NEurope
Charlie

The University Thread 08/09

Ok I have a question for those at Uni at the moment. I'm looking at Continuing Student accommodation with my Uni and was just wondering what some of you guys and gals are paying for what I assume is a 39 week lease on a flat. Trying to guage whether what I'd be paying is an alright price or not. My Uni is asking for £4119.57 for a 39 week lease (about £106 a week which isn't bad) but I'm looking to get a 52 week lease starting June 5th and going through until June 6th 2010 and if I work it out in terms of how much it costs per week, the total for the 52 weeks is £5492.76 which seems quite hefty but it is for a whole year and all rooms are pretty big and have an en suite. Just wondering if anyone can give me comparison figures for their Uni so that I can work out whether it's worth it at that price.

I'm not sure what city / uni your at but those prices are high. Thats more rent than I pay (£425 per month) for a 2 bedroom flat in a converted mill. I've seen 3 bedroom houses to rent for around £450 per month which is what your paying.

Yeh it seems a bit expensive especially for accommodation offered by the University itself. I'm sure I could get a cheaper flat on my own but seeing as I didn't do the typical student thing this year and stayed at home to commute I'd like to try the whole communal Uni living thing. I will say it is cheaper than where I would have been staying had I gone to Uni in Aberdeen (I'm at Uni in Dundee).

Ok I have a question for those at Uni at the moment. I'm looking at Continuing Student accommodation with my Uni and was just wondering what some of you guys and gals are paying for what I assume is a 39 week lease on a flat. Trying to guage whether what I'd be paying is an alright price or not. My Uni is asking for £4119.57 for a 39 week lease (about £106 a week which isn't bad) but I'm looking to get a 52 week lease starting June 5th and going through until June 6th 2010 and if I work it out in terms of how much it costs per week, the total for the 52 weeks is £5492.76 which seems quite hefty but it is for a whole year and all rooms are pretty big and have an en suite. Just wondering if anyone can give me comparison figures for their Uni so that I can work out whether it's worth it at that price.

Thats expensive. I'm paying £330 a month for my house next year, and thats one of the more expensive ones for my area

I'm trying to work out where the extra money is going. I know all of the flats available to continuing students are all en suites and, as I've said, pretty big (think about 13 or 15 foot in area) but that really shouldn't affect the price per month. Dundee's not even an expensive city in terms of buying or renting. ::shrug: Meh, I'll keep looking at it but I think I'll probably go with their accommodation just because I haven't done the communal living thing and would like to. And it's not me paying for it anyway. It'll be the parents. :D

Communal living is something you shouldn't miss out on :) Are you Scottish? Maybe they are trying to gain their money by overcharging for accommodation since you don't pay university fees (as far as I'm aware?).

Perhaps that's it. I've read what the price includes and its all utilities and internet charges but perhaps they've stuck the prices higher for the reason you suggested. Just very strange for them to do it though seeing as they still get money for tuition even if I don't have to pay it personally.

Thats expensive. I'm paying £330 a month for my house next year, and thats one of the more expensive ones for my area

Lol, was gonna say, that must be bloody expensive for your area! It's not exactly Lower Earley...lol j/k ;)

Lol, was gonna say, that must be bloody expensive for your area! It's not exactly Lower Earley...lol j/k ;)

I have no idea whether you mean Lower Earley is the rich part or the slums? I have no idea about Reading, all I know is I like the town, I like the clubs but I don't like paying monaaaay.

I'm paying about £150 a month for rent, was paying £225 last year. In my first year it was around £3200 bills included for teh 39-week year.

I don't know why people ever pay more, to be honest.

I have no idea whether you mean Lower Earley is the rich part or the slums? I have no idea about Reading, all I know is I like the town, I like the clubs but I don't like paying monaaaay.

Lower Earley is (without sounding stuck up) one of the nicer areas, I wouldn't say it's rich, but you'd probably struggle to find a house under £200k (or not given the current financial crisis!). Just avoid the likes of Whitley and to some extent, Tilehurst. They're not particularly desirable. Your area's alright though, you're slapbang right in the middle of a pretty large asian community with plenty of shops and that wonderful park :D

I couldn't agree more about the clubs, however they're far too pricey. I tend to stick to the likes of the Hope Tap, O'Neills and the Purple Turtle (although I've now decided to stop visiting there...)

I'm paying about £150 a month for rent, was paying £225 last year. In my first year it was around £3200 bills included for teh 39-week year.

I don't know why people ever pay more, to be honest.

