NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2008/2009

Well it seems tactical football doesn't usually work out considering there were so few spanish teams getting further than english teams ;)

As for your relentless comments about Chelski, kihilafah.. we only lost out on the last minute whereas Man U lost it after the first 10minutes!

I'm not saying Man U didn't do well tonight, they did okay. Just not their usual selves which I think was all down to losing that first goal and Barcelona's constant snapping at their heels for the ball.

Was a good match, no bad refereeing at least! I didn't hear about any violence or was there any?

What was up with ITV's coverage tonight? 75% of the time the scoreboard wasn't on at the top? It kept on flickering and stuff too?

And the commentator came out with two absolute crackers.

"The referee is Swiss, so at least he's neutral"

and

"Can you go and tell Teddy to warm up?"

Barca really did deserve to win tonight, Utd didn't turn up apart from the first 10 minutes. I'm glad I've finally seen Messi play a good game of football, eveyrone goes on about just how good he is but until tonight I've never seen him play properly because he's generally marked out of the game.

I didn't hear about any violence or was there any?

Couple of united fans stabbed last night. Probably by the "Roma Ultimos" who drive round on mopeds looking for trouble.

But the alcohol ban appears to have stopped the majority of the trouble.

its all about technique and Barca's technique is just crazy. When you have players who can keep and move the ball the way there midfield do it is such a joy to watch.

This is how football should be played. When it comes to technical ability La Liga is way ahead of the EPL.

I like the physical side of the game. Sure, everyone loves technical mastery but it doesn't always win you everything.

Arsenal?

Chelsea are a very physical side too and they do well. As are Liverpool.

I guess you just have to have aspects of both. United never had anything to match Barca tonight in neither technical ability nor physical presence. Shame as it was a final that wont be remembered imo.

What was up with ITV's coverage tonight? 75% of the time the scoreboard wasn't on at the top? It kept on flickering and stuff too?

And the commentator came out with two absolute crackers.

"The referee is Swiss, so at least he's neutral"

and

"Can you go and tell Teddy to warm up?"

Barca really did deserve to win tonight, Utd didn't turn up apart from the first 10 minutes. I'm glad I've finally seen Messi play a good game of football, eveyrone goes on about just how good he is but until tonight I've never seen him play properly because he's generally marked out of the game.

Do you watch La Liga as he has been amazing this season. The way some of the pundits kept going on about messi not scoring against british opposition (he has vs celtic) was insulting. It was like they were saying he still has something to prove.

Correct me if i am wrong but i am pretty sure ronaldo has not scored vs spanish opposition in champions leage. Funny how the pundits ignored that while they tried to put messi down :)

Tonight was pretty awful. Not even talking about the game. I watched the game in a packed pub with my good friend and some of her Spanish/Barcelona supporting friends.

Some of the English fans tonight were an absolute, utter fucking disgrace. The way they acted towards the friends of my friend were just plain wrong. If you gave Man United a goal for every time "Spanish Cunt" was said, then the match would have been a cricket score.

Not going to even comment on the game. The atmosphere ruined it for me and I'll remember that forever. The bad thing is that my housemates, also a Chelsea fan and a United fan have also tried to convince me that this is part and parcel of football, and you get this wherever you go. Sorry, I don't stand for that, football or no football. It's not right.

The match itself...like I said to my friends, Barcelona were going for three trophies in one season like we did 10 years ago. They have achieved their dream, and tonight they seemed like they wanted it more. We seemed to lack Spirit, which is what killed us. For the first 8 or 9 minutes, we looked up for it. Soon as the first goal went it, we never recovered.

..the game was so boring tonight :hmm:

I didn't really want either team to win, so I was hoping for a decent game at least.. but it wasn't to be.. also, and I may be showing some bias with this, I reckon Liverpool on the form they have shown in the last couple of months would have given Barcelona a much better game tonight (even though that wasn't a possibility due to the draw anyway.. and Liverpool going out too, of course :sad:)

I didn't really want either team to win, so I was hoping for a decent game at least.. but it wasn't to be.. also, and I may be showing some bias with this, I reckon Liverpool on the form they have shown in the last couple of months would have given Barcelona a much better game tonight (even though that wasn't a possibility due to the draw anyway.. and Liverpool going out too, of course :sad:)

It wasn't the best game, and it was not the best performance from Man United, by far. I don't even know why it didn't work. For the first 7 or 8 minutes, I was hugely optimistic. Then, the goal came, and Barcelona never looked backed. We had chances, but we didn't seem to build or dominate through that midfield. We didn't have any grit in midfield, and that is where we probably lost it.

