Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Has Wii lost the hardcore gamer?

Guest Maase

After reading your huuuuge post, I saw this and chuckled a little.

Why would you buy Rock Band 1 or 2 on anything other than a 360 or PS3? I mean, DLC and features were ripped out of the Wii version and thats most of the point of the game.

Not everyone has a PS3 and 360. And the point of the game is downloading songs? :P

:laughing: With the Wii "not being online," the mind boggles at how we play Mario Kart! How has it been possible? It must be down to those friend codes and... Shigsy is clearly a witch. :eek:

More like a wizard :P But I know! It's a mistery!

Lazy, I'm sorry but you need to inform yourself better. What Dazzy said basically (although I have much more than 20 hours in Z&W)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My I'm sorry, but I know for a FACT that you are talking about things you don't fully understand. Other than the fact that Pro Evo Wii is unlike any other football game ever and you are dismissing it!! WHAT!?!?! But Pro Evo Wii is AN ONLINE GAME. And what's more, is WAY SMOOTHER than the 360 version. Trust me, I have both! If you actually played both games you know you'd be talking shit. Trust me, this isn't subjective opinion, it's FACT.

And playing games for 15 years and can know a game in 15 minutes :D Are you real?!?! You're intellgient, you have strong opinion, I like you; but this comment doesn't do you any favours.

Zack and Wicki no replay. Well it does actually, again if you played it you'd know that there are loads of hidden challenges in the game. But like most Wii games it sounds like you haven't really played them. And personally a 20 hour adventure with more original design then most NEXT GEN games is good enough for me.

I don't need to go on other console board, because unlike you, I only talk about games I have played or own. Call of Duty 4 I own. And guess what, I play Mario Kart online 100 times more than I play CoD4 - but that can't be. Wii has shit online and to enjoy online you must have a 360!!!!

Mate, prefer the next gen machines, fine; there are some amazing games for all consoles; but your dismissal of the Wiis games, your moving of goalposts in its software, your clear lack of actually playing a lot of the software....well......you sound a little uninformed whilst pretending to know a lot

I had both and sold the Wii version. Why?? Because it wasn't as good. Both are inferior to Fifa this time around anyway.

You saying you can't play Charlie's Angles for 15 minutes and tell its a piece of shit? There's hidden quality, and there's just plain mediocre, and the gaming community seems to agree with me on the whole with Wii Music.

I am not going to go through Zack & Wiki doing all the puzzles again, because I know them already. Thus once i've completed it (which I haven't) I doubt i'll be playing it again.

So you have CoD4 and your still claim it has only 6 hours of gameplay? Really?

Let me do this again. I do not actively seek to dismiss game for shits and giggles. There are more games on the 360 I own and want to own, than there are on the Wii. I feel the Wii is not fulfilling its true potential and that this is primarily the fault of Nintendo, who is putting out cheaper games, and are content with it because they still sell. Instead of using revenue to create new development, buy up second parties, fund indie projects, moneyhat 3rd party games, they produce games with minimal upgrades like Animal Crossing and minimal cost like WiiMusic. It is a sign of their laziness that the small indie projects are more attractive to me than the games they have brought out over the last year (minus smash bros), even though the experience, money and time to create epics and truly revolutionary games.

And dazzy, that lightsaber thing was an honest question. Is there one coming next year I don't know about or are you just guessing.

Edit: Sorry Darky my boy, missed your post. Yeah we play timesplitters most of the time funnily enough. I'm just waiting for a multiplayer FPS with Wii controls (the good kind). It's so frustrating it hasn't happened yet.

I had both and sold the Wii version. Why?? Because it wasn't as good. Both are inferior to Fifa this time around anyway.

You saying you can't play Charlie's Angles for 15 minutes and tell its a piece of shit? There's hidden quality, and there's just plain mediocre, and the gaming community seems to agree with me on the whole with Wii Music.

I am not going to go through Zack & Wiki doing all the puzzles again, because I know them already. Thus once i've completed it (which I haven't) I doubt i'll be playing it again.

So you have CoD4 and your still claim it has only 6 hours of gameplay? Really?

