N-Europe

Firstly..i didn't 'thank' your post. who did? haha

Also Game are now sexist towards boy's because of the small debate a few years back that there were sexist towards girls..:heh:

Its legislation gone mad! :p

Actually, one of our female staff members was the second best employee we had.

Behind me of course.

Look, there are two types of people who work at game.

1. 800lb men who smell and complain when they need to find a game at the other end of the store.
  2. 80lb men/women that never see the light of day, as evident by their blindingly white skin which can be used as an alternate light source. Rarer than Big-Foot.

[/topic]

Leave me alone, I'm albino :(

SEGA: Wii has done us proud, viable teen market on Wii, room for edgier titles

"To be blunt, there were some erroneous quotes that went out. They did come from Sega personnel but they weren't appropriate or accurate. I did speak to a lot of the European press, saying 'Please ignore all that.' With Tournament of Legends we've definitely brought that down to more like a T-rated level. So there's a viable market there. Is it going to be as big as the Teen or Mature market that exists on the Xbox 360 or PS3 platforms? Certainly not. Is it viable, because the cost of development on the Wii is significantly less than those other platforms? Then, potentially the answer is yes. Our general view of the Wii is that it's a platform that's done Sega particularly proud; we've been very supportive of it with the success we've had with the Mario & Sonic series, success we've had with the Sonic series, and some of the redesigned IP like House of the Dead. So the Wii remains a very important part of our mix. So you will see certainly quite a few more announcements on Wii titles that Sega will be producing and publishing. Just Dance has been absolutely phenomenal. Most of what Sega does on the Wii is more in that field, but I still say there's an opportunity for titles in that more edgy genre. You're right that Wii is such a phenomenon that it caught many people off guard when it first came out, and I still think it continues to surprise with the software numbers it can notch up on appropriate titles." - Sega West President Mike Hayes

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=121152

HAHA! After our recent GAME bashing in this topic this has just been announced. :D

Shares in Game Group have sunk 14% after the games retailer announced a 28% fall in annual profits and said its chief executive was stepping down.

Lisa Morgan will be replaced by Chris Bell - the former boss of Ladbrokes - as interim chief executive, Game said, as it announced its full-year results. The firm's UK chief operating officer Terry Scicluna has also resigned. Pre-tax profits for last year were £84.2m, down from the £117.4m reported 12 months ago. Game blamed the wider fall in video game sales for its decline in profits.

It argued that it had delivered its second-best trading performance in its history, and had "outperformed the market". "Our results were delivered against the backdrop of a very difficult trading environment, which saw the global PC and video games market decline by over 20%," said chairman Peter Lewis.

Previously, Game has also cited the absence of major new console launches as a problem. However, revenues are expected to continue to fall this year despite expected new product launches from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. Game operates nearly 700 stores in the UK, with nearly 800 more across Europe and Australia. Last year, international sales rose by 1.7%, but sales in the UK and Irish Republic fell 20%.

Supermarkets have been giving them a run for their money when it comes to new game release prices, not to mention their trade in prices seem to have dropped alot. One time you would get at least £25 for a newish game, I traded FFXIII and GOW3 in the other week and only got £20 for each of them!

My problems with GAME nowadays/reasons for their downfall are these:

1) They don't stock the good games (they do online, but not instore).

2) Games in sometimes very poor condition are sold as "new". New & sealed should be standard.

3) Lack of good new hardware recently (hardware is the main thing I buy from them).

4) Competition from online sites and supermarkets. That said, GAME has one of the best websites.

2) Games in sometimes very poor condition are sold as "new". New & sealed should be standard.

3) Lack of good new hardware recently (hardware is the main thing I buy from them).

4) Competition from online sites and supermarkets. That said, GAME has one of the best websites.

I quite simply think they have ridiculous prices. I wanted to buy Fable 2. So I went in to the store, and it cost 550 SEK. USED! AND on a "special discount". Brand new games cost 600, so the fact that the game was used AND on discount had just reduced the price by 50 SEK.

I quite simply think they have ridiculous prices.

^ this. last time i went in a Game store was to get metroid prime trilogy. £40. i lol'd, went across the road to Asda and picked it up for around £30.

their prices are a joke and i don't know why ANYBODY would buy from them when there are so many cheaper alternatives, both instores and online.

Not possible.

Unless you want nothing on the shelves.

And some games don't even come sealed anyway.

Not possible.

Unless they move to one of those plastic box systems like Best Buy ect, where they have a plastic security box around the real case.

In general, the stores owned by the same company here are fairly good still. They sell things at the same price as everywhere else, and when you buy a game where the disk isn't in the case, they show you the disk before you commit to buying it. They also have a reasonably good stock of games.

Unless they move to one of those plastic box systems like Best Buy ect, where they have a plastic security box around the real case.

