N-Europe

Warner Bros. delay Half Blood Prince Til July '09

Tphi

The next Potter film has been delayed from November until next July in a surprise move by Warner Bros. this evening - despite the release of the first trailer just a week or so ago. Some of you are fans of Harry Potter. Some of you aren't. Regardless, here is an astounding example of a very greedy movie studio.

In it's press release, Warner Bros. explains its reasons for the eight month delay:

“Our reasons for shifting ‘Half-Blood Prince’ to summer are twofold: we know the summer season is an ideal window for a family tent pole release, as proven by the success of our last Harry Potter film, which is the second-highest grossing film in the franchise, behind only the first installment. Additionally, like every other studio, we are still feeling the repercussions of the writers’ strike, which impacted the readiness of scripts for other films—changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move ‘Half-Blood Prince’ to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer.”

Well, at least they're not hiding the fact it's been done purely to make them more money. The sad thing is WB knows that it will piss fans off no end by doing this, but come next July knows that the same fans will still queue up in line to see it.

They aren't doing it to change the film. The film is almost completed post production already - and likely will be completely ready in time for its old November release date. They'll just hang on to it for eight months until next summer to release it.

8th film?

Yes, the last part is being made into 2 films.

--

I'm annoyed, I love the movies and was looking forward to this. Harry Potter and Winter seem to go together, not sure why. But yeah, I understand they want to make money, If I was them I'd do the same.

Yes, the last part is being made into 2 films.

--

I'm annoyed, I love the movies and was looking forward to this. Harry Potter and Winter seem to go together, not sure why. But yeah, I understand they want to make money, If I was them I'd do the same.

Oh right. I would have classed that of part 2 of the 7th film but anyway.

Guest Jordan

I'm sure the HP forums are alight with mad fans right now.

Bad move Warner, respect your user base or expect many pissed off customers.

I'm sure the HP forums are alight with mad fans right now.

Bad move Warner, respect your user base or expect many pissed off customers.

Thing is these are HP fans not WB fans. So even though people will be pissed off they will still go and see it.

Could JK Rowling intervene?

Hmm...so they're going to be even older once they film the last movie?

Oh, and i heard the Deathly Hallows was going to be a 2 part movie...is that true? Cos seriously they'll be far too old for the part then (i'm referring to Radcliffe, Watson and the other one..).

I can't see how they can make Deathly Hallows into two movies, due to how boring the book was, the majority of it just involved Harry camping around the country like a bell end.

The thing I was thinking though, was there wasn't really a logical place to stop in the middle. The book was more divided into 3rds rather than in half.

Well they cut loads of stuff out of the books in the transition to screen. No doubt they'll find a nice middle point. I bet it will end just as the camping jamboree begins, it will be dark and raining, you get a close shot of Harry looking sad and it will slowly zoom out with the theme being played slowly and depressingly.