Let me do this again. I do not actively seek to dismiss game for shits and giggles. There are more games on the 360 I own and want to own, than there are on the Wii. I feel the Wii is not fulfilling its true potential and that this is primarily the fault of Nintendo, who is putting out cheaper games, and are content with it because they still sell. Instead of using revenue to create new development, buy up second parties, fund indie projects, moneyhat 3rd party games, they produce games with minimal upgrades like Animal Crossing and minimal cost like WiiMusic. It is a sign of their laziness that the small indie projects are more attractive to me than the games they have brought out over the last year (minus smash bros), even though the experience, money and time to create epics and truly revolutionary games.

And dazzy, that lightsaber thing was an honest question. Is there one coming next year I don't know about or are you just guessing.

Okay, fair enough. I have Fifa PS3 (bought the WIi version first which was shit :) ) and honestly I think it's a pale version of football compared to Pro Evo Wii which I think its the greatest football game I have ever played. And I've been playing them Since the spectrum :) But clearly, this is subjective...

The puzzles in Zack and Wicki are different puzzles to the game, it's not repeating them. When you finish it you go back into the levels and have to different things to unlock stuff. You get hints from the map guy. It's great and adds a lot of replayability.

CoD4, yeah i know it has more than 6 hours overall; I meant the one player campaign. If you don't like online then the game is insultingly short.

As for your Wii Music 'gamers agree with me'. I strongly disagree with this. Everyone I know who hasn't played it hates it, everyone I know who owns the game or has played it for 16 mins or more (:P) loves the game. The drumming alone is absolutely incredible. I don't know anyone who has given it a chance and doesn't like it. Go on the thread in this board, all the owners love it, go on IGN, go on ONM, Gamesradar.

Lightsaber game. No nothing confirmed, though I would put a LOT of money on there being one announced in the new year. Though Force Unleashed is a great game, and yes, better than the 360 version. The controls are great!!

Edit: Sorry Darky my boy, missed your post. Yeah we play timesplitters most of the time funnily enough. I'm just waiting for a multiplayer FPS with Wii controls (the good kind). It's so frustrating it hasn't happened yet.

Have you played Medal of Honour? Controls are amazing and good online. Call of Duty has brilliant controls (not quite as good) and an excellent online mode.

Okay, fair enough. I have Fifa PS3 (bought the WIi version first which was shit :) ) and honestly I think it's a pale version of football compared to Pro Evo Wii which I think its the greatest football game I have ever played. And I've been playing them Since the spectrum :) But clearly, this is subjective...

The puzzles in Zack and Wicki are different puzzles to the game, it's not repeating them. When you finish it you go back into the levels and have to different things to unlock stuff. You get hints from the map guy. It's great and adds a lot of replayability.

CoD4, yeah i know it has more than 6 hours overall; I meant the one player campaign. If you don't like online then the game is insultingly short.

As for your Wii Music 'gamers agree with me'. I strongly disagree with this. Everyone I know who hasn't played it hates it, everyone I know who owns the game or has played it for 16 mins or more (:P) loves the game. The drumming alone is absolutely incredible. I don't know anyone who has given it a chance and doesn't like it. Go on the thread in this board, all the owners love it, go on IGN, go on ONM, Gamesradar.

Lightsaber game. No nothing confirmed, though I would put a LOT of money on there being one announced in the new year. Though Force Unleashed is a great game, and yes, better than the 360 version. The controls are great!!

Have you played Medal of Honour? Controls are amazing and good online. Call of Duty has brilliant controls (not quite as good) and an excellent online mode.

Err what to address here. Fifa/pro evo yeah subjective. CoD4 even fun without online for me. One of those great games you want to complete on every difficulty. I was more talking about reviews with WiiMusic. Still waiting for my lightsaber. And yeah MoH is good but I need offline multiplayer. There you go, all wrapped up.

Nintendo has already released a large portion of their AAA catalog, do you really expect a Zelda every 2 years? If so your the only one. It's not soley Nintendos fault that your left unhappy, 3rd parties are also on the Wii, most are sadly shovelware, but there undoubtably good games by the 3rd parties. Just less of whats on the other consoles.

