NEurope

E3 09: Denise Kaigler Interview Pt. 1

E3 09: Denise Kaigler Interview Pt. 2

suppose nothing we already didn't know..

Gives me more faith on wii sports resort however..

It really is a game that both casuals and core can enjoy if you will.

How much did she stutter and buckle about the Wii HD!! Its certainly coming!!!

How much did she stutter and buckle about the Wii HD!! Its certainly coming!!!

Here's what Iwata says on about the HD Wii.

If we have an opportunity to make a new console, it will probably support HD because it is now common throughout the world. However, as far as the Wii is concerned, we have not found a significant reason to make it HD-compatible at this time. What is the significant meaning to the users? I don’t think we should do it unless we find that reason. If we decide for other reasons to make new hardware, then HD is one of the things we would naturally add.

if you look at statements made before Wii's release, its pretty clear that Nintendo were heading down the HD route at some point, so a High Def machine exists somewhere within NCL.

Do i believe that its impending? Well, we've got Motion+ which needs to firmly find its feet, a ton of new titles, so no i don't think we'll see a replacement anytime soon.

However, could we see Wii HD as a 'premium' console? Quite possibly. There's nothing to say Nintendo would replace the Wii Remote- or any other peripherals in fact; the HD-DVD consortium were able to fuse HD-DVD and standard DVD on one disk, so the same retail disk could house both HD and SD versions of a game; and doesn't Metroid almost look too good for Wii?

Nintendo are hardly likely to announce it now and loose 12/18 months of sales.

if you look at statements made before Wii's release, its pretty clear that Nintendo were heading down the HD route at some point, so a High Def machine exists somewhere within NCL.

Do i believe that its impending? Well, we've got Motion+ which needs to firmly find its feet, a ton of new titles, so no i don't think we'll see a replacement anytime soon.

However, could we see Wii HD as a 'premium' console? Quite possibly. There's nothing to say Nintendo would replace the Wii Remote- or any other peripherals in fact; the HD-DVD consortium were able to fuse HD-DVD and standard DVD on one disk, so the same retail disk could house both HD and SD versions of a game; and doesn't Metroid almost look too good for Wii?

Nintendo are hardly likely to announce it now and loose 12/18 months of sales.

This is exactly how I see it played out. Wii HD will still be a Wii; then companies can create HD versions of the games etc. Like games designed around wii motion plus. Nintendos new business model. Hardware upgrades that aren't needed, but have enough incentive to make you want to

I have no idea why they are not releasing this RIGHT NOW.. are they waiting for a massive launch? that would be a poor idea..

I would quietly release this new wii hd.. I mean what's the point of advertising the fact the wii had a weak point all along to the public.. what are they going to announce next? wii "yes this version has no friend codes"

This is exactly how I see it played out. Wii HD will still be a Wii; then companies can create HD versions of the games etc. Like games designed around wii motion plus. Nintendos new business model. Hardware upgrades that aren't needed, but have enough incentive to make you want to

could also be instead of a price cut.. they could just release the new wii at the same price and advertise it properly then..

I agree that a price cut wouln't work long term. But good value would.

I don't expect to see an HD Wii any time soon because the Wii is selling bucket loads, or since you couldn't fit that many in a bucket, perhaps I should say truck loads.

I can see them doing what everyone is saying in a couple years. Although, personally, I'd rather they didn't.

Yeah lets just say the Natal and Sony's 1:1 are mere distractions.

Motionplus will be in my hands. Good luck to the other two.

Tbh it's going to be VERY different every gen now. And that is nothing but a good thing for the industry. With all of these new gamers getting an awareness of Nintendo (people who never knew them before other than that "mario" or "pokemon" games company) it will be interesting to see how they 'commit' to Nintendo in the future. Many predict that they wont but many journalists predicting that people will 'abandon' Nintendo don't seem to understand how strong a brand name can be. Especially when that brand has brought so much fun with the family. Well done to Sony and MS for bringing something new (and old) to the table, but next gen is when it will get VERY interesting. I can only see Nintendo embracing change and taking more risks in comparison to Sony and MS. Yet we perhaps we wont be seeing as much change.

But, for now I'm just damn enjoying the current state of play. It's never been so diverse, satisfying, advanced and, more importantly: accessible.

Edited by tapedeck

Tbh it's going to be VERY different every gen now. And that is nothing but a good thing for the industry. With all of these new gamers getting an awareness of Nintendo (people who never knew them before other than that "mario" or "pokemon" games company) it will be interesting to see how they 'commit' to Nintendo in the future. Many predict that they wont but many journalists predicting that people will 'abandon' Nintendo don't seem to understand how strong a brand name can be. Especially when that brand has brought so much fun with the family. Well done to Sony and MS for bringing something new (and old) to the table, but next gen is when it will get VERY interesting. I can only see Nintendo embracing change and taking more risks. But, for now I'm just damn enjoying the current state of play. It's never been so diverse, satisfying, advanced and, more importantly: accessible.

