N-Europe

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll reserve some judgement til I see it in motion, but that doesn't change the fact I think they could have done SO much more with this in terms of visual style.

Come on FLink, you must see the potential this could of had as an aniversary game! Instead it looks to just be based off the recent movie [despite what they say].

I'm going to be honest. I didn't really read most of that reply, as I've had that damn song in mah head.

Well, I dunno, some of the visuals look pretty nice in this. I looked at that first picture with the sewers and glowing characters (zoomed out, it looked) and immediately the backgrounds caught my eye.

Sure, it looks like the characters have been superimposed onto the background. But, take a backwards step here and look at the bigger picture: The Turtles were placed in a realistic setting. So, in this sense, that picture is fine.

What I would have liked: A turtles game based on the cartoon. Visuals done in the style of the cartoon, with the original voice actors. Is this possible? I dunno, but it would've owned.

What I would have liked: A turtles game based on the cartoon. Visuals done in the style of the cartoon, with the original voice actors. Is this possible? I dunno, but it would've owned.
Yeah that's what I'm saying I would want from an anniversary game!

And not that movie [at least like you say that would make it a bit more acceptable graphics wise], but it seems to be based directly off of the latest movie, TMNT [Turtles 4].

Yeah that's what I'm saying I would want from an anniversary game!

And not that movie [at least like you say that would make it a bit more acceptable graphics wise], but it seems to be based directly off of the latest movie, TMNT [Turtles 4].

For me, that would be more than an anniversary game. It would be a perfect game, haha.

I guess it does make a lot of sense for them to base it off the latest movie, right? Like, if they decided to make a game based on The Hulk, they'd base it off the recent film/s, and not the oldies. It's more recent, and it's probably better for the younger audience out there.

But still, even then, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a bad game. Once you see past all of this, it might end up being a nifty little number.

Get over it, if it weren't for the revamp it got recently we wouldn't even have a new game. We and our beloved version of the turtles had our chance and it was awesome, but we gotta let go, the graphics look good and maybe they'll put the old version in.

But still, even then, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a bad game. Once you see past all of this, it might end up being a nifty little number.

That about says it all :)

Come on Retro, I know that there's some youth sentiment in all of us that's been utterly crushed with this, but did you actually see that last mmmovie? Not too bad a timewaster :)

By the way, how come you went from this

But I do love me some turtles! and am looking forward to the first trailer!

to

They are just the movie models and in a very poor resolution! It looks as if it was a PSP game being ported to Wii.

in a matter of days?

Sorry to pull your words out of emotional context there, but I felt that it had to be done :P

Certainly looks better than the last TMNT game...

tmnt_game.jpg

I remain mildly excited due to the sheer pedigree of the developers working on the title.(Ala Noku's sentiments.)

If we get something even half as good as Smash Bros. Brawl I'll be over the moon. The franchise has a lot of scope and it would be great to see different costumes or trophies ala Smash with the different decades designs of the turtles.

I can't see it happening due to the gritty design already shown and they would have trumpeted retro features from the off to rock the fanboy world.

Shame as it would be sublime to face off an 80's design against the modern designed turtle. (Even if it doesn't seem right when the brothers 4 fight one another.)

Anyway, having the chance to play a TMNT beat-em-up ala smash (which seems like a nice alternative to the Double Dragon template) and moreso - 'online', is something I thought would never happen. I'm happy at the moment. I'm just gonna relax about it until more media (trailers?) surface.

That about says it all :)

Come on Retro, I know that there's some youth sentiment in all of us that's been utterly crushed with this, but did you actually see that last mmmovie? Not too bad a timewaster :)

By the way, how come you went from this

to

in a matter of days?

Sorry to pull your words out of emotional context there, but I felt that it had to be done :P

Yeah I did see the latest movie, and yeah it was alright, but that was because it reminded me of watching turtles and because it had some great effects and scenes.

This has just dissapointed me because [to me anyway], it doesn't look like they are putting much effort in.

If you compare those character models to SSBB, they're worlds apart.

I don't think developers have much of an excuse to produce a bad 2D fighter tbh, because all you are creating on a visual scale are character models and fighting stages; no vast open overworlds, huge levels etc... just flat 2D comfined arena's.

Come on, look at SSBB, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter 4, or the updated Street Fighters on Xbox Live.

This:

But I do love me some turtles! and am looking forward to the first trailer!
Was when all I'd seen were zoomed out magazine scans and read that they wanted aspects to be better than brawl, that it would be its own visual style, and all the different modes etc...
They are just the movie models and in a very poor resolution! It looks as if it was a PSP game being ported to Wii.
This was when I'd seen some actual screens.

But hey, I guess I'm in the minority, and you're right maybe it is too early to judge.