I love this idea that having played games for 15 years you can automatically understand it in 15 mins. I've been playing for slightly longer than that, about 16 years, and even I can be surprised by games these days. I've bought many Wii games being very pessimistic about them thinking I won't like what I play. And occassionally upon starting a game I don't like what I see. Super Mario Galaxy comes to mind. On initial thoughts of it, I wasn't very impressed. But you can't create an opinion of a game from a 30 minute session. So I soldiered on and found the game that everyone loves. Just took me awhile to find it.

I'm sure there are games that you can stick on and in 15 minutes you'll know exactly what it's like, Fifa comes to mind (and yes I'm Fifa bashing because personally I don't really like football and it's just an update every year with a few extras so I'd know exactly how it'd be in my eyes after a couple of minutes).

And doesn't Medal of Honor Heroes 2 have offline multiplayer? I don't exactly remember as I no longer have the game, but intend to get hold of it again shortly.

Not to mention Wii Music is far from lazy. Just because it doesn't have jaw dropping graphics and amazing quality, the idea and implementation is fantastic, no doubt a lot of work went into it.

And taking the part for the whole is also fun, just because AC is a small increment, you ignore the other games, which are far from cheap, rushed, cash in games. Indie games? Go look at WiiWare. 2nd parties? Monolith. Seccuring 3rd party games? S&P2, MH3, Fatal Frame 4 and Tenchu.

Your posts go in the total opposite direction of your "Seal of Approval" and if your Wii's in the cupboard, yes it is your fault, because there are loads of good games and I don't say you're dismissing them for shits and giggles but you're still dismissing them without barely trying them. Trying Charlies Angels 2 or trying games made by great developers are different things.

I love this idea that having played games for 15 years you can automatically understand it in 15 mins. I've been playing for slightly longer than that, about 16 years, and even I can be surprised by games these days.

It's hailarious isn't it? I'm 10 years older than lazyboy, does that mean I can figure out a game in 5 minutes!?!?

OK first confessions, I only read three quarters of the article, and I've skipped all the fanboyish rants.

So to answer the initial question

Has Wii lost his hardcore gamer?

In my opinion, it's lost one hardcore gamer. Considering I can only speak for myself, that's all I will do.

The Wii doesn't grip me anymore, I just can't play it for too long. Games are sluggishly built with poor levels of effort, time and money gone into them. They either lack originality or try to be too original and deviate from well known techniques and patterns. One of my favourite Wii games would be Fire Emblem, purely because they didn't add any ridiculous controls to it. In a horrible irony I've not even completed it, I can't answer why I just don't feel compelled to finish it.

And who ever intends to buy Rock Band on the Wii is a fool.

Nintendo has already released a large portion of their AAA catalog, do you really expect a Zelda every 2 years? If so your the only one. It's not soley Nintendos fault that your left unhappy, 3rd parties are also on the Wii, most are sadly shovelware, but there undoubtably good games by the 3rd parties. Just less of whats on the other consoles.

Every 2 years? No. Every generation? Yes. A wait for 6 years between two major Zelda incarnations? Not cool. 4 years maybe wouldn't have been so bad, but even then, what pissed me off so fucking much is the false promise of the game. How early was TP announced, and promised! GUARANTEED for release, then delayed? Over and over. It's not even a fucking Wii game, it's a GC port. You know what makes it all worse? It's a shit Zelda game. Mind, I'm not saying it's a shit game, just a shitty shitty Zelda. It's rather lacking in the magic and charm that makes a Zelda game what it is, imo. I say imo, cos I know eventually it comes down to a matter of opinion, and know that one of you fools are gonna bust that out to try and cover your insistently blind asses. It's a good game, it's a shit Zelda.

Then there's Galaxy. Whilst being a nice game, a kind of pretty game too, what did it really do? Where's the innovation in it, what new did it bring to the table? It's a poor man's 64. I say this, firstly because it is, but secondly because it annoyed me immensely. Here's why I liked 64;

-A good hub world, realisitcally set in a castle with enchanted/magic paintings.

-Freedom of movement. One brilliant thing about SM64 was the freedom and challenge in it, the stars weren't always obvious to find, but also there was nothing better than questing for one star...and accidentally getting another! They shat all over this in Sunshine, and made it even worse in Galaxy, it's such a linear game I just cannot believe. Even the original wasn't so damn linear thanks to the warp zones and little secrets, and the main concept of that game was to run in a straight bloody line, doing the same thing over and over!

