NEurope

The 360/PS3 parts of the Bonus Round are well worth a watch aswell. Especially the 360 one, as the say Microsoft aren't going after Nintendo's market with Natal, where as Sony have 'Wiines envy' .

Shigeru (and Nintendo) needs to stop telling gamers what they want and actually LISTEN!!!

If developers want to include some form of achievements in their games, that's fine. I agree with Miyamoto's carrot point though. Achievement points and trophies just add artificial longevity.

I think an achievement system would add some longevity to some games but I wouldn't want them to implement something that merely gave you a number or a coloured picture next to your tag. Smash Bros. Brawl had the right idea by including an achievement system that gave you content for reaching certain criteria. That is the way I'd love to see an achievement system implemented into titles on the Wii and on the other consoles instead of the gamerscore/trophy thing and making gamers then download the content which should have been included on the disc. That specifically has been the biggest problem with the respective systems on the 360 and PS3 and hopefully it's something they address on the next consoles.

If developers want to include some form of achievements in their games, that's fine. I agree with Miyamoto's carrot point though. Achievement points and trophies just add artificial longevity.

To b ehonest, I have no interest in achievements or trophies, but gamers love them, LOVE them. So I say give them them. I mean, I actually like the extra challenges in Wario Ware and Punch Out....they're the same thing aren't they? I like the idea, but really only if it gives you some new content

I think an achievement system would add some longevity to some games but I wouldn't want them to implement something that merely gave you a number or a coloured picture next to your tag. Smash Bros. Brawl had the right idea by including an achievement system that gave you content for reaching certain criteria. That is the way I'd love to see an achievement system implemented into titles on the Wii and on the other consoles instead of the gamerscore/trophy thing and making gamers then download the content which should have been included on the disc. That specifically has been the biggest problem with the respective systems on the 360 and PS3 and hopefully it's something they address on the next consoles.

That's pretty much one of the reasons why Melee was played for so long on the Gamecube, for me anyway. Sure, the multiplayer just had you coming back for more, but so did the singleplayer. With Brawl, I've barely scratched the surface with it. This is something that Nintendo should be doing more in their games, as it's a huge strength. Why can't this idea by incorporated to Mario Kart? Link it in with time trials, beating certain times gives you something special.

Having the ability to unlock something is a big reason to play a game. Think of Ocarina of Time, for example. It took me ages to find Nayru's Love, but I kept looking for it. When I found it, I was pleased. It wasn't essential to finishing the game, but it was there if you wanted to get everything, all the special things. So, hiding "secrets" in the game for you to find is definitely a big reason to play beyond the main quest or until you have "beaten the end boss" or "finished the last race."

But, with these games, I was happy to find more because I wanted everything out of these games. I love Brawl, I love the Mario Kart games, and I love Ocarina of Time, perhaps too much. I wanted everything out of these games because you fully want to experience everything. With some games, you sometimes don't have a desire to get everything, because it can seem too repetitive, or you just get bored. You need that magic or spark there so that you want to do it, not have to. I can't think of an example of a game where this has happened to me just yet, but I will try.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I'm not the biggest fan me achievements, they seem not to serve any purpose in terms of gameplay (at least from my limited knowledge of them). And if they offer nothing for gameplay, their existence must be (again, my opinion) to either be as a geek penis extension or artificial game padding.

All that said, if Nintendo were to offer a gamer account, i'd like badges for completing games.

I'm not the biggest fan me achievements, they seem not to serve any purpose in terms of gameplay (at least from my limited knowledge of them). And if they offer nothing for gameplay, their existence must be (again, my opinion) to either be as a geek penis extension or artificial game padding.

All that said, if Nintendo were to offer a gamer account, i'd like badges for completing games.

But why if they offer nothing to the gameplay? Or are you in need of a geek penis extension? :D

I sort of agree though the trophies are infinitely better than the point system on live. Badges would be a decent alternative. Especially if you could wear them on your Miis.....