So bring on the first trailer and maybe all will be forgotten! Provided I can see through my own nostalgic goggles of watching a new TURLES!! game, to the real game underneath!

I don't think developers have much of an excuse to produce a bad 2D fighter tbh, because all you are creating on a visual scale are character models and fighting stages; no vast open overworlds, huge levels etc... just flat 2D comfined arena's.

Come on, look at SSBB, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter 4, or the updated Street Fighters on Xbox Live.

Buh? Soul Calibur ain't 2D, SSBB is not limited to a small confined arena (not to mention the items), and the sprites in SF3/SF2 remake take a lot of work.

As for the "good" part, I suppose making sure a game is fun, balanced, and that it has fluid gameplay is a task in itself.

Buh? Soul Calibur ain't 2D, SSBB is not limited to a small confined arena (not to mention the items), and the sprites in SF3/SF2 remake take a lot of work.

As for the "good" part, I suppose making sure a game is fun, balanced, and that it has fluid gameplay is a task in itself.

- No soul calibur isn't, but it's an example of beautiful 3D character models [which TMNT could produce but so far hasn't].

- Don't think you understood what I meant by confined arena.

In beatem-ups all developers have to do is create a 'stage' that fits within the TV screen do duel it out in.

I was saying that compared to developing a game such as Zelda, Resident Evil, Gears etc... they are not exactly having to create vast environments. They create fight stages, that's it, therefore I see no reason why these 2D fight stages shouldn't be extremely detailed.

- Right?! So why shouldn't this game feature a lot of work in it's characters.

- No soul calibur isn't, but it's an example of beautiful 3D character models [which TMNT could produce but so far hasn't].

Well, if you're going to compare graphics, then expecting this to be on par with the best of the best is a bit unrealistic. I'd be surprised if the graphics were on par with Soul Calibur's (especially considering we're talking about Turtles here)

- Don't think you understood what I meant by confined arena.

In beatem-ups all developers have to do is create a 'stage' that fits within the TV screen do duel it out in.

I was saying that compared to developing a game such as Zelda, Resident Evil, Gears etc... they are not exactly having to create vast environments. They create fight stages, that's it, therefore I see no reason why these 2D fight stages shouldn't be extremely detailed.

- Right?! So why shouldn't this game feature a lot of work in it's characters.

Once again, they're just graphics. Sure, that part may be easy to do (except for sprites), but the rest is a bit more difficult.

Sure, the graphics may not be top-notch, but remember that it could be much worse. And the graphics don't matter once you're fighting it out.

Point is, I just don't see why should we be so angry/disappointed with only a bunch of screens. And only 2 of them actually show gameplay elements.

I don't necessarily expect them to be up there with soul calibre, but they could at least have some polish to them!

But hey, point is I was expecting more, now that I've seen some screens I'll wait for a gameplay trailer and see if that changes my opinion.

I don't think it was too much to be expecting a team comprised of Ubisoft [who for the next gen consoles are capable of producing sublime visuals] and ex-Smash Bros developers to produce something astouding!

But then after all this is Ubisoft and the Wii!

A fantastically stylised 2D cel shaded beat'em up, drawing level design/character inspiration from the 80's cartoon;

This is actually based on the original comic:

tmntebaytj7.jpg

Y'know, the one where Raphael is murderous sociopath, Baxter Stockman is black, and Shredder tries to commit seppuku in the first comic. Characters look very faithful to the original, except for bandannas. I also find it great that Laird is writing the story and choosing the characters. Most characters that appeared in the cartoon weren't his creations, and I will be really interested to see what characters he will choose. It would be pretty hilarious if he chose original Krang, for example. :)

Why do we look at the art direction and instantly jump to a debate over what it's 'based on'? Can't it remain totally original yet sport a look that happens to be similar to a previous franchise outing?
What's wrong with discussing where the look has drawn it's inspiration from? Nothing wrong with a nostalgic look over the series!

And how can it be totally original, yet sport a similar look?

I'm excited about this. On a side note but complete relevant and awesome.

My family have gutted my old bedroom, which was a converted loft, which became the loft when I left, and thus a complete tip of the genrations of history of myself and family.

Anyways. Turtles was my obsession when I was a kid. I had loads of toys, merchanides, books a lot. My first love, when I was 18/19; well I lived with her and took all my stuff with me; including said Turtles stuff. Anyways, after a sudden breakup and me dartin out of there quick. I left a lot of my stuff with at hers.

Years of pain later, dreaming of all the amazing turtles toys I had.....well I found them at my parents house! I couldn't believe it. For 10 years i thought they were lost for good. Now I have them. All of them. And loads of amazing books, the coin collection, shit loads of comics (inc. first issue). It was amazing :D