Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Ross and Brand suspended...

Molly

Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross have been suspended from the BBC over prank calls they made to Andrew Sachs (Fawlty Towers) on their radio 2 show. In the calls they joked that Brand had slept with Sachs granddaughter (a burlesque performer) along with other provocative comments and lurid language. 18 000 people have complained to the BBC and the presenters have been condemned by Gordon Brown himself.

I was just reading some interesting comments in the Times about it, saying how Britain has an open minded sense of humour, but at the end of the day it depends on who the subject is. Jokes about race are not tolerated, but many people accept xenophobic jokes about the French or Polish for example. It does seem that people can be extremely hypocritical about what they find acceptable or offensive.

I'm not saying it wasn't out of order, but I think part of the reason for the uproar is because of the subject, it's Andrew Sachs, a lovable character from a popular TV show. Would it be different if it was someone else? Or are people more annoyed at the rude/obscene nature of the comments? Anywho I like Friday Night with Jonathan Ross so I hope they don't get sacked!

Any thoughts on this??

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh dear. I read the news story a few days ago but didn't think they'd actually get suspended for it...radio stations always do prank calls; however, this one does seem like it went a little too far. That said, I havn't actually heard it, so can't judge whether it was the right or wrong choice.

Yeh I read this and I have to agree with the BBC over them being suspended as it was totally inappropriate for them to do. I don't know the exact circumstances of this but weren't they live on the air doing a radio show at the time or something like that? Either way, it's highly unprofessional for them to do it. Don't really mind if Russell Brand gets fired because I, personally, think his work is atrocious. Hopefully Jonathan Ross doesn't get fired as I enjoy his radio show and Friday Night with JR.

I can mostly enjoy Ross on his own show, and they'd never have the balls to sack him anyway.

The less said about Brand, the better.

But of the situation, I think it may have snowballed out of proportion slightly. 10,000 complaints to Ofcom smacks of old biddies making phonecalls for the sake of making phonecalls.

Having said that, the biggest cock in the cog machine is the producer of the radio show. It's his/her responsibility to have some proper control over what gets aired, and this "stunt" was pre-recorded 36 hours before it went out. If that's not some serious arse-faced bugger-up, I don't know what is. Oh, and I didn't actually hear the bit on the radio, but prank calls sound like the sort of cheap, schoolboy humour the twat-mouth Moyles does on satan.fm: Radio 1. I would have expected better from Radio 2.

First of all, it was really damn funny. If you actually listened to the show or podcasts without any preconceptions, yes, it was damn hilarious. WHY HAS THIS TAKEN A WEEK AND A HALF TO GET NOTICED? Because the people who are outraged now only know about it because of the news coverage, and if you didn't listen to the show, shouldn't be allowed to complain.

As far as I can see, this is a bunch of people who are jealous of Brand and Ross' success and money, or who personally dislike them. I don't like Lee Evans as a comedian, and Alan Carr bugs the hell out of me, but a lot of people like them, so I don't go around calling for them to be fired. (I know they didn't do anything wrong, but my point is that most people care more about personally disliking them than what they did wrong)

I'm not taking all the blame off Ross and Brand, but this is such an overreaction, people only jumped on this out of personal dislike for the 2.

If Andrew Sachs' agent had done any research whatsoever before greenlighting the interview, he would have know Brand mentioned about his granddaughter the previous week, and that, coupled with the tone of all of his other interviews makes it painfully obvious what was going to happen. If you don't like it, don't book your client on the show.

Taken out of proportion a bit methinks, the majority of the 10,000 people didn't even listen to the show given the fact that they only registered their complaints once it hit the news. Don't really care for Russell Brand, and Jonathan Ross is a stupid prick anyway so I'm not concerned.

Even if I don't listen to the show, and never will, I have the right to complain about it because I've read about it and I pay the license fee. If I don't want my fee to be used in that way I can complain.

It was an inappropriate call (who wants to hear some guys saying dirty stuff about your granddaughter on your answer machine?) so their should be consequences.

I would think it unfair if one of them got sacked and the other didn't. I hear lots of people championing Ross at work but wanting Brand sacked - that's not fair, if anything of what I've read is to be believed, Ross was the worse of the two.

Overreation much?

So ridiculous.

She's a fucking erotic dancer, in a group called Satanic Sluts! So she cannot be offended, basically.

The suicide bit...worse, but learn to get over shit. It wasn't like some random phoned you up and did that (genuinely threatening). It was two of the biggest TV personalities in the UK.

She's a fucking erotic dancer, in a group called Satanic Sluts! So she cannot be offended, basically.

You're right, she so deserves it. And girls who wear mini skirts are all gagging for it.

Anyways, the main furore is over the grandfather and his feelings, not hers (although I've also seen that written about).

I don't she's offended as such, it's more to do with the grandparent phoning and bragging.

The suicide bit...worse, but learn to get over shit.

Remember that for when we have another depression threat. S'what I normally say anyway.

It wasn't like some random phoned you up and did that (genuinely threatening). It was two of the biggest TV personalities in the UK.

You make it sound as if that makes a difference. Sachs listens and first thinks it's serious... "Hang about... I recognise that voice, let's listen again! Oh that Ross, he's such a kidder! I must offer him a glass of sherry when he visits on new years day"

who else could do an evening chat show with the BIG celebraties other than Ross? It is of national importance that he is kept on. (if he is sacked, i bet Friday night with jonathan ross will move in its entirity to channel 4.... i think this was rumoured a few months back. However, channel hopping shows always seem to fail)

in action

I have the right to complain about it because I've read about it and I pay the license fee. If I don't want my fee to be used in that way I can complain.

I don't want my fee to fund Reality TV shows that I despise, will never watch, and I think are the lowest form of entertainment, but I accept that not everyone agrees with me, and they get that part of my licence fee.

Again, I'm not saying what they did was right, but lets not forget she did actually sleep with him..

You're right, my previous dislike for them totally overwhelms my dislike for them ringing someone up and saying you plowed their grandaughter.

Not my point, most of the comments I've seen revolve around the fact people think they are overpaid anway, and the fact this has happened just gives them an excuse to jump on their backs.

You make it sound as if that makes a difference. Sachs listens and first thinks it's serious... "Hang about... I recognise that voice, let's listen again! Oh that Ross, he's such a kidder! I must offer him a glass of sherry when he visits on new years day"

Well it does, in a way. Not only was it obviously NOT serious (yes, I understand that he might not have known who it was at first), it was on live radio, and therefore, even if initially it was misunderstood, it was a joke.

There was no intent...

Well I'm over it. I do think it was a bit over the top, and could be scary if you didn't know who it was, but It doesn't deserve suspension.

it was on live radio

I thought it was established as being pre-recorded?

and could be scary if you didn't know who it was, but It doesn't deserve suspension.

Does raise an issue, did Sachs recognise the voice when he heard the messages? As it was left on his answer phone. Over a cheap phone line I might still be able to distinguish Ross from some other chap with a short tongue, but not Brand.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!