N-Europe

I can't think of any exercises that would need 1:1 hand movements.

I can think of one.

I don't get this WiiFit 2. The original is still selling, so why bother? I'd also be concerned that milking these Mums could dilute the impact of any next gen WiiFit HD which would prove a great launch window title for the next console. WiiFit is an IP Nintendo need to deliver early in the cycle to again deliver a large market share quick.

Edited by david.dakota

I'm not really sure why you'd need motionplus in Wii Fit.

It's mainly all Balance Board based, and I can't think of any exercises that would need 1:1 hand movements.

In original only used the Wiimote a couple of times [jogging, weights, boxing] and it worked fine enough.

well hey guess we'll find out soon enough whether it will or will not.. Or even if it exists or not..

But nintendo are going to want to try everything to promote the motion plus.. and im going to be honest. sports resort might not cut it completely.

Shopto.net Sale:

Shaun White £14.95

Mario Tennis £16.95

Deadly Creatures £12.95

Pikmin £17.95

Tomb Raider £9.95

De Blob £12.95

We Love Golf £5.95

Boom Blox £10.95

PES 2008 £9.95

Dewys Adventure £5.95

Mario & Sonic £16.95

Rumour alert! Resident Evil 2, 3 & CV heading for the Wii?

The information above comes from the magazine Hobby Consolas, and they’ve gotten a lot of things wrong in the past. I have a feeling this is Hobby Consolas taking the news that Resident Evil classics such as Zero and the original are heading to the Wii, and then ran wild with the idea. For now, we’ll keep a close eye on this one.

From GoNintendo.

Perhaps if they added some martial arts. That would pretty much require the M+. Although, you would probably need one with the Nun-chuck also, or use 2 remotes seeing as there wouldn't really be a way to get one on the nun-chuck.

Plus, Wii fit wasn't designed to be expandable. It was still one of the earlier games they marketed around a peripheral, and they didn't know how well it would do until closer to release. They probably never thought of it at the time. But honestly, think like a business, how many casuals have their Wii's even connected to the Internet. The only people who do really are the core, and most of them have most likely lost interest in the game now, and some new DLC isn't going to do it for most. It makes way more sense from an economical view to just release an entirely new game. They will make more money off of it. DLC doesn't make sense in casual games.

Oh come on, I'm a hardcore gamer, and I love Wii Sports and would love downloadable options. And like I said, downloads in Wii Fit would have helped its lifespan.

They haven't even provided Mii downloads, it's just lazy!

And LOADS of core gamers love Mario Kart for example, and yes it gets the occasional online challenge, but they could have thought about online and given a couple of new courses/characters, or some new levels in Mario Galaxy etc...

I understand what your saying about the casuals not downloading, but when you see games like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts [which can't have sold well] getting downloadable content, and Mirrors Edge etc... I just don't get it.

Nintendo need to be more proactive getting people online- free Nintendo points, free games, free DLC.

Certainly with broadband being offered free by every man and his dog in the UK, its very cheap to get online- a vast number also provide routers. Nintendo should be doing more online- or at the least prepping games with DLC hooks.

EA: Wii MotionPlus is too Sensitive

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ea-nintendo-s-wii-motionplus-is-over-responsive--590232?src=rss&attr=newsall

Developers working with the forthcoming Wii MotionPlus device have told TechRadar that the new technology is so accurate that it's actually "over responsive at times".

Although a launch date has yet to be officially announced, EA is bringing out two games in June that will take advantage of a peripheral which will make the Wiimote much more sensitive.

Thomas Singleton – who is the producer of EA's Grand Slam Tennis on the Wii – explained to TechRadar, in an exclusive interview on Wii MotionPlus, that the 'fidelity' of the Wiimote with the MotionPlus add-on was such that they had to make it less sensitive for the game.

"It truly is giving you that one-to-one control movement of your arm motion and then mapping it directly to that one-to-one movement of your character on screen," said Singleton.

"At times it's overly responsive. It had so much fidelity that at times we have limited that fidelity to make it a compelling experience and giving you full total control."

Better to be over responsive, so it can be tuned down, than under-responsive and not much of an improvement.