Because we have to...

We pay £550 (ergo £275 each) a month for a 2 bedroom flat which is a bit bigger than yours. But £550 was in the cheaper end of 2 bedroom flats/houses around here.

Communal living is something you shouldn't miss out on :) Are you Scottish? Maybe they are trying to gain their money by overcharging for accommodation since you don't pay university fees (as far as I'm aware?).

Nah it won't be that because the uni still gets the money, just not from you. SAAS pay it for you.

Oh joy.

I sent my UCAS later that a lot of people. As, in about 3+ weeks ago.

I was wondering why I'd not got any sort of confirmation of my UCAs application yet, and kept going onto the site itself, wondering if maybe the confirmation would be there (from the colleges/unis I mean).

Then I read the tiny print that said it was being looked over by the coordinator or whatever its called. I.e a teacher at school.

I'd bet a zillion squids that what I sent off is sent to the coordinators school e-mail, not their personal one. Great. So I've basically ballsed up my UCAS.

I technically don't mind, as I want to go to Leith School Of Art anyway (direct application, not through UCAS), but I was going to apply for deferred entry to Dundee...

^ why apply for a deferred place at Dundee? You could probably get in based on what I've seen of your work. Leith is talked up a bit too much for what it is. As we went to the same school I know the art department loves to push Leith as an option onto all of its students who they deemed not ready to attend a true university for art but its really not necessary to go there. I will say though that Dundee's art department is good and doesn't get enough credit for it.

^ why apply for a deferred place at Dundee? You could probably get in based on what I've seen of your work. Leith is talked up a bit too much for what it is. As we went to the same school I know the art department loves to push Leith as an option onto all of its students who they deemed not ready to attend a true university for art but its really not necessary to go there. I will say though that Dundee's art department is good and doesn't get enough credit for it.

Don't worry I know it all, the school's attitude etc. It's a personal choice. I don't feel like I'm grounded in what I want to do or even how, art-wise. Sure the first year at dundee is a general year, and sort of meant for that, but I like the "scruffiness" of Leith school of art...and I'd like to think it would help solidify my base (lol I like that phrase) in terms of a style or whatever. I don't have one. I'm just generally confused and unfocused.

So yeah, personal choice. Most people have said i'd be fine at Dundee, and they're probably right, but the world won't end if I go a year later, I say :grin:

Also, the school didn't tell me to go to Leith. :awesome: I guess I'm just brilliant enough to avoid that suggestion (I know some people who were suggested it). :sad:

^ Your lucky then as quite a lot of my year got it suggested to them in sixths. I didn't get it mentioned to me but then I made it clear that it wasn't art I'd be studying hence why I spent my last year drawing buildings and for some reason painting on my hand (::shrug: don't ask. Was fun though. Weirded out the teachers).

Don't worry I know it all, the school's attitude etc. It's a personal choice. I don't feel like I'm grounded in what I want to do or even how, art-wise. Sure the first year at dundee is a general year, and sort of meant for that, but I like the "scruffiness" of Leith school of art...and I'd like to think it would help solidify my base (lol I like that phrase) in terms of a style or whatever. I don't have one. I'm just generally confused and unfocused.

So yeah, personal choice. Most people have said i'd be fine at Dundee, and they're probably right, but the world won't end if I go a year later, I say :grin:

Also, the school didn't tell me to go to Leith. :awesome: I guess I'm just brilliant enough to avoid that suggestion (I know some people who were suggested it). :sad:

You can always just apply through UCAS again next year for Dundee, but without the deferral part.

So after having my UCAS LOST by my administrator, having Edinburgh decide to grudgingly let me have an interview, and then apparently they thought I chose it as a second choice (unless you put them first, they don't consider you), I found out today I didn't get in.

I don't mind, It wasn't like I desperately wanted to got there, but it's a knock to my confidence (which I have none of).

So after having my UCAS LOST by my administrator, having Edinburgh decide to grudgingly let me have an interview, and then apparently they thought I chose it as a second choice (unless you put them first, they don't consider you), I found out today I didn't get in.

I don't mind, It wasn't like I desperately wanted to got there, but it's a knock to my confidence (which I have none of).

I don't think the uni's get to see what order you put them in choice-wise, do they? At least that's what we were told...

Apparently they do. It's why Newcastle wouldn't even give me an interview when I was applying because I put them as my second choice. Sucks really.

Wow, these universities are sure acting like children.

It's Route B.

They do. Route A (most people applying to Uni) is just any order. Route B/Art is preference based.