-Secret stars! Actually being kind of secret...for longer than 5 seconds before the game points it out to you.

Basically, my issue seems to stem from linearity. Why do I believe these two games were rather linear? To hold the hands of the new casual market, to walk them through it all, in a nice, easy, straight line. Also, I don't know what it is, but in older games(zeldas, marios) I actually DIED sometimes, I seem to die alot less in the newer ones. No, it isn't cos I was a tarded child, I still die when I go back and play them now(though less so in the Zeldas). I've been saying it since both came out, and your almighty god Shigsy himself has even said it now. They just did not live up to what they could have been.

Maybe relevant, maybe not, but I'm gonna throw it out there for people to try(no need to come telling me your results). Grab a piece of paper and write down your top 10 favourite titles from the N64. Now, open wikipedia up and look up each game. Count how many are Rare made, it's probably 4 or more.

So to address the original question, has the wii/nintendo lost the hardcore gamer? Well, it depends on the definition of such a term, as people have astutely pointed out. I most like Marcamillian's definition as someone who loves games for being games, not just for having 'hardcore' content like GTA and some FPSs, though I think it still lacks something I can't quite place.

Personally, I bought my Wii on release in 2006. Whilst being happy with it at times, I've mostly been dissappointed since(well, until Brawl arrived, which shattered my expectations and bettered Melee in so many ways, a feat I actually thought impossible without large cost). I bought it on Nintendo's part performance and promise(a large part of which was franchises like Zelda and Mario), and I think they sold it to me on those too. However, they've totally failed to live up to them imo.

My biggest, primest, and most current example to support this? The fucking shoddy ass pisspoor 'effort' made with AC:CF(or LGttC, a stupider name). General online setup is a bit shoddy too, friend codes and all. I'm holding onto my Wii, which I've regretted buying sometimes since(though the price hasnt dropped so it's a silly regret), because I'm hoping they'll pull their fingers out of their asses, and also something decent out of the bag and blow me away again, as only they have managed to do before. My faith is small though, the biggest motivation is the tiny fanboy in me that won't ever sell my original consoles. I also expect more from a company than turned in excess of £2.5billion in PROFIT last year. What excuse is there for the lack of catering to my tastes with such monies, when they managed to do it before with so much less? Where is it all going to?!

My final hope is that they're saving, they're storing up, they're preparing for something epic, they're going to put it into making the most awesomest, badassest console ever, and wipe the floor with the competition. I guess I can only hope, though.

[/RAAAGE]

EDIT:And oh yeah, meant to ask, Brawl technically wasn't even developed/made by Nintendo, was it?

They've been focused on tapping the unexplored part of the market, obviously. With games like MP3, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros, Wario Land, etc, one would think that the "hardcore" share of the market would be already covered. And it is, actually.

Have car nuts got anything particularly memorable on the Wii? No. Have shooter nuts got anything particularly memorable on the Wii? No. Fighters? No. RTS? No.

Yes, there's plenty of games for the core audience. Problem is that there are more types of core gamers than casual gamers. Nintendo have broken new ground. Great! Now continue doing so by going into genres that are currently under-represented.

Was the game good? Was it polished? Properly tested to check for glitches? Was it translated into several languages?

You, of all people, should know that a rushed/bad game becomes a waste of time.

The game is "good" (not my genre). It has no, or very few glitches. And it's available in Swedish, English, German and French. BUT it was a casual-ish game. And these people had no experience beyond their education. If Nintendo create a new team, they can mix experienced, skilled people into the mix, they have resources the team I'm talking about quite simply didn't.

People seem to be out on a headhunt, where you seem to try to say we who disagree are wrong in everything we say. I'm not saying thet Nintendo should stop making casual games. Instead YOU keep repeating some narrow minded stuff. Like "I don't want to se a generic racer on the Wii", and "If you want a first person shooter, buy another console". I'm sorry to brake this to you all, but there are Wii gamers whom want these "relistic/generic" games as well. Nintendo should cater equally to everyone.

I'm quite shocked that I, now that Nintendo actually are on top, I for the first time have to buy a second format to complement my Wii. This has never happened before, even during the bad years of the N64 and Gamecube.