Wii Fit 2 could be amazing; like others have mentioned, Wii Fit would be incredible if there was DLC. I love the STEP, but it's too slow and basic; would love more routines on it. Maybe even create your own and send them to friends etc.

Also, Wii Fit fucked up with the lack of options. Why can't I set how many reps I want to do, if I want to do the Yoga poses for longer.... the game is excellent for what it is, but it could be so much more!

Lol well if anything at least it means that the future of motion control is looking bright with the imminent introduction of Motion plus.

I certainly hope motion control ISNT the future of gaming or I will be hanging up my control pad for good. Dont get me wrong if its used well and there is a good advantage over pressing a button then yeah im all for it but I hate the fact that too many developers just add waggle to games just for the hell of it.

Recently I started playing Mushroom Men and you have to use waggle to make your character attack. Now why in the hell could this not have been done with just a simple press of a button? The same goes for DeBlob and the way you have to flick the wiimote to jump, again a simple button press would have been fine!

I certainly hope motion control ISNT the future of gaming or I will be hanging up my control pad for good. Dont get me wrong if its used well and there is a good advantage over pressing a button then yeah im all for it but I hate the fact that too many developers just add waggle to games just for the hell of it.

Recently I started playing Mushroom Men and you have to use waggle to make your character attack. Now why in the hell could this not have been done with just a simple press of a button? The same goes for DeBlob and the way you have to flick the wiimote to jump, again a simple button press would have been fine!

we must remember that we are still in the nes era of motion control..

It's still very new to developers and they don't know what do with it.. remember when 3d first came in and literally every game HAD to be 3d and thus most games ended up being shit? It's like that... why? Well personally I blame reviewers... they would have criticised the graphics..

NOw when the ds came out it was the same thing.. A lot of the early games overused the touch screen and microphone.. but if they didn't they were marked down for not taking advantage of the system..

I think this is happening with the motion controls at the moment.

Mcj does indeed make a very good point. The Wii's time on the market seems to be mirroring that of the DS. In the first year or so of the DS's lifespan, there wasn't really anything worthwhile coming out beyond a couple of good Nintendo titles. Most titles released crammed touch controls in for the hell of it (see Asphalt Urban GT with the touch-steering wheel), or simply ported over GBA games and added in touch menus (see PS2 ports, which unfortunately still plague the Wii thanks to the format's unwillingness to just die).

I don't know about anyone else, but in the past year, the quantity of decent games on the Wii has skyrocketted. Many more titles are being released to critical acclaim than in the first year, partly because titles are being developed with more thoughtful Wii Remote controls in mind. Developers are only really using it when they think it can add something to the experience.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is a brilliant example. Most of the controls are just traditional D-pad and face buttons, but the PDA is touch-controlled. Small touches such as whistling into the mic to call a taxi have been added but aren't necessary as a main feature that you're forced to use every 5 minutes. Minigames are present and controlled by the touch-screen, but once again they're a far cry from the days of yore when developers churned out thoughtless minigame compilations. They're integral to the experience - breaking out of a car submerged in water by tapping the window, slotting together a sniper rifle, chucking molotovs at unsuspecting citizens of Liberty City with excellent precision, hotwiring cars... It's a great example of how far the DS has come, and a sign that developers can and will adjust to new technology such as the Wii and make the controls more compelling, intuitive and better to play with than a control pad.

Obviously we'll still see a few cases such as Mushroom Men (which I haven't played yet, but plan on doing so), maybe they deserve the benefit of the doubt though. Red Fly are a relatively small and new developer, and development began after Nintendo announced details on Twilight Princess for the Wii and its sword waggle.

we must remember that we are still in the nes era of motion control..

It's still very new to developers and they don't know what do with it.. remember when 3d first came in and literally every game HAD to be 3d and thus most games ended up being shit? It's like that... why? Well personally I blame reviewers... they would have criticised the graphics..

NOw when the ds came out it was the same thing.. A lot of the early games overused the touch screen and microphone.. but if they didn't they were marked down for not taking advantage of the system..

I think this is happening with the motion controls at the moment.

Very insightful and very true. A tip of the hat, good sir!

Here's some good news:

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=pt-PT&js=n&u=http://www.lusogamer.com/news/795/MadWorld-poder%C3%A1-ter-sequela&sl=pt&tl=en&swap=1

Seems that HotD: Overkill has done better than expected sale wise and looks likely to get a sequel. Didn't say much about MadWorld's sales but mentioned that a sequel is also highly likely.