Saying that, when anybody asks me "what did you think of last year's Champions League Final?" I'll just remember racism. It's a shame, as I'd rather remember the football, despite us losing.

I actually missed the first 10-15 minutes (I'm not sure quite how long.. ITV seemed to be having problems with displaying the time and score :heh:) so I didn't see any of match where Man United were on top.. but I was talking to my dad a minute ago and he was saying how annoyed he was getting with the Commentators saying Barcelona hadn't turned up tonight and stuff..

It appears the roles were reversed soon after..

I actually missed the first 10-15 minutes (I'm not sure quite how long.. ITV seemed to be having problems with displaying the time and score :heh:) so I didn't see any of match where Man United were on top.. but I was talking to my dad a minute ago and he was saying how annoyed he was getting with the Commentators saying Barcelona hadn't turned up tonight and stuff..

It appears the roles were reversed soon after..

Heh, the thing is as soon as the match finishes, the commentators and writers for the game all favour the winning team. When the match is happening, they'll say one thing, and then one at the end of the game.

..just been on Sky Sports looking for some reaction :heh: Something starts crawling up Ferguson just after half way through this video and the interviewer grabs it and throws it away :heh:

The video also reminded me of....

bob_coughing.jpg

: peace:

What are your views on Cardiff then? They're not an English team yet still play in the EPL.

They play in the English leagues not the Premier League (which you probably meant but who doesn't like correcting people:p) and I don't think they should but at least they weren't allowed to go straight into the top league of English football which is what would most likely happen with Celtic/Rangers.

What are your views on Cardiff then?

They're our European trip next year.

Be interested to see what our attendances are in the Championship, might help put a few myths to bed. People claim our "loyalty" is rubbish because of our sub 20,000 attendances post-war in the second division, but you have to put that into context. A number I've seen put about in the media a fair bit when claiming we don't show up when the chips are down is that we had an average gate of 16,879 in the 1990 season, but in context that was quite respectable. We were struggling in divison 2 (finishing 11th) and few teams in the second tier bettered it - only Sheff Wed and West Ham (both promoted) and Boro (who reached the play off). It was higher than seven top flight sides, Derby, Norwich, Southampton, Coventry, Q.P.R., Luton and Wimbledon. Our post war seasons in the second division were during some dark days for attendances in English football. Yes, that season we had our lowest point of under 17,000 but Crystal Palace had the third highest gates in the country (behind Liverpool and Arsenal) with about 19,500.

Edited by BlueStar

What are your views on Cardiff then? They're not an English team yet still play in the EPL.

Cardiff are one of the founding teams of the football association, it would be completely ludicrous to kick them out of our system. Especially considering they were playing football in our association before Fifa, UEFA or any other association existed. The same would be true for Queens Park FC (the only scottish team to have played in the English FA).

WTF. How could you not enjoy watching that performance by Barca dude. Some of the Football was sublime.

Jason Cundy is an idiot. How he gets paid to speak this rubbish I will never know.

http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,23791,15855_5354127,00.html

Edited by khilafah

Jason Cundy is a useless twat.

His only point is that Chelsea should have beaten them.. yet if Barcelona played in the Premier League they'd play 18 other teams to get their points.

Edited by Ramar

That was a pretty entertaining game.

As a neutral it was boring and lacked any FA Cup magic/charm, bit of a disappointment tbqh.

That was a pretty entertaining game.

I most certainly agree. Gotta say, after the first three minutes the first half was all Chelsea. Possession statistics were crazy, 70/30 at one point. When the equalizer went in, I was going ballistic, and Lampard's shot from that far out was fucking brilliant. What a match.

As a neutral it was boring and lacked any FA Cup magic/charm, bit of a disappointment tbqh.

Haha, neutral. 1. You had placed a bet on Everton winning and 2. You're an Arsenal fan and can't stand the "Chelski". No magic/charm? A goal in the first 25 seconds, setting a new record (one that Chelsea held previous ironically) and you say it lacked any magic. Laughable.

Sure is nice to have a piece of silverware this season, eh Arsena--oh wait! :smile:

The quick goal doesn't make up for traditions slipping away, there wasn't any royal representive before the game and it looked like people couldn't give a shit about abide with me.

I didn't base my opinion on the game on wanting Everton to win, everyone I watched it with thought the game was a disappointment.

And don't talk shit about silverware, you had won fuck all before Roman the moneybags entered the game.