N-Europe

PS3 or Xbox for Christmas? Help!

Jackster

That would be the point if you were trying to match your Xbox with your PS3 but the point of buying one console over the other is because they have different merits.

Totally agree, so what we can say is that if the OP wants a wireless online gaming machine that can also play Hi-Def films. It would be cheaper to buy a PS3. If he is not too bothered about online gaming and prefers watching his films on a DVD player, then buy an Xbox.

And if we are discussing the merits of both systems, lets discuss the faults.

RROD?

That would be the point if you were trying to match your Xbox with your PS3 but the point of buying one console over the other is because they have different merits.

Exactly.

TBh though you can get a 360 with 2/3 games for under £200 pretty easily nowadays. It's a great bargain.

Why buy a HD-DVD drive? Its a dead format...

More to the point, why by an Elite? The PS3 has an 80GB HDD so the competing Xbox is the one with the 120GB rather than the 60GB?

To be honest you could source all that kit a lot cheaper than the best PS3 bundle around at the moment. Ignoring console bundles;

Xbox 360 Pro: £170

Wireless Adaptor with 12 months Live: £70 (Currys

HD-DVD Drive: Difficult to find, but £30 in PC World and Argos or £20 with 4 HD-DVDs in Gamestation, just a case of tracking them down.

Total: £260-£270

I ignored console bundles because 360 and PS3 deals are pretty comparable at the moment. You can easily get either one with a new release and an older game for RRP without shopping around too hard. I've seen plenty deals for both that are better than that too.

Anyhow, the argument is moot. The 360 has so many different add-ons because it's all about paying for what you need. Don't want to install games to the hard drive? Buy a good Arcade bundle and a cheap 20GB HDD (been as low as £15 lately). Don't need wireless? Don't buy it. Live? Same again. Even if you want it all it's still a fairly decent price.

The real selling point of a system is the games though, you buy the one that has the titles that appeal to you, not whichever one is "cheaper".

Totally agree, so what we can say is that if the OP wants a wireless online gaming machine that can also play Hi-Def films. It would be cheaper to buy a PS3. If he is not too bothered about online gaming and prefers watching his films on a DVD player, then buy an Xbox.

RROD?

RROD is bad but has been made less painless (which of course could be argued that it´s a problem that never should have been there) with extended warranty, less failure rate and all the usual blah we have all heard about before.

But talking faults is not much I can go on about when it comes to the PS3 seeing as I don´t have one and the only thing I would be doing is trying to peg something I don´t own or have much experience with which would make my point a bit void.

Xbox Live is a better service than PSN, but not much.

Also, lets look at the cost involved.....

Playstation

PS3 80Gig = £299.99

Total = £299.99

Equivelent Xbox

Elite Console = £219.99

Wireless Adapter = £54.99

HD-DVD Drive = £49.89

12 Months Subscription to Live = £34.99

Total = £359.86

is this a joke?! this is such a biased view and made the best you can to make it favour the ps3. Like adding wireless adapter which isnt needed and hd-dvd what the hell :blank:

as for RROD - my is currently away on FREE repairs and will be back to me exactly 12 days after the console started getting RROD. When i rung up customer service...UPS came the NEXT DAY to pick it up and now on the ups site it says im getting it back on monday.

So i see it as hardly a problem i can go without it for 12 days it was a FREE repair...sure its known for being unreliable but as long as my repair is free i dont care.

Changed my mind. Get an Xbox.

My PS3 just broke, AGAIN.

Aww Daft that sucks :( seems that both systems have their issues, so much more so than previous generations too, my Wii has never gone wrong but thats besides the point :heh: sometimes I miss the simplicity of the 16-bit era... at least consoles lasted you a lifetime back then. :blank:

Anyways as for the thread question, I'd still go with getting the 360 fixed and getting a PS3 for Christmas, best of both worlds. : peace:

I'm sorry but Dantes post for the PS3 Exclusives and games wasn't that great, here are the games I chose Playstation for:

Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm, Yakuza 3, Infamous, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Wipeout, Tekken 6, MAG, Singstar. (Tekken 6 is shamefully multiplatform now )

Then there's the multiplatform games that I really want and may already have which include: Call of Duty, BioShock, Resident Evil 5, Timesplitters 4, Fallout 3.

