Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

UK University Sports Scholarships

Falcon_BlizZACK

Just wondering if anyone is in one, they seem to be very low-key and selective especially when compared with the likes of the US. I applied for one and have been selected (:yay: ) for Taekwondo. They just gave me a bit of cash, Uni sports gear, a liason (a person who tracks my progress, helps me out when I need it, and can extend my coursework deadlines a bit^^) and free gym, sauna etc membership for the full year.

Anyone in a similar scheme?

No. As you say, scholarships (for undergrads) are quite rare here.

Although im praying on all the gods I don't believe in for me ot get one for a postgrad, otherwise chances are I won't be able to do it.

Congrats though :)

Just wondering if anyone is in one, they seem to be very low-key and selective especially when compared with the likes of the US. I applied for one and have been selected (:yay: ) for Taekwondo. They just gave me a bit of cash, Uni sports gear, a liason (a person who tracks my progress, helps me out when I need it, and can extend my coursework deadlines a bit^^) and free gym, sauna etc membership for the full year.

Anyone in a similar scheme?

You lucky son-of a gun!! grats!! and steals money!

I seriously disagree with someone getting a free ride through uni just because they can kick a ball or whatever.

Oh come on, Murray. LOL.

Its all about Uni recognition. Maybe my achievements may somehow indirectly help a fellow who solely wanted to pursue a career in sport while neglecting further education. Now he or she gets the chance to do... Both! Thats... uh fair, right? ;)

Thanks for the congrats tho :)

Congratulations KingV. :D

I seriously disagree with someone getting a free ride through uni just because they can kick a ball or whatever.

Those elite men and women representing us at the Olympics have to come from somewhere though, and they probably have to work even harder then most other students. Plus it'll give him skills he can take out and put to good use in the community.

Oh come on, Murray. LOL.

Its all about Uni recognition. Maybe my achievements may somehow indirectly help a fellow who solely wanted to pursue a career in sport while neglecting further education. Now he or she gets the chance to do... Both! Thats... uh fair, right? ;)

It's not bloody fair if you get your coursework deadlines extended and get free membership to everything then no.

Those elite men and women representing us at the Olympics have to come from somewhere though, and they probably have to work even harder then most other students. Plus it'll give him skills he can take out and put to good use in the community.

I don't think doing the long jump will have much use in the community.

It's not bloody fair if you get your coursework deadlines extended and get free membership to everything then no.

Well, I gues thats just life :blank:

But really people on sports scholarships are more like ambasadors to the university - which help the university to draw in more students. And if the student's athletic potential are being nurtured he or she may go on to represent the nation. So really, this one person is doing more for the university and potentialy the country, than the typical student who studies for 3 years and goes.

I think non-sports people just think of it as litle bit of fun on the side... Its hard work, especialy in a sport as demanding as Taekwondo; there is no team to back you up, you have to hold your own and run your own personal training regime whilst getting weekly injuries.

Well, I gues thats just life :blank:

But really people on sports scholarships are more like ambasadors to the university - which help the university to draw in more students. And if the student's athletic potential are being nurtured he or she may go on to represent the nation. So really, this one person is doing more for the university and potentialy the country, than the typical student who studies for 3 years and goes.

Sports students are also more likely to give the uni a bad rep :p

True...True, BUT their also the most likely to give it a good rep and on a larger scale. :)

You've clearly never been to my uni :p

Although the whole argument is kinda moot. Of course sports students may raise more awareness of the uni, its part and parcel. Theres no similarly academic parallel. Unless a student goes on to 'do great things' (ie stuff in the public eye).

Urgh don't tell me that. I'm going for blissful ignorance at the moment.

Bah. Uni should still be free.

At Nottingham there was plenty of funding for maths students as long as you got a 2:1 or a first. It may well be different in other universities and under different funding organisations, but I was offered funding by Strathclyde, Glasgow and Nottingham.

At Nottingham there was plenty of funding for maths students as long as you got a 2:1 or a first. It may well be different in other universities and under different funding organisations, but I was offered funding by Strathclyde, Glasgow and Nottingham.

That was, and I don't mean this in any critical way, a few years ago. Bloody labour wanting everyone to go to uni has ruined it all :p And this is London...I dunno. I haven't really looked into it, just painting the world a bit cynical. There's no specific media-related funding (for the university, haven't looked into external bodies) so it would be a general postgraduate scholarship. But a boy can hope :)

That was, and I don't mean this in any critical way, a few years ago. Bloody labour wanting everyone to go to uni has ruined it all :p And this is London...I dunno. I haven't really looked into it, just painting the world a bit cynical. There's no specific media-related funding (for the university, haven't looked into external bodies) so it would be a general postgraduate scholarship. But a boy can hope :)

Got off my lawn! But, yeah, you're probably right - it was in financially safer times. I just looked up the maths/stats depatment at Nottingham and they only have places for three EPSRC funded students this year - they took on way more than that when I started back in 2002.