Every 2 years? No. Every generation? Yes. A wait for 6 years between two major Zelda incarnations? Not cool. 4 years maybe wouldn't have been so bad, but even then, what pissed me off so fucking much is the false promise of the game. How early was TP announced, and promised! GUARANTEED for release, then delayed? Over and over. It's not even a fucking Wii game, it's a GC port. You know what makes it all worse? It's a shit Zelda game. Mind, I'm not saying it's a shit game, just a shitty shitty Zelda. It's rather lacking in the magic and charm that makes a Zelda game what it is, imo. I say imo, cos I know eventually it comes down to a matter of opinion, and know that one of you fools are gonna bust that out to try and cover your insistently blind asses. It's a good game, it's a shit Zelda.

Then there's Galaxy. Whilst being a nice game, a kind of pretty game too, what did it really do? Where's the innovation in it, what new did it bring to the table? It's a poor man's 64. I say this, firstly because it is, but secondly because it annoyed me immensely. Here's why I liked 64;

-A good hub world, realisitcally set in a castle with enchanted/magic paintings.

-Freedom of movement. One brilliant thing about SM64 was the freedom and challenge in it, the stars weren't always obvious to find, but also there was nothing better than questing for one star...and accidentally getting another! They shat all over this in Sunshine, and made it even worse in Galaxy, it's such a linear game I just cannot believe. Even the original wasn't so damn linear thanks to the warp zones and little secrets, and the main concept of that game was to run in a straight bloody line, doing the same thing over and over!

-Secret stars! Actually being kind of secret...for longer than 5 seconds before the game points it out to you.

Basically, my issue seems to stem from linearity. Why do I believe these two games were rather linear? To hold the hands of the new casual market, to walk them through it all, in a nice, easy, straight line. Also, I don't know what it is, but in older games(zeldas, marios) I actually DIED sometimes, I seem to die alot less in the newer ones. No, it isn't cos I was a tarded child, I still die when I go back and play them now(though less so in the Zeldas). I've been saying it since both came out, and your almighty god Shigsy himself has even said it now. They just did not live up to what they could have been.

Maybe relevant, maybe not, but I'm gonna throw it out there for people to try(no need to come telling me your results). Grab a piece of paper and write down your top 10 favourite titles from the N64. Now, open wikipedia up and look up each game. Count how many are Rare made, it's probably 4 or more.

So to address the original question, has the wii/nintendo lost the hardcore gamer? Well, it depends on the definition of such a term, as people have astutely pointed out. I most like Marcamillian's definition as someone who loves games for being games, not just for having 'hardcore' content like GTA and some FPSs, though I think it still lacks something I can't quite place.

Personally, I bought my Wii on release in 2006. Whilst being happy with it at times, I've mostly been dissappointed since(well, until Brawl arrived, which shattered my expectations and bettered Melee in so many ways, a feat I actually thought impossible without large cost). I bought it on Nintendo's part performance and promise(a large part of which was franchises like Zelda and Mario), and I think they sold it to me on those too. However, they've totally failed to live up to them imo.

My biggest, primest, and most current example to support this? The fucking shoddy ass pisspoor 'effort' made with AC:CF(or LGttC, a stupider name). General online setup is a bit shoddy too, friend codes and all. I'm holding onto my Wii, which I've regretted buying sometimes since(though the price hasnt dropped so it's a silly regret), because I'm hoping they'll pull their fingers out of their asses, and also something decent out of the bag and blow me away again, as only they have managed to do before. My faith is small though, the biggest motivation is the tiny fanboy in me that won't ever sell my original consoles. I also expect more from a company than turned in excess of £2.5billion in PROFIT last year. What excuse is there for the lack of catering to my tastes with such monies, when they managed to do it before with so much less? Where is it all going to?!

My final hope is that they're saving, they're storing up, they're preparing for something epic, they're going to put it into making the most awesomest, badassest console ever, and wipe the floor with the competition. I guess I can only hope, though.

[/RAAAGE]

EDIT:And oh yeah, meant to ask, Brawl technically wasn't even developed/made by Nintendo, was it?

