Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

My swords

Chris the great

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's a pointless possession. I've found myself more and more reluctant to buy things "just because". I now limit myself to books, cds, films and games, you know... things I can actually use and get something out of?

=/

i get something out of swords. to me they are art. you may find them pointless, but chances are if i went through your possesions and threw out everything i deemed pointless, youd have a lot less stuff. i get as much out of a sword as i do from most films, games or books.

By that do you mean that you get to use your swords (the ones that aren't decorative)? If so how? I can't imagine many opportunities for getting to use them altho if I had one :idea: I'd definately try shaving with it at least once. I aslo imagine it'd spell bad luck for any burglars you get

i ocahsionaly do a little cutting with the swords, just fruit and the ocashional bit of cardboard. its very satifying to swing at a mellon and hardly feel any resitance as the blade passes through.

Did you hear that owning a samurai sword is now illegal?

no, it isn't. the law was very widly missquoted. the law was that the sale of imitation samurai swords was made illigal, with only pre ww2 swords and licenced modernday sword smiths able to sell. this has since changed to allow all hand forged samurai swords to be sold in the uk, excluding scotland

Love your Roman-esque one, but that machete just shows how shit European swords are compared to Japanese ones.

Loving the Roman one, but give me the machete in a fight anyday.

the machete like sword, the falchion, is a different beast to the katana. it was, as you noticed, very close to a machete, often called a commoners sword as it would be used in the feilds during peace time. its a heavy peice, and certainly packs a punch, and despite its humble looks, its effective for both thrusting and cutting, even chain mail was in danger from such a weapon.

i get something out of swords. to me they are art. you may find them pointless, but chances are if i went through your possesions and threw out everything i deemed pointless, youd have a lot less stuff. i get as much out of a sword as i do from most films, games or books.

They aren't art... they're not conveying any message or emotion, therefore, by definition, they are not art. And they are pointless, no matter what you say, unless you'd be using them for something fruithful, they are pointless. Oh, and it's not "what I deem pointless"... things either have a point or not. If you'd go through my possessions, you'd throw away a few pointless things I have lying around that I like and a couple of hats. I'm not criticizing you for liking swords, I collect dildos, for christ's sake... but you have to be able to admit to your own lifestlye, and collecting swords is pointless unless they have some sort of background (which, if they did, you wouldn't be able to afford). Nothing wrong with it being pointless, though. :) People have to stop saying "the way I see it" and "what I deem" and "my view on it is" when talking about objective facts... there's no "view" on facts, they just are.

They aren't art... they're not conveying any message or emotion, therefore, by definition, they are not art. And they are pointless, no matter what you say, unless you'd be using them for something fruithful, they are pointless. Oh, and it's not "what I deem pointless"... things either have a point or not. If you'd go through my possessions, you'd throw away a few pointless things I have lying around that I like and a couple of hats. I'm not criticizing you for liking swords, I collect dildos, for christ's sake... but you have to be able to admit to your own lifestlye, and collecting swords is pointless unless they have some sort of background (which, if they did, you wouldn't be able to afford). Nothing wrong with it being pointless, though. :) People have to stop saying "the way I see it" and "what I deem" and "my view on it is" when talking about objective facts... there's no "view" on facts, they just are.

You can't talk objectively about what art is. Sometimes the most pathetic paintings that consist of a few lines are considered art. You can't objectively say "this weapon was crafted without thought and there is no meaning behind it". The hell do you know if that's the case?

It's as if you have a problem with discussing subjective things, and thus must categorise everything as objective.

My opinions of weapons - I question the thought processes of the collector, since I see it no differently to Americans who find 'beauty' in guns. It's kind of wacky, but I have collected things like cards in the past, so each to their own.

ok, so if a sword isnt art, how come stainless steel ones are made? they arnt designed for combat, they are rather delicate and there only purpouse is to hang on a wall for admiration.

as for conveying no emotion or message, i could not dissagree with you more. for milenia, the sword was the symbol of kings and warriors, adorning flags and emblams. the sword is one of the great images of power.

as for no fruithful use, im sorry, you can claim your word as law but that simply is opinion. i could go out and use the sword to kill people, would that be fruithful? im displaying them, displaying part of my own individuality, and in many cases, giving friends and family an insight into the weapons, how they were used and the people who used them (only if they ask mind, dont want to be "that" guy)

I think you need to seriously ask yourself what "art" really is.

well, the point is, a stainless steel sword is not a sword, its an ornament. stainless stell does not work for swords,t he metal is too weak to work on anything over 13"(ish). the stainless steel swords are not full, or even half tang, meaning bassicly, they would break on contact with anything solid.

the stainless steel sowrd must, there fore be for purly decorative purpouses.

I bought my swords to display, I think of them as art. People can try and tell me otherwise but it wouldnt matter. If i bought them to look at and I get the enjoyment out of that then for me its art.

i would agree. also, if you look at some of the traditionaly made japanese swords, they truly are art. examples ive seen (a couple first hand) were truly breath taking

Great stuff. Are they made out of aluminium?

carbon steel.

