Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

Just sorted myself tickets and coach travel for our FA Cup away match at Cardiff. Should be a really good game, a lot of hype around it because of how many tickets we got and the stand we've been given is practically all terracing.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear its a bit rough, first thing my dad said to me when I told him I was gonna go was "you'll get your fucking head kicked in". But I should be alright, going with the official club coaches, so it's a straight to the ground job.

Admit it, you would LOVE it if Spurs got relegated! Never going to happen though. With 5 easy games coming up we'll be top half by 2009!!

So erm... Can't help but notice we're 11 days into 2009 and 'arry's got your boys sitting nicely in the relegation zone. I don't think they intend on playing 'Turn the table upside down' this year.

Chin up though, because you might win the League Cup. You'll be hugging it as the sinking ship goes down.

Why don't Chelsea put players on the post on corners, surely that's defending 101!? That that I mind of course :heh:

Been fairly even although the best chances have fallen to United so they perhaps do just deserve the lead. Can't help but think that this might get spoiled by a sending off later on. Lampard, Carvalho and Ronaldo shouldn't have been booked, and even Bosingwa's booking, whilst a poor, late challenge he made very minimal contact with Rooney so perhaps that could be considered harsh as well. So as this game heats up towards the end, which it's bound to, especially if it stays this close, I can see perhaps one of those players getting a second yellow, which will probably be undeserved as well!

Hopefully we'll see a draw in that game between Man Utd and Chelsea, would really spark hope in our limited title chances.

Also haven't given my opinion on yesterdays match. Bloody chuffed for Nicklas yesterday, some bastards have turned against him recently. Shocking after the Eboue incident, it's almost like they've changed scapegoat.

Another thing that pissed me off, were people complaining about the performance. Yes we weren't amazing, but these were the same people complaining we couldn't win 'ugly'. Now that we've scrapped for two 1-0 wins in the last two games they're complaining.

And for the twunts that booed at half time, I've not got anything to say to them.

So it wasn't all that close in the end. Chelsea were poor, it has to be said and United could have scored more. In fact that did score another but Ronaldo's goal was wrongly ruled offside.

The next time Liverpool play they may not be at the top of the table. If United beat Wigan (should do since its at home) and Bolton (tricky cause its at the Reebok stadium but still winnable) then they will be a point ahead of the 'pool!

So erm... Can't help but notice we're 11 days into 2009 and 'arry's got your boys sitting nicely in the relegation zone. I don't think they intend on playing 'Turn the table upside down' this year.

Chin up though, because you might win the League Cup. You'll be hugging it as the sinking ship goes down.

Hahaha, reminds me of the chant my old youth team had. We were kind of inbetween the two divisions in skill - always top of Div2, but always bottom of Div1. So our old chant when in Div1 was "If the league was upside down then we'd be top" to the tune of "If your happy and you know it"

Never looked like losing that. Giggsy played immense in the middle of the field. Loved every minute of that match. Glad Berba got on the scoresheet too, needs it for the confidence.

Shame we didnt see Tevez or Anderson as thought in the last 15 it was screaming out for one of them to come on bursting with energy to finish off chelski even more :)

Sets us up nicely for our game in hands to hopefully take 1st place.

Manu were awesome, but I was amazed how lacking Chelsea were up front! Nothing worked for them and pretty much all of the players were poor. The only player that did well for Chelsea was Joe Cole and he was subbed off.

I don't know what the right decision is bout the first corner United scored from. It was brilliantly done, my team has used the same move. Maybe Rooney should have told the Lino, wouldn't have done any harm. Doesn't matter as they scored from the next corner. Great anticipation from Vidic, he just commited to it even though it was likely that it would be cleared away.

Drogba was comical, I think he's lost the drive to play.

It's because technically the ball wasn't stopped for the corner, Rooney rolls the ball into the quadrant and then rolls it out in one motion. Though had he lifted his foot, and then moved it, I think Howard Webb would still have disallowed it because he signalled something about his whistle, which probably meant "wait for the whistle" which they didn't anyway.