Good post. But again, I just can't agree with it; you complain of the delays of Twilight Princess; do you NOT remember the delays for Ocarina? A lot worse! It just sounds like you built up too high expectations of these games; which is bound to happen, though i did as well and I would put both of them probably my favourite games of all time. And your question on what does Galaxy do differently is just....bizarre; the level design and the gravity are two pretty huge shifts in gameplay for mario and platformers in general.

I would love to know what 360 PS3 games that is so revolutionary for the industry.

And I don't understand your Rare point, they made great games on the N64 and have been distinctly average/poor ever since. I don't get what point your making.

Have car nuts got anything particularly memorable on the Wii? No. Have shooter nuts got anything particularly memorable on the Wii? No. Fighters? No. RTS? No.

Yes, there's plenty of games for the core audience. Problem is that there are more types of core gamers than casual gamers. Nintendo have broken new ground. Great! Now continue doing so by going into genres that are currently under-represented.

The game is "good" (not my genre). It has no, or very few glitches. And it's available in Swedish, English, German and French. BUT it was a casual-ish game. And these people had no experience beyond their education. If Nintendo create a new team, they can mix experienced, skilled people into the mix, they have resources the team I'm talking about quite simply didn't.

People seem to be out on a headhunt, where you seem to try to say we who disagree are wrong in everything we say. I'm not saying thet Nintendo should stop making casual games. Instead YOU keep repeating some narrow minded stuff. Like "I don't want to se a generic racer on the Wii", and "If you want a first person shooter, buy another console". I'm sorry to brake this to you all, but there are Wii gamers whom want these "relistic/generic" games as well. Nintendo should cater equally to everyone.

I'm quite shocked that I, now that Nintendo actually are on top, I for the first time have to buy a second format to complement my Wii. This has never happened before, even during the bad years of the N64 and Gamecube.

To be fair this is just a debate isn't it. Someone has an opinion, you either agree or disagree and exress so accordingly; they reply, they reply, they reply etc etc.

And it's all perspective, but racer nut - Mario Kart and Excite Truck? Or do you mean simulation? Okay, I'll give you that. But are you saying proper gamers like GT and casual players like Mario Kart? FPS? Metroid, Call of Duty, Medal of Honour? RTS? Batalion Wars? Although 6 months ago what did the others have? And Pikmin will be out this year :) Fighters? Is Soul Calibur 4 more worthy than Smash Bros? If so why? And I bet Mortal Kombat wii is better than DC Vs MK. And have you played Guilt Gear? You couldn't get more 'core". But then that doesn't support your argument, so I'm sure you'll quickly dismiss this :P

It really is bizarre; some people here seem to feel like they're core, and then try and claim that certain games are more core than others. This is how I see it:

- Look at all three consoles; which has the games that appeal most to you? Be happy with it.

- The Wii has an "image" amongst core gamers, and the bitch about it, but not having played hardly any of the games. Not giving it a chance. But the image isn't right so they dismiss it as having no software, which is complete bullshit. Not everyone, but some.

To be fair this is just a debate isn't it. Someone has an opinion, you either agree or disagree and exress so accordingly; they reply, they reply, they reply etc etc.

The thing is that I respect that there are people whom actually do like the casual games. When I write something, people bash my taste for games. I mean, just a few days back I got the comment "Do we really need a realistic racer for the Wii". Comments like that just brings my piss to a boil, as they first say I'm narrow minded, and then come up the most narrow minded comment of all. Sort of imigrants who say how they're being discriminated, and then shout "fucking swede" whenever they see a swede.

And it's all perspective, but racer nut - Mario Kart and Excite Truck? Or do you mean simulation? Okay, I'll give you that. But are you saying proper gamers like GT and casual players like Mario Kart? FPS? Metroid, Call of Duty, Medal of Honour? RTS? Batalion Wars? Although 6 months ago what did the others have? And Pikmin will be out this year :) Fighters? Is Soul Calibur 4 more worthy than Smash Bros? If so why? And I bet Mortal Kombat wii is better than DC Vs MK. And have you played Guilt Gear? You couldn't get more 'core". But then that doesn't support your argument, so I'm sure you'll quickly dismiss this :P

I'm not saying that casuals like one type of game and cores like different. I'm saying that the Wii IS THE ONLY console since the Dreamcast (bar Gamecube) that doesent have a worthy answer to GT. This should not even be considered acceptable by the formost console and software company on the face of the planet. That's a problem that Nintendo fans have been complaining about since the N64-days, and it's been less excusable for every generation.