In general, the stores owned by the same company here are fairly good still. They sell things at the same price as everywhere else, and when you buy a game where the disk isn't in the case, they show you the disk before you commit to buying it. They also have a reasonably good stock of games.

The cost of buying all the cases, the cost of buying the detagging equipment and the cost of buying all new shelving to accommodate them (plus some Game stores are cupboards with tills as it is) in over 1000 stores (presuming they'll do GS at the same time) for a company which is taking a nosedive... And the cost of training. Even if thats just getting someone to write a how-to and send it around.

Woolworths did it fine when they were in business. They had dummy cases for all of the games and then you just took it to the counter where they chucked it on the floor and handed you a nice sealed copy.

They had real cases for back catalogue. Plus changing the charts every week were a fucking nightmare :heh: Game does have some display boxes, but its mostly for new releases, and even then they don't often get enough. Plus it tends to lead to this fun conversation;

*Customer brings up a game box, staff checks and nada*

Staff: "Sorry, we are out of stock" (in a more polite way sometimes)

Idiot: "But there's the box!"

Staff: "Its just a display box."

Idiot: "But its the box!"

Staff: "No its just for display purposes."

Idiot: "Then why have you got it out if you haven't got it in stock?"

Staff: "We have to, company policy. Plus it does have a 'coming soon' sticker on to indicate its not in stock."

Idiot: "That's just stupid, why have something out that's not in stock *moan rant moan rant storm off swearing*"

Just no.

Plus as you say, Woolworths when it was still operating ;) There's a reason it closed down and wasting money and time on display cases probably contributed.

Not possible.

Nintendo games are supposed to come sealed. I almost vomited on the GAME guy who sold me Picross 3D as I watched him shove the opened instructions, points card, cartridge, etc. in an opened box.

*Customer brings up a game box, staff checks and nada*

Staff: "Sorry, we are out of stock" (in a more polite way sometimes)

Idiot: "But there's the box!"

Staff: "Its just a display box."

Idiot: "But its the box!"

Staff: "No its just for display purposes."

Idiot: "Then why have you got it out if you haven't got it in stock?"

Staff: "We have to, company policy. Plus it does have a 'coming soon' sticker on to indicate its not in stock."

Idiot: "That's just stupid, why have something out that's not in stock *moan rant moan rant storm off swearing*"

That brought back memories. It's especially aggravating at Christmas time when every other customer asks the same thing.

About Game: I met this great worker there a few years back, during the years of the Gamecube. He was helping out a customer who had recently bought a Gamecube, but didn't know what new games to purchase. So, he was walking around the store with her, talking about all these different titles. Then, it came to a point where he had picked up Eternal Darkness off the shelf and literally sold the game to her right there and then. He spoke truthfully about the game. Ranted and raved about it, but gave an accurate description about what the game offered. Mentioned the pros and cons. Compared it to similar games or films. In the end, he sold that to her, along with another game or two.

I was stood with my Mum at the time, watching the guy and was really, really impressed. He knew his stuff, he helped the customer and didn't do it in a patronising or smarmy way. He could have just sold her any old crap, but he picked a quality title and he sold it a lot better than any advert that I have seen for that game.

Now, that's great service. Since going back to there or to Gamestation or HMV, I've never seen service such as that. When I go into stores that sell musical instruments, the people there are very knowledgeable about the subject matter. You can have many interesting conversations, in a down to earth way. I don't think it's been that way for GAME for a long, long time. Gamestation used to be a lot better, but they've gone the same way now, unfortunately.

In USA both Metroid: Other M and Sin & Punishment 2 are delayed.

Metroid: Other M has changed from being released on 27/6 to TBD and Sin and Punishment 2 has changed from being released on 6/6 to 27/6.

The reason for the delays could because of Zelda Wii.

Nintendo games are supposed to come sealed. I almost vomited on the GAME guy who sold me Picross 3D as I watched him shove the opened instructions, points card, cartridge, etc. in an opened box.

I've had this happen a few times and its hateful. Truly it is! Handle the games with care please and don't tape them up, thanks! :angry:

About Game: I met this great worker there a few years back, during the years of the Gamecube. He was helping out a customer who had recently bought a Gamecube, but didn't know what new games to purchase. So, he was walking around the store with her, talking about all these different titles. Then, it came to a point where he had picked up Eternal Darkness off the shelf and literally sold the game to her right there and then. He spoke truthfully about the game. Ranted and raved about it, but gave an accurate description about what the game offered. Mentioned the pros and cons. Compared it to similar games or films. In the end, he sold that to her, along with another game or two.

I was stood with my Mum at the time, watching the guy and was really, really impressed. He knew his stuff, he helped the customer and didn't do it in a patronising or smarmy way. He could have just sold her any old crap, but he picked a quality title and he sold it a lot better than any advert that I have seen for that game.