Today was a funny day, I've gone through so many emotions.

At the beginning of the day, I was well up for this, especially because United were at home. I really fancied us to give a great performance.

Then, I saw the team-sheet for the game, and my expectations dropped somewhat. First of all, I saw that Neville was playing instead of Rafael, and I was pretty worried. I figured Fergie would have gone for the pace of Rafael, and Neville hasn't been that effective this season. Then, there was Evans, as Ferdinand wasn't available. And, no Carrick, Scholes or Anderson in the middle of the field. I looked at Chelsea's teamsheet, and I was expecting them to have a right go at us. Deco, Ballack, Lampard, Joe Cole all in midfield. Drogba up front. I figured we might come out with a draw.

So, I ventured down to the pub to watch the game, and it was such a strange encounter. Chelsea had lots of the ball in the middle of the field, but did very little with it. I think they expected to pass their way through us, maybe. Then, we were pushing up, but I don't think we had enough in midfield.

Then, the disallowed goal came, and I thought it may not be our day. At first, I was cursing our players, because the replay only showed the ball being picked up a few yards from the corner flag, so I thought maybe we hadn't taken the corner from the correct spot. Then, upon seeing the whole thing, I just didn't know what to think. Rooney does stop the ball, and from the looks of it, the linesman doesn't seem to have a problem with it at all. He doesn't tell Rooney to place the ball back onto the spot when he moves away, and neither does he tell the next player to touch the ball to put the ball back either.

However, it was pretty funny that we did score about a minute later from the same corner. Great play, and a great header from Vidic. So, I guess it did take a lot of pressure off the whole "should the first goal have stood?" debate.

So, at half time, I was expecting Chelsea to have a right go at us. But, we scored a second, and it was another pretty good goal. So, by now I'm thinking..."we're 2-nil up...please don't screw this up!"

Then, the third came, and it just felt like a riot. I'm a bit peeved that the referee disallowed the fourth, as it was a perfectly fine goal. I actually did think to myself (just as Berbatov was playing the ball through - you actually see him look up and time his pass really well) "The ref is going to blow for off-side..." So, I was a little disappointed at that.

Overall though, in the first half, I just think the game struggled to get going. Chelsea had a lot of the ball, and did nothing with it, and the game felt too pedestrian at times. Then, we started to take control, conveniently right before half time, and we started to work some chances or get into advanced positions.

I doubted our midfield, but each player had a great game. Giggs did so well in the middle, and he commanded the team really well, and tracked back to make some important interventions. Fletcher does well in these sorts of games, and he did well again today. A really tough player who is never shy to give it his all. But, the man of the match in my honest opinion was Park. Always works his arse off, and he worked hard today. He's a favourite of mine, and I was pleased to see him do well today. :)

Defensively, we were solid. This is possibly one of the best defensive displays of the season for the team, and both Evans and Neville (who I had doubts for) both did well. Very well infact. But, Chelsea just seemed to not deliver today. We didn't really have that many moments of danger to deal with, they didn't really work that many chances. It was all potential but no actual product. They had the players who had the potential to do something, but they just didn't.

A big win for us. Needless to say, I'm over the fucking moon. More of this please.

Edit: Fuck, I typed a lot, but it was an interesting game, I thought.

I don't think you mentioned how Manu kept a lot of the possession Flink. They had a lot of the ball and there was a phase where they were in possession for what seemed like 5 minutes. Very crisp passing, just seemed Chelsea lacked the ideas.

I don't think you mentioned how Manu kept a lot of the possession Flink. They had a lot of the ball and there was a phase where they were in possession for what seemed like 5 minutes. Very crisp passing, just seemed Chelsea lacked the ideas.

To be honest, in the first half, I saw Chelsea keep so much of the ball, and string together so many passes, but just not seem to do anything with.

We did keep a lot of the ball, but I think for a while we let them have it and just stayed tight at the back, to soak up some pressure. Like I mentioned, we started to turn the heat up right before half time.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!