There is a demographic of gamers who do want these realistic games on the Wii.

MK Wii better than MK vs DC? MK Wii got poor reviews because it barelly was playable. Smash Bros isn't exactly a fighter in the traditional sense of the term. That leaves us with ONE solid fighter. And my friend who owns Guilty Gear on the Wii says it's slowed down when compared to other versions. The new Streetfighter might fix this.

The first person shooters have quite low quality. CoD lacks the Zombie mode (one of the most loved features in the game) on the Wii, MoH is a PSP game with bloom and Wiimote support. And MP3 isn't an FPS. I'd love to see an FPS based on the MP3 engine. The Conduit is promising.

It really is bizarre; some people here seem to feel like they're core, and then try and claim that certain games are more core than others. This is how I see it:

- Look at all three consoles; which has the games that appeal most to you? Be happy with it.

- The Wii has an "image" amongst core gamers, and the bitch about it, but not having played hardly any of the games. Not giving it a chance. But the image isn't right so they dismiss it as having no software, which is complete bullshit. Not everyone, but some.

Well, I have a Wii, and like I've said, the Wii will probably stand for most of my gaming, even after I'll buy a 360. But I want the Wii to be so good, I won't have to buy any other format.

The thing is that I respect that there are people whom actually do like the casual games. When I write something, people bash my taste for games. I mean, just a few days back I got the comment "Do we really need a realistic racer for the Wii". Comments like that just brings my piss to a boil, as they first say I'm narrow minded, and then come up the most narrow minded comment of all. Sort of imigrants who say how they're being discriminated, and then shout "fucking swede" whenever they see a swede.

I'm not saying that casuals like one type of game and cores like different. I'm saying that the Wii IS THE ONLY console since the Dreamcast (bar Gamecube) that doesent have a worthy answer to GT. This should not even be considered acceptable by the formost console and software company on the face of the planet. That's a problem that Nintendo fans have been complaining about since the N64-days, and it's been less excusable for every generation.

There is a demographic of gamers who do want these realistic games on the Wii.

MK Wii better than MK vs DC? MK Wii got poor reviews because it barelly was playable. Smash Bros isn't exactly a fighter in the traditional sense of the term. That leaves us with ONE solid fighter. And my friend who owns Guilty Gear on the Wii says it's slowed down when compared to other versions. The new Streetfighter might fix this.

The first person shooters have quite low quality. CoD lacks the Zombie mode (one of the most loved features in the game) on the Wii, MoH is a PSP game with bloom and Wiimote support. And MP3 isn't an FPS. I'd love to see an FPS based on the MP3 engine. The Conduit is promising.

Well, I have a Wii, and like I've said, the Wii will probably stand for most of my gaming, even after I'll buy a 360. But I want the Wii to be so good, I won't have to buy any other format.

Firstly, how do you separate different bits of a quote?

I agree, people who say we don't need this is wrong. Personally, I would never buy a realistic (non F1) game, I got PGR3 free with 360, hate it and really don't like them. BUT I see there worth and would love one on the wii. Same with GTA, I personally think they're the most overrated games in the world; but I'd still love a Wii version.

MK Wii - http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/mortalkombatarmageddon?q=mortal%20kombat

MK vs DC - http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/mortalkombatvsdcuniverse?q=MK%20vs%20DC

After more reviews they'll end up very similar, and also the MK Vs DC has two retarded reviews thrown in 100% and 95%!!! Anyways, they're pretty comparable. I have MK Wii and its a very good game, don't listen to the naysayers :) I also have Guilty Gear and the game is incredible, your friends smoke too much pot.

As for FPS. I don;t care MoH is a PSP game, its bloody good, the controls are just incredible and make what is an okay game very good, the controls are that good! CoD is also brilliant, yes it is missing some modes, but it's great, I prefer it to the 360 version, again, purely because of the controls!!! And Metroid, I understand the FPA thing, but it IS a FPS, it's a bit anal to say it's not. "Well technically it's a FPA......" It's in FP and you shoot.....a hell of a lot. There's a lot of adventuring, but there's also a lot of shooting!!