Plus tonnes of other PSN games.

And Dyson please don't say that you aren't at all interested in Resistance 2, because it would be a joke.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZcjZdbZnC0&feature=related

Personally I love the look at both games and it would be ridiculous to ignore one of those 2.

More to the point, why by an Elite? The PS3 has an 80GB HDD so the competing Xbox is the one with the 120GB rather than the 60GB?

To be honest you could source all that kit a lot cheaper than the best PS3 bundle around at the moment. Ignoring console bundles;

Xbox 360 Pro: £170

Wireless Adaptor with 12 months Live: £70 (Currys

HD-DVD Drive: Difficult to find, but £30 in PC World and Argos or £20 with 4 HD-DVDs in Gamestation, just a case of tracking them down.

Total: £260-£270

I ignored console bundles because 360 and PS3 deals are pretty comparable at the moment. You can easily get either one with a new release and an older game for RRP without shopping around too hard. I've seen plenty deals for both that are better than that too.

Anyhow, the argument is moot. The 360 has so many different add-ons because it's all about paying for what you need. Don't want to install games to the hard drive? Buy a good Arcade bundle and a cheap 20GB HDD (been as low as £15 lately). Don't need wireless? Don't buy it. Live? Same again. Even if you want it all it's still a fairly decent price.

The real selling point of a system is the games though, you buy the one that has the titles that appeal to you, not whichever one is "cheaper".

The best post of this thread. I have to say I am a big Xbox fan even though I do really like my PS3. I have 28 Xbox games and only 6 PS3 games. That number would be much higher if I didn't own an Xbox. I've bought a couple of exclusive games for it but at the end of the day the only real reason I had to buy the games on PS3 was the noise the Xbox made and that's been solved with the NXE update.

RROD?

Woah, PS3 fanboy much? Looks like you just jumped into defense mode. A lot of people buy their console for games and couldn't care less about playing films. Even then, there's more films available in HD on Xbox marketplace if people wanted that kind of thing.

The RROD issue - MS will fix it for quite a while after it's bought, so let's stick to the games worthwhile on each system, ok?

Elite Console = £219.99

Wireless Adapter = £54.99

HD-DVD Drive = £49.89

Total = £359.86

Premium Console = £134.00

Total = £168.99

Sure, you can make your 360 as expensive as a PS3 if you want. However to get online and start gaming, all you need is this. Quite a significant amount less than your bullshit £360 total. Not to mention the countless amount of bundles out there that include games and Xbox Live subscriptions etc.

And yes, I'm aware you said it was the equivalent. But that's assuming someone wants to, why bother making it equivalent when it's unnecessary to do so?

RROD?

Also I found this pretty funny, lol

'lolololol omfg RROD lol M$$$$$$$ rofl fail'. The RROD argument is stupid, i know more 360 owners than PS3 owners yet i have heard more stories from PS3 owners of problems than 360 owners, and we all know that MS do a lot better at sorting any problems out. As soon as PS3 fans mention RROD in a console argument, they're already losing.

As for live, go to ebay. You can get 13 months of xbox live for £28.50, that works out at just under £2.20 a month. I consider that bargin of the century considering the amount of use and enjoyment i get out of the service, and i'm more than happy to pay that to ensure XBL stays better than PSN.

And don't start with the Blu-ray player bs. If i wanted a Blu-ray player, i would of bought one. I bought my 360 to be what it is, a games console.

well, ive heard more tales of xbox rrod then playstation failure, indeed, i think i read some were it was a hardy peice not prone to failure. didnt stop mine going shit biscuites mind.

as for ps vs xbox online, i havent really seen much of a difference, gameplay wise. played alot of call of duty 4 and couldnt make a single complaint about anything.

'lolololol omfg RROD lol M$$$$$$$ rofl fail'. The RROD argument is stupid, i know more 360 owners than PS3 owners yet i have heard more stories from PS3 owners of problems than 360 owners, and we all know that MS do a lot better at sorting any problems out. As soon as PS3 fans mention RROD in a console argument, they're already losing.