Now, that's great service. Since going back to there or to Gamestation or HMV, I've never seen service such as that. When I go into stores that sell musical instruments, the people there are very knowledgeable about the subject matter. You can have many interesting conversations, in a down to earth way. I don't think it's been that way for GAME for a long, long time. Gamestation used to be a lot better, but they've gone the same way now, unfortunately.

Unreal. I've never witnessed anything like that in any video game shop ever. Thats the way these stores should be run. The usual thing I've noticed is people being sold Wii's with unnecessary peripherals and poor games and the DSi being described to someone as "them [Nintendo] trying to make it more like the PSP." Gobsmacked. :blank:

When I was buying Trackmania DS the store was empty and they guy (kid) at the counter asked me what sort of games I'm into. I can't remember my exact response but I didn't mention any games per se, then he told me he liked Forza and all the stereotypical 360 stuff you can think of. I remember asking him if he'd ever tried anything like Dragon Quest or Mario which drew a blank response. He went and got my Game, like Tellyn, I just about managed not to barf, then I got outta there.

I was in an EB Games a few months back just browsing. I ended up buying some used Gamecube game I think. Anyway, while I was standing in line the guy in front of me asked the person at the counter what a good shooter for the PS3 was. The employee recommended Haze.

In all honesty, I don't really think game stores are particularly bad for stuff like this when you compare it to other stores. Its just we notice it more there because we know a lot about games. There's a good chance most customers don't know nearly as much about games so they don't notice. The people working there are just trying to make sales really, so they'll tell the customers anything to get them to buy something. If you go to any sort of big name store you're going to find a similar situation. When my family was buying our first HDTV a few years back, the sales associate told us that the TV could take a digital 4:3 signal and convert it to 16:9 without cropping or stretching it, rather using something similar to the Content Aware Scale feature that had at the time just been released with Photoshop CS4 (a feature that takes minutes to render a single frame on much more powerful hardware than the TV in question) My dad and I knew he was BSing, but we didn't bother mentioning this, as we had already made up our mind on the TV, and just wanted to buy it and get out of there. I've been to previously mentioned stores that sell musical instruments and dealt with people that quite obviously didn't really know what they were talking about, but just wanted to make a sale. While you get the odd person that does know what they're talking about in a chain store, the only time I've really dealt with people who do has been at smaller independent stores, where the people who work in the place, own the place, and are generally quite passionate about the products they sell.

When I do decide to buy something from GAME if it isn't sealed they I don't buy it.

A few years back I bought a copy of Big Brain Academy on the DS that was opened but apparently new. When I got home I found that there was a save file on the thing.

From then on I take the box to the counter and ask if they have a sealed copy, if not then I don't buy the game and take my business elsewhere. Oh and when I say sealed copy and I mean a geniune sealed copy, not an opened game with a shoddy GAME sticker on the side of the box that is impossible to get off without leaving a mark!

Nintendo games yes, but not every game is made by Nintendo ;) Random one off the top of my head; Tomb Raider Legends. Never came sealed.

I don't think it's been that way for GAME for a long, long time. Gamestation used to be a lot better, but they've gone the same way now, unfortunately.

Taking your experience and writing it large. Hmmm :p

Its a tough battle between giving a good level of service, honest advice and having some bottomfeeder breathing down your neck saying "You need to make this amount in sales and this amount in pre-owned and etc". But where possible I gave honest advice and helped the best I could.

I even got 100% on a mystery shopper once. Go team me! Nice old lady too, and she wrote gushing comments about me :grin:

not an opened game with a shoddy GAME sticker on the side of the box that is impossible to get off without leaving a mark!

C'mon. If I could do it 30 times a day surely you can? :heh:

Unless the seals have changed. Not bought anything for a while.

Very annoyed that my brother throw away the roll of 1000 seals I...found as he thought it was rubbish.

Matt Casamassina Leaves IGN For Apple

Wow. Never thought I’d be writing this kind of post, but here we are. After some 13 years, I’m leaving IGN to start an exciting new chapter in my life. So where next?

Anybody who has read my work through the years will know that I’ve long been a huge Nintendo fan, but if there is one company that could entice me away from covering Mario and Zelda it’s the one owned by Steve Jobs. Beginning early May, I will join Apple as global editorial games manager, App Store. In a nutshell, I will be leading the charge for games on the App Store, so whether you browse through iTunes, iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, the games content you see will be handpicked and organized by me and my team. I couldn’t be happier.

This cheesy blog — a website URL that was intended to be dedicated to ridiculously spicy foods until Fran Mirabella proved worthless and failed to live up to his end of the bargain, as he often does — will house random thoughts from me on various subjects. So if you ever care to read any such ramblings or just want to stay in touch, you’ll be able to do both here.

If you have been reading my writings through the years, thanks. If you’ve got iTunes or any Apple handheld, I’ll see you on the other side.

– Matt