing it. So many different quests to get on with. Shame that they only use about 5 voices in the entire game.

2. Bioshock

Just in here becuase I thought it had a lot of character. Nice to play and extremely atmospheric at times, though not without it's flaws. Difficulty curve springs to mind.

1. Getting Xbox live

Was never too fussed for online gaming until I really tried it. Very easy to use and adds a lot more value to existing games. Makes me so glad I sold my Wii to get a 360 :)Wii fanboy incoming alert

3. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - Graphic powerhouse...What a game, I never could have imagined how good it is! Incredible incredible racing game. PS3 owners must buy!

2. Resistance 2 Just picking people off in 60 player online match with a friend - Brilliant

1. Metal Gear Solid 4 - The whole thing was magical. One moment in particular made me smile and cry at the same time.

"You discover the Shadow Moses helipad again and you're greeted with epic music, you wonder around and the scene that got me was where you see the Surveillance camera in a flash back and then it falls off the wall and you see a glint of sorrow in Snakes eye. Amazing stuff"]

Honourable mentions

Fallout 3 - One of my favourite games this year, just a QUALITY game. VATS still hasn't got old and there's always new things to do and kill.

LittleBigPlanet - brilliant user-created content and I especially like the MGS add-on stuff.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - some really funny moments and beautiful environments. 'What's wrong? Never seen a U-Boat in the middle of a jungle before??'

1. Metal Gear Solid 4 - The whole thing was magical. One moment in particular made me smile and cry at the same time.

"You discover the Shadow Moses helipad again and you're greeted with epic music, you wonder around and the scene that got me was where you see the Surveillance camera in a flash back and then it falls off the wall and you see a glint of sorrow in Snakes eye. Amazing stuff"]

One thing I loved about MGS4 is I swear that the graphics actually get better as you progress.

The bit when you finally get through the microwave tunnel at the end and the ending fight just looked amazing.

First time my jaw literally dropped. Sublime.

I don't see game matching it for graphics for a while.

3. Completing Mass Effect 1050/1050

2. Reliving classic GameBoy memories in HD through Bionic Commando: Rearmed

1. Completing the Rock Band ultimate endless set list with nami and shorty jayseven. Took an age and lots of swearing and pain but we did all seventysomething 58 songs without melting the xbox. Although it may have contributed to its current state of disrepair

1. Super Smash Bros Brawl - First in black and white and then bought it again in colour XD

2. Discovering how absolutely awesome Guitar Hero 3 is and getting so good so fast I had my friends watching me with mouths agape.

3. Playing Littlebigplanet, that is a superb game!