Not at all. the RROD issues were because of design faults. Trying to ignore RROD is foolish. Nothing is 100% bullet proof but PS3 has earned a good reputation in comparison.

As for live, go to ebay. You can get 13 months of xbox live for £28.50, that works out at just under £2.20 a month. I consider that bargin of the century considering the amount of use and enjoyment i get out of the service, and i'm more than happy to pay that to ensure XBL stays better than PSN.

And don't start with the Blu-ray player bs. If i wanted a Blu-ray player, i would of bought one. I bought my 360 to be what it is, a games console.

The cost of Live will always accumulate. Its a subscription. Accessories for going wireless, more space etc. are very costly. All these costs add up. Its never going to be as advanced, ready and full featured as PS3.

Blu Ray for me is a good reason to have a HD tv, especially a 1080p set. Sky HD and downloads deliver very compressed HD since they are bandwidth limited. Blu ray stands far and away as the best picture and sound. Ofcourse its attractive. :smile:

My point is that sure the xbox might fill your basic needs 'enough' and many more feel Wii does too instea dof 360 or PS3, but there are plenty that feel a PS3 suits their needs because they want all the stuff the Wii and 360 cant do, or do as well.

Hope that makes sense.

Thats like the first time i ever heard of a PS3 go bust second time on the internet lol. Hope it gets sorted.

XBOX 360 VS PS3 : non-biased version.

Xbox360

Advantages

1. Cheaper.

2. Bigger selection of games.

3. Bigger install base = more people to play online.

4. Xna game development.

5. Richer, more diverse online experience (debatable).

6. Lead platform for game developent on most multiplatform games.

7. Better controller (debatable).

8. Better, more elaborate ways to measure your e-penis.

disadvantages

1. Need wireless card addon to use wireless router (don't know if you need any addons to use a wired connection???).

2. Hasn't got as much raw power as the PS3.

3. Can't play Blu-ray discs.

4. HD-DVD addon is pretty much pointless now.

5. You have to pay to play online.

6. More people to play online against = more possibilities for you to get called a 'faggot'.

PS3

Advantages

1. Is more powerful than 360 but at this moment in time, it doesn't seem to make any difference as most multiplatform games are developed on 360 first.

2. Obviously the Blu-ray player.

3. Has some extremly good, unmissable exclusive games (debatable).

4. Looks better (debatable).

5. Supports more video formats than 360.

6. No extra costs to play online (connect straight out of the box).

7. Has the biggest potential for growth.

8. 10 year plan (debatable).

9. More reliable aka won't break as easily.

disadvantages

1. Smaller selection of games.

2. Very expensive.

3. Less support from developers compared to 360. Altough the support it has got is very good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I think that about does it. If I was wrong on something, tell me or if you want me to add something.

Elite Console = £219.99 for 120gb OR £170 for 60gb + Free games usually on both

Wireless Adapter = £55

12 Months Subscription to Live = £20 (ebay)

Total = £295/245

:D sry im an 'Xbot'.

The way i'd pick which console to buy if i didnt already have, would be to get whichever my mates have got, ther the ones your gonna be playin with online, you dont wanna be the loner with a diff console do ya.

Thats like the first time i ever heard of a PS3 go bust second time on the internet lol. Hope it gets sorted.

You and me both...at least both times it broke was within the one year warranty...

...actually it's broken twice in its first seven months.

I've had 5 broken 360s yet my launch 60GB PS3 has never given me a single issue. Also, I've heard the turnaround on being sent a replacement PS3 can be as little as a day or two, whereas I've had to wait almost a month for Microsoft to send my machine back. So as you can see, personal experiences can vary wildly.

Anyway, Jackster had to make a decision by lunchtime on Friday so really this thread has just become an excuse for head-in-hands console bashing. The reality is that both consoles are good with some great exclusives both out and in the pipeline, but for the majority of people there isn't much point to owning both as they are largely very similar. You can't go too far wrong with either, so it's really just a question of what games you're looking forward to, which system your friends own, and possibly which machine you can actually afford.