With MadWorld specifically, I think news that it's done well will surprise people for two reasons.

Firstly, some people were always putting way, way too much pressure on it to do well. Failing to understand that Wii is the best platform for 'evergreen' titles, they look at the first week sales, see that it didn't top charts or sell hundreds of thousands of units and say "Pff. Bombed. Hardcore has failed on Wii". This past weeks in the UK saw it creep up two places to 6 in the Wii chart. As long as word of mouth continues to move in its favour, it should stick around for some time.

The second reason is rather more obvious: people naturally focus on negative news. So "Overkill sells only 47k in the first month in US" takes prominence over "Overkill enters UK charts high, continues to out-perform the million-seller 2&3 Return". Similarly, everyone will focus on "MadWorld fails to make huge splash in first week in UK" as opposed to "MadWorld enters US Top 10, sells 60,000 in first week".

The best similarity to draw with MadWorld is Okami on PS2. Both stylish, difficult to sell to a mainstram audience, both released to very good reviews and both had a big push from critics and gamers to will them do well. However, Okami had two extra things going for it over MadWorld: it didn't restrict itself to a mature-only audience and PS2 had double the install-base of Wii. And what did Okami do worldwide? 250,000 at most? MadWorld is already set to pass that and sell more than any of Clover's titles. I really don't see where the doomsday-predictors are coming from.

With MadWorld specifically, I think news that it's done well will surprise people for two reasons.

Firstly, some people were always putting way, way too much pressure on it to do well. Failing to understand that Wii is the best platform for 'evergreen' titles, they look at the first week sales, see that it didn't top charts or sell hundreds of thousands of units and say "Pff. Bombed. Hardcore has failed on Wii". This past weeks in the UK saw it creep up two places to 6 in the Wii chart. As long as word of mouth continues to move in its favour, it should stick around for some time.

The second reason is rather more obvious: people naturally focus on negative news. So "Overkill sells only 47k in the first month in US" takes prominence over "Overkill enters UK charts high, continues to out-perform the million-seller 2&3 Return". Similarly, everyone will focus on "MadWorld fails to make huge splash in first week in UK" as opposed to "MadWorld enters US Top 10, sells 60,000 in first week".

The best similarity to draw with MadWorld is Okami on PS2. Both stylish, difficult to sell to a mainstram audience, both released to very good reviews and both had a big push from critics and gamers to will them do well. However, Okami had two extra things going for it over MadWorld: it didn't restrict itself to a mature-only audience and PS2 had double the install-base of Wii. And what did Okami do worldwide? 250,000 at most? MadWorld is already set to pass that and sell more than any of Clover's titles. I really don't see where the doomsday-predictors are coming from.

We need to copy and paste this reply and put it at the top of this forum. It makes a lot of sense. :)

Guest Captain Falcon

You make some good points, but Madworld doesn't exactly strike me as a title that fit into the "everygreen" category - it just doesn't have the mass market appeal to achieve such a status.

And whilst it may be set to eclipse Okami's sales, unless we have any idea how much it cost to make, it could still end up being considered a "commercial failure" even if i goes onto becoming the studio's highest selling title to date (a title I'd imagine currently rests with the original Viewtiful Joe).

SEGA have already said they're happy with the sales so far though, haven't they? The fact that they're planning on making a sequel should alone encourage developers. CoD:W@W wasn't exactly a casual title, but it still had legs and is now around 1 million sales.

Guest Captain Falcon
SEGA have already said they're happy with the sales so far though, haven't they? The fact that they're planning on making a sequel should alone encourage developers. CoD:W@W wasn't exactly a casual title, but it still had legs and is now around 1 million sales.

It may not be a causal title in the newer sense of the word, but the CoD name had been growing and then exploded thanks to Modern Warfare - it's one of the biggest franchises going - and as such can't be compared to new IP. But even if it was the first in the series, I'm sure the concept is more identifiable with the general public than Madworld will ever be.

Maybe they feel, that by reusing the engine in another title, they can help to spread the cost of the game over a longer period rather than just accepting a loss based on a single entry.