NEurope
Charlie

The University Thread 08/09

haha, some of the stuff if you forget you can obtain in the first week anyway, I plan to do that on sunday that I've moved in if I need to.

alolt of kitchen stuff you should probably avoid buying too much of. someone will be able to provide any you miss, and any proper gaps you can fill as a group.

I've received a Scholarship of £1800 for the year from Warwick because I'm so awesome. Yay for free monies!

Heh, I got £2,800 and then another £500 in grants, woo free money :P

Just checked. My first payment is on 22nd September. Good thing I have my own money as my rent is due next Wednesday.

Ah, this brings back memories of 3 years ago. I hadn't a clue what to do on the first day of the university starting, and sort of luckily managed to do everything I was supposed to. Fun times. :)

Just finished enrolling online at my Uni (Aston). Should be expecting my laptop to be delivered sometime this week too! yay!

Need to photocopy some important letters etc and then I really need to do some shopping and really start to prepare for Uni!

EDIT: Just sorted my student account too! awaiting new debit card...

Just finished enrolling online at my Uni (Aston). Should be expecting my laptop to be delivered sometime this week too! yay!

Need to photocopy some important letters etc and then I really need to do some shopping and really start to prepare for Uni!

EDIT: Just sorted my student account too! awaiting new debit card...

If you open an account at NatWest they usually give you a 5 year 16-24 railcard (the new name for young person's railcard). Can be really useful for students, I know I use it a lot.

So who's moving to Sheffield?

suckers.

I kid! Just... don't live on London Road. Don't even go there, if you can help it.

I was getting rdy to go to uni 4 years ago. It was nerve wracking as hell. But sooooo exciting at the same time. Aww I miss the uni life

________

CLASSACTION LAWSUIT

Edited by fex

If you open an account at NatWest they usually give you a 5 year 16-24 railcard (the new name for young person's railcard). Can be really useful for students, I know I use it a lot.

Yeh I know, but Halifax offer a £3000 overdraft. :heh::smile:

I wouldn't trust myself with £3k which is why my overdraft is £500 and even then I wouldn't want to touch it as tempting as it is.

I've managed without an overdraft for 2 years of uni :)

me 2! well ive only been at uni for one year!

my account doesnt let me have an overdraft so its all gooood

I've managed without an overdraft for 2 years of uni :)

I've managed without an overdraft (well it exists, I just don't use it. Kinda like the Midlands apparently) and using my loan for two years. I win more :p

Yeah I can't quite comprehend those people who think of an overdraft as free money. Yes, in case of emergency its great but don't think "Hey thats an extra £1,000!" (and speaking of apparently my overdraft is £1,600 in the third year. Blimey!)

Glad I read this today. Was reminded that I need to sort out my student account and my student railcard for travelling to and from uni each day. Railcard is easy enough to sort out but the student account will take a little longer to decide upon, although the NatWest deal sounds go.

I've managed without an overdraft (well it exists, I just don't use it. Kinda like the Midlands apparently) and using my loan for two years. I win more :p

Same, except the first year I spent my loan on a new pc and ridiculous things. :(

Same, except the first year I spent my loan on a new pc and ridiculous things. :(

I am tempted to buy a little TV for my room....:shakehead :shakehead

I don't understand why people with student overdrafts aren't always in them?

I am constantly in mine (I left uni a year ago) It's interest free, so I take the money out of my account and put it in my savings account where is earns interest. Free money, a no brainer really.

________

THE IOLITE

Edited by fex

Am I right or wrong in thinking that can give you a bad credit rating for the future, though?

No as long as you don't go over the agreed limit your fine.

And with interest rates as high as they are atm you should be making around 7%. I've made well over £100 in interest this year with help thanks to my overdraft.

suckers.

I kid! Just... don't live on London Road. Don't even go there, if you can help it.

C'mon, there are so many worse places to live then london road. Live in Broomhill tho, tis the the best area ever.

Manner Top. I drove through there once and there was a shop surrounded by barbed wire walls.

The interest rate is 3.8% which is better than any loan out there but is far from ideal.

I think the standard repayment rate for current loans is between 4.3%-4.5%... shocking, really.Supposed to go hand-in-hand with inflation (lies!) but will most likely continue to stay level, or even rise if there's to be a recession.

That is a good point actually, but it's still damn expensive considering it's just a copy cat, granted it taste nice..that's one thing I need to find in sheffield a good butchers. I'm too used to mum going to butcher rather than the processed crap we can get.

There's a meat market in sheffield at the bottom of wossitroad... er, that big road in front of Hallam? Cripes I realy ought to know...

My houses were all fine - just studenty. A house is just where you sleep, although I can see for some that it would be a part of the experience, for me I just wanted to spend as little money as possible on a place that I spent so little time in. I've just done a quick search and can see that the cheaper student lets in Newcastle now go for about £40 per week, but then I'd assume that loans have also gone up.

Ah! And you're talking about newcastle, too :P

Make sure you buy a decent printer. A mate and I decided to buy a really cheap one together. It cost £20 and it would work well, but, a new black ink cartridge was £11 and colour was even more expensive and because we didn't refil the colour it would pop up with notices all the time saying it was empty which got annoying.

Buy a decent one and ink cartridges will be so much cheaper.

Consider refilling cartridges. usually costs around £7?

suckers.

To be fair I think where we live is decent enough. Definitely cheaper than eccles and co.

Great... Got my loan award notice through this morning. £890. Down from £2400 last year because it's worked out on last years income for your parents which was more than the year before but this year my dad isn't even going to be working!

Argh!

shit dude, that's awful. I realised mine's 'down' because we only get two installments in the last year. You going to cope at all?