Absolutely. Well said. We can speculate about the future until the cows come home, but why bother when the state of gaming NOW offers so much for everyone?

Unless each game is created twice, there's pretty much no way that this'll work. You can't scale games that well unfortunately.

I think they're talking about HD in the next console, which is pretty much an obvious step.

Edited by Marthuser

Unless each game is created twice, there's pretty much no way that this'll work. You can't scale games that well unfortunately.

Works perfectly well on PC, you have an entry level PC you get an entry level gaming experience, have a brand spanking new, state of the art PC you get a much improved experience.

Works perfectly well on PC, you have an entry level PC you get an entry level gaming experience, have a brand spanking new, state of the art PC you get a much improved experience.

I was thinking the same thing. And then I thought about things like AI and Physics. Obviously with a more powerful console developers would want to improve things like this with the added power, but they wouldn't be able to if they have to make games that work on both.

I was thinking the same thing. And then I thought about things like AI and Physics. Obviously with a more powerful console developers would want to improve things like this with the added power, but they wouldn't be able to if they have to make games that work on both.

You're absolutely correct but then things like imrpoved ai and physics actually take quite a lot of effort. Wouldn't developers be pleased with the quick-fix solution of simply being able to render Wii games in HD? The increase in resolution would improve visuals significantly - certainly enough to warrant say a £230 price point for "Wii HD".

This isn't going to happen and clearly HD is intended for the next console online and not a second version of the Wii. Wouldn't it have been nice though?

Absolutely. Well said. We can speculate about the future until the cows come home, but why bother when the state of gaming NOW offers so much for everyone?

QTF but posters want to moan about others things like not having graphics like PS3/360, games that not played yet or ignore the 'hardcore' games that there are getting.

QTF but posters want to moan about others things like not having graphics like PS3/360, games that not played yet or ignore the 'hardcore' games that there are getting.

Speaking for myself, i've definately not ignored the likes of Little King Story, Klonoa, Okami, Disaster, Madworld, Overkill but understand that Wii isn't gaining titles like Modern Warfare 2, Bioshock, simply down to its more modest power.

You're absolutely correct but then things like imrpoved ai and physics actually take quite a lot of effort. Wouldn't developers be pleased with the quick-fix solution of simply being able to render Wii games in HD? The increase in resolution would improve visuals significantly - certainly enough to warrant say a £230 price point for "Wii HD".

This isn't going to happen and clearly HD is intended for the next console online and not a second version of the Wii. Wouldn't it have been nice though?

Speaking for myself, i've definately not ignored the likes of Little King Story, Klonoa, Okami, Disaster, Madworld, Overkill but understand that Wii isn't gaining titles like Modern Warfare 2, Bioshock, simply down to its more modest power.

Exactly. The AI, Physics, and Higher Polygon Count are going to be done with the 360 and PS3 games anyway (or 720 and PS4 depending on what happens). More graphical effects alone would be nice. But it wouldn't solve the main problem the Wii has in not getting multi-platform games.

Although. I bet when the Wii HD (and by that I mean the next console) comes out we'll be seeing publishers porting games like Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, and Fallout 3, to make a quick buck.

I bet when the Wii HD (and by that I mean the next console) comes out we'll be seeing publishers porting games like Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, and Fallout 3, to make a quick buck.

You know, I actually would like to see this happen in many cases :heh:

I'm unlikely to be able to play the majority of games on the HD consoles as I am more than happy only owning a Wii this generation but I certainly wouldn't be against being able to play some of the best games on the XBOX 360 and PS3 if and when it is possible to bring them to a Nintendo platform in the future :smile:

I'm not saying its a bad thing at all. Hopefully the games are improved slightly to take advantage of Nintendo's next console, whether it be more powerful, or have something else new.

I'd like to see it happen too! Ubisoft apparently have a large percentage of their workforce working on games for the Wii 2 and other next gen consoles... Whether this is simply pre-production based on guesses, I don't know, but you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll be porting everything they can from this generation to the Wii 2. ;)

Gametrailers Bonus Round

Nintendo's E3

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/305?ch=2&sd=1

Just watched this. I'm VERY pleasantly surprised!! They all seem quite positive about what Nintendo have actually coming out, if not the presentation of the show. It mirrors what I think really - we did just get a lot of good looking games announced and motion plus is so worth being excited for!

Have a watch guys, it's a nice reality check - things aren't too bad at all for Wii!