N-Europe

Heavy Rain

Daft

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It annoys me when the same people who lambaste the surplus of shooters and racers also have a go at MGS. It's one game that is very different.

Don't like it; don't play it.

I'm excited about Heavy Rain because it looks like it'll have a story with a bit of depth and detail.

It annoys me when the same people who lambaste the surplus of shooters and racers also have a go at MGS. It's one game that is very different.

yeah, people who havent played it say "its not a game, its just 5 movies together" yet i seem to recall playing rather alot.

as for saying heavy rain isnt really a game, we are on a nintendo forum for christ sake, if any company is guilty of relasing non games its nintendo.

personaly, im interested to see how the large amount of decision making plays off, and just how much the story will change between outher peoples experences.

My small take at MGS was just to illustrate the lack of actual gameplay in this. Seriously, I even like QTE, but can't they show anything more substantial and less context dependent? The part with the glasses was kinda cool but if this game wasn't so graphic intensive no one would give a shit.

I think the Quantic Dream's reputation would mean this game would always have attracted interest.

I'm not sure what you mean by substantial. The game is basically a modern point and click adventure game. I pretty sure that's all there is to it, but the decisions you take will have a big effect on how the story plays out.

They're going to show three more characters and apparently they all work differently so it's probably best to just hold off judgement a bit.

Edit: What Diageo said. :heh:

I think the Quantic Dream's reputation would mean this game would always have attracted interest.

I'm not sure what you mean by substantial. The game is basically a modern point and click adventure game. I pretty sure that's all there is to it, but the decisions you take will have a big effect on how the story plays out.

They're going to show three more characters and apparently they all work differently so it's probably best to just hold off judgement a bit.

Well not so elaborately :heh:

My small take at MGS was just to illustrate the lack of actual gameplay in this. Seriously, I even like QTE, but can't they show anything more substantial and less context dependent? The part with the glasses was kinda cool but if this game wasn't so graphic intensive no one would give a shit.

define gameplay. pheonix wright is one of my favorite games ever but all you did was essentaly click on the right thing at the right time. just because you arnt in direct controle of movement and shooting dosent mean your not playing.

i guess the graphics were a big boost for interest, but id probebly be interested in the story driven gameplay reguardless of graphics.

Then I (and I'm sure many others) was clearly under the wrong impression, what I had previously heard were more in the lines of "ground breaking" experience. Lets wait for the story then.

I still don't get that never game over thing...

If all your characters die, wouldn't that be a game over? What if you die and you don't want to lose that character because your really immersed in the story, can you restart then? Hopefully so, I don't want to have to do the whole story again just because I died at a very difficult QTE.

define gameplay. pheonix wright is one of my favorite games ever but all you did was essentaly click on the right thing at the right time. just because you arnt in direct controle of movement and shooting dosent mean your not playing.

I guess I usually expect more player interaction with the game world and less of a guided experience such as what this seems to be. To be honest, I'm surprised this game has this huge budget for something so niche.

Then I (and I'm sure many others) was clearly under the wrong impression, what I had previously heard were more in the lines of "ground breaking" experience. Lets wait for the story then.

What are you on about?

It can still be ground breaking. You seem not to know very much about the game.

How do you know how guided it is. You're comments are based on what? Hearsay?

I still don't get that never game over thing...

If all your characters die, wouldn't that be a game over? What if you die and you don't want to lose that character because your really immersed in the story, can you restart then? Hopefully so, I don't want to have to do the whole story again just because I died at a very difficult QTE.

All you characters can die and the game last about 4 hours, but if you keep them all alive it can take anything from 12 to 15 hours. However Quantic Dream said that the ending where they are alive isn't necessarily the best one.

I think, depending on the difficulty you pick, there are three levels, you get a chance to redo it. I assume on hard you don't get any chance.

Couldn't agree less. I loved Fahrenheit and ever since it was released and they said they working on a next gen title I have been waiting with baited breath. Personally the thing I am most excited about is the new UI, love how the QTE's work with the symbol being as minimalist as it can be and popping up around the screen in relation to what's happening.

This discussion reminds me a lot if the similar pre-release discussions about Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecies. And we all know what a quality game that is, even to this day.

If Heavy Rain is anything like that, we're in for an instant classic.

Oh, and despite the amounts of fun thrown at MGS4 (yes, the cutscenes can last quite a long time...), it truely is a great game.

I guess I usually expect more player interaction with the game world and less of a guided experience such as what this seems to be. To be honest, I'm surprised this game has this huge budget for something so niche.

seemed to have more player interaction and freedom then almost any outher games ive seen latly. for example, if we take somthing like uncharted, a game i loved, then the freedom to controle drake is at ends with the total lack of power over how the story progresses. you get to a certain point and somthing happens, every time, no matter what action you took, the story and world reamained the same.

looking at heavy rain, it gave the impression your choices would change the flow of the story completly. more importantly, they were choices, it wasnt just qte's, so who knows how the story could end up?

This game looks like the kind of game a lot of people wont 'get'. Much like how some people love the hell out of Shenmue whereas some people think it was pointless and crap. I'm kind of getting that feeling about this. I'm loving the look of it so far though.

However Quantic Dream said that the ending where they are alive isn't necessarily the best one.

Oh ho ho, now that tickles me. Me thinks a decision where you decide between keeping your character alive and the greater good may arise. I know i'll only play it once, but that once is a definite.

The only thing that kind of is stupid with the game is that you have to force yourself into the wrong decisions in order to see the different endings and paths. Otherwise it's looking cool.

Originally what Shino said was that it can't be a groundbreaking experience. In that case films can't be groundbreaking experiences.

I think all the doubters should go back and play Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (ignore the final act though as that's where things get really shitty plot wise, still don't quite know what they were thinking as it wrecks the game) and I think you would get much more of a sense of what this game is trying to achieve.