You can't talk objectively about what art is. Sometimes the most pathetic paintings that consist of a few lines are considered art. You can't objectively say "this weapon was crafted without thought and there is no meaning behind it". The hell do you know if that's the case?

It's not the meaning or thought behind it, it's the meaning and thought it conveys that makes something art. I can't talk objectively about what art is? Explain why.

ok, so if a sword isnt art, how come stainless steel ones are made? they arnt designed for combat, they are rather delicate and there only purpouse is to hang on a wall for admiration.

as for conveying no emotion or message, i could not dissagree with you more. for milenia, the sword was the symbol of kings and warriors, adorning flags and emblams. the sword is one of the great images of power.

as for no fruithful use, im sorry, you can claim your word as law but that simply is opinion. i could go out and use the sword to kill people, would that be fruithful? im displaying them, displaying part of my own individuality, and in many cases, giving friends and family an insight into the weapons, how they were used and the people who used them (only if they ask mind, dont want to be "that" guy)

I never said swords aren't beautifull, but you're making a huge confusion out of things: ornaments are not necessarilly art, beauty is meaningless, without meaning, it's not art, better yet, the richest art is usually quite unnatractive, visually. It's an image of power, a symbol, not a messenger, not an excercise in power, just a reminder of it's existence, a tool to be made into art when in the right place, on it's own, it's as meaningfull as a toothpick. It's still fucking beuatifull, yes, but it has no artictic value.

On the whole usefullness thing, you're clearly grabbing at straws to justify your whole personality lacunas, when you don't need to.

I'm human too, I'd love to have a room full of swords and guns just to make myself happy, but I refuse to endulge on such meaningless pursuits (and believe me, I'd love to) because above my opinion (as you so clearly stated, my opinion is simply opinion, and as much as I love semi-automatic rifles and chainsaws, there's no denying the fact that they are pointless) stand facts, and I'm a fan of self improvement, so when my opinion clashes with fact, I unvalidate it. And the fact is, it's a meanigless hobby.

Now, if you ask me, the person, your swords are awesome, I love that Falchion, it's completely fucking awesome and badass. But my love resides with more carnificine-oriented weapons, chainsaws especially. :D

But I know I'm a git for liking that, it's a flaw of mine. Much like my hate of Rolling Stones or my love for Klaxons, my opinion is secondary to the overall fact. Rolling Stones were a fantastic band, no matter how much I may deny it and hate them (and trust me, I really really hate them).

well, the point is, a stainless steel sword is not a sword, its an ornament. stainless stell does not work for swords,t he metal is too weak to work on anything over 13"(ish). the stainless steel swords are not full, or even half tang, meaning bassicly, they would break on contact with anything solid.

the stainless steel sowrd must, there fore be for purly decorative purpouses.

Ornaments seldom are art.

I bought my swords to display, I think of them as art. People can try and tell me otherwise but it wouldnt matter. If i bought them to look at and I get the enjoyment out of that then for me its art.

That's pretty selfish. I mean, I love swords too and get a great enjoyment out of contemplating them, but saying "for me, it's art" and "people can try and tell me otherwise but it wouldn't matter" is completely selfish, what does what you think matter? It either is art or not, regardless of what you think, how can you be so self absorbed that you deny objectiveness in order to validate your shortcomings? Seriously, I love swords, but I know I'm mistaken for considering them art, as far as I'm concerned, they are art, but I know that it's my own personality's fault for being so, I have no problem admitting to my own limitations. Come on, let's all be a little less self-centered, shall we?

You write off 'beauty' as meaningless. That's where your argument is wrong.

Of course it's meaningless! Beauty is an extra... it can never transcend physicall limitations! Would Ghandi have been a greater man if he were better looking? Would Guernica be better if it was more beautifull?

Physicall beauty is meaningless, and that's a solid hard fact! Now, beauty can be a conceptual thing, much like in Guernica's case... it's full of beauty, but none of it physicall, all of it conceptual.

well, seeing as how this art debate seems to have hit some what of a stalemate, as it usualy does, we should probebly let it go for now. my opinion is as unlikly to waver as oxigen's, so rather then arguing im going to get back to the subject of swords.

Please do, I'm sorry for any sidetracking. : peace:

I wouldn't say it was meaningless collecting swords. Chris_the_great obvoiusly gets enjoyment from it. I would deem that a meaningful reason for collecting them.

On the topic of swords I have a replica Claymore. I would like to collect swords but, I don't for some reason.

That's pretty selfish. I mean, I love swords too and get a great enjoyment out of contemplating them, but saying "for me, it's art" and "people can try and tell me otherwise but it wouldn't matter" is completely selfish, what does what you think matter? It either is art or not, regardless of what you think, how can you be so self absorbed that you deny objectiveness in order to validate your shortcomings? Seriously, I love swords, but I know I'm mistaken for considering them art, as far as I'm concerned, they are art, but I know that it's my own personality's fault for being so, I have no problem admitting to my own limitations. Come on, let's all be a little less self-centered, shall we?

From what i gather, art is defined as when someone calls something art and has a reason to do so.

Its you oppinion that your trying to show as fact again, and smiting his oppinion.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!