Badges would be a decent alternative. Especially if you could wear them on your Miis.....

Haha. I don't know why but I really like the idea of that.

Yeah... badges actually sound great. Curse you, Dazzy, you make me go back on my word!

But why if they offer nothing to the gameplay? Or are you in need of a geek penis extension? :D

Have no need. Mrs D bought me a manually operated penis enlarger last birthday. Its been used so much the handle's come off.

Granted, it offers nothing to gameplay. But like a game's end sequence, a badge could be a nice little reward for doing something substantial, rather than opening a door, getting a point and thinking you are 'da man'.

Have no need. Mrs D bought me a manually operated penis enlarger last birthday. Its been used so much the handle's come off.

Granted, it offers nothing to gameplay. But like a game's end sequence, a badge could be a nice little reward for doing something substantial, rather than opening a door, getting a point and thinking you are 'da man'.

It took me quite a few reads to realise there was no continuation between those paragraphs.

It took me quite a few reads to realise there was no continuation between those paragraphs.

Lol! :bowdown: Ditto!

New SCEE Head "PS2 Vs N64 lifecycle proved Sony success."

If you look back at previous lifecycles, like PS2 versus N64, we have lots of data that suggests that lots of people bought into N64 as their entry level gaming device, and were happy to upgrade to a more powerful machine later in the lifecycle when the price point was right for them.

I think we're going to see this later on PS3, and the fact that it's a Blu-ray player as well and that there's a [greater] wealth of network based experiences than are perhaps available on the device they already have will add to the proposition. I think that will definitely be a factor in the marketplace.

Eh! What?

Edited by Dante

Well to be fair to the guy, when the PS2 hit the market, the N64 was still Nintendo's main console as the Gamecube wouldn't see release in any territory for over a year. But it is a little strange because they were two completely different generations of consoles but it does sound like he means N64.

Same logic applies with the early launch of the Xbox 360. That wasn't competing against the GameCube, was it?

Been playing through and have almost completed Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis and it's great. I haven't played Tunguska but apparently this is a direct sequel so perhaps I should get hold of it to fill in the backstory. Anyway, I seriously recommend it to those that have played the first one and to those that haven't played it. It's classic point and click action with some genuinely head scratching moments that have stumped me for ages. Nice having this style of challenge again.

Got Broken Sword to blitz thorugh afterwards so getting my point and click fix before Another Code comes out on the 26th.

edit: finished Secret Files 2. Such a good game. Great story and some really good puzzles. Seriously, if you want a challenge, this game does nicely.

Edited by Ganepark32

I have had the Smash Bros Brawl soundtrack in the car for when im driving back and forth from work and its quite a dangerous CD. Everytime the Star Fox: Corneria mix and F-Zero songs kick in I tend to get possesed and put my foot down. I swear if they ever release this CD officially it should come with a warning.

Listening to this CD while driving may cause loss of licence due to speeding

:D

Hmm, he didn't challenge him like last year . Disappointing. Why didn't he say - yeah, next year looks great, but this year there's nothing for the core....AGAIN!!!!!!

Hmm, he didn't challenge him like last year . Disappointing. Why didn't he say - yeah, next year looks great, but this year there's nothing for the core....AGAIN!!!!!!

because he will say mario bros wii and talk about how they are implanting challenging elements into wii sports resort to make it enjoyable for everyone.. or something like that....

Probably go on to talking about third parties filling in the gaps...

thats NOT a tough question for him to answer

It would be if I was asking because I wouldn't accept either of them. Wii Sports Resort will probably be my game of the year, I can just feel it. But that's coming out very soon and most definitely not a core game. A non online multiplayer NSMB is okay. What are nintendo doing for the core? Not 3rd parties, they're providing us with some incredible games, but what about Nintendo? What are they doing for their fans? We may be insatiable, but give us something!!!

Nothing? I'm sure there's a lot of great third party games this year.