And in our house we have 2 360s and a PS3 and the WIi provides 98% of my gaming :)

In response to the original question, "has Wii lost the hardcore gamer?" My answer is, probably. I am by no means a hardcore gamer but I've turned to my 360 this year. I have thoroughly enjoyed what it's had on offer and haven't turned my wii on in months, bar getting Animal Crossing last week.

Nintendo are pushing to much towards the casual gamer now. I hold little interest in many of thier games, same with my friends. They are leaving their original audience behind but the games industry is about money at the end of the day and let's face it the Wii prints it with the approach they have. Originality is slowly appearing on the PS3/360 with things like Mirrors Edge and BK: N&B and it's only a matter of time before Nintendo Fanboy's leave the Wii behind. Wii Fit, the new Animal Crossing and Wii Music have confirmed for me personally that I need to look elsewhere for gaming that suits my needs. All 3 were poor excuses for videogames in thier own ways. In my opinion nintendo are finished with me.

And personally a 20 hour adventure with more original design then most NEXT GEN games is good enough for me.

My favourite bit of this thread. That's exactly how I feel.

...compared to Pro Evo Wii which I think its the greatest football game I have ever played. And I've been playing them Since the spectrum :)

Are you kidding? Better than Match Day?

[ATTACH]2379[/ATTACH]

I dare say Pro Evo on Wii is better than Match Day. :heh: (You could have left that screenshot unnamed and sparked a return to popularity of the name that game thread!)

I keep thinking about bumping that thread. Watch this space. Well, that space. Over there. In the Retro board. Yes.

To answer the original question, to be fair the Wii hasn't exactly lost the hardcore gamer. Yes, some have sold their Wii console and moved onto the 360 or PS3 consoles exclusively, others still have the consoles just gathering dust in the corner somewhere while the other consoles get more attention.

Other gamers, like myself who is classed as Core own both a Wii and 360 and/or PS3. This is to get the best of both worlds as it were. There is nothing like being able to buy say Animal Crossing and Fallout 3 for both consoles while others can only buy one or the other as they have one console and miss out on the other title. There are great games out for the Wii at the moment, ok so titles like Wii-music may not appeal to all same goes for the party-style games, but there are people out there who do like these titles thus buying them and increasing Wii sales. These titles like Wii music, Wii Sports and Wii-fit are innovative and great titles to play. I for one play Wii sports as a break from the realism of games like GoW and Fallout 3.

3rd parties don't release AAA titles on the Wii because of the sales of these party style games i believe. They released titles like Hitman on the GC to a poor reception, so these sort of games don't get released on the Wii because they believe that these titles will not sell well at all, thus causing a loss to them. Ubisoft are one for not releasing top titles on the Wii, after all it is this company who release a port of Two Thrones with new controls, call it a different name and expect people to think it is a new game. If gamers bought AAA 3rd party games on the Wii that are already out now, this might make these developers think twice before releasing say a new "party" or "mini-game" style title. We may see titles like Fallout 3 come out for Wii.

Even Ninty can't release non-ports to the Wii. Twilight Princess was made for the GC, so it had GC style graphics and GC style everything to it. It was ported over with new controls and a 16:9 aspect ratio screen display etc. And what are they doing now, re-releasing more GC games with Wii controls and probably going to sell them for high prices. I don't think most gamers will buy these titles, unless they don't already own them on the GC already. Or if they did own them, may buy them again for the experience or something like that.

Ninty have a great console out there, but the control style is so simple that even an OAP can pick it up and play. That is roughly what Shigsy and Ninty said themselves i believe. This generation is mainly for the casual gamers or for people who don't do gaming as it were and some of it is for the core/hardcore gamer to keep them "with it" as it were.

Yes, the Wii has a lot of party games out there., but it also has great titles like Mario Kart, Brawl, Wario Land, Galaxy, Sonic, Red Steel already out there. And the ability to download and play more classics via Virtual Console

Sorry for the rant, but i for one am keeping the Wii because i know one day there will be titles for the Wii that even the core/hardcore gamer will want to play. Believe that.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!