NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2008/2009

The bright side is, if we carry on at this rate, I'll be on the short list soon.

Chelseas recent ineptness just shows how much they miss Essien really. Sacking Big Phil was a total knee jerk reaction. Seriously cant see who would want the job after the last 4 managers have been treated.

Yeah I'm MU myself but realised just afterwards what you meant.

Just saying, I've played football for pretty much all my life but I don't think I'd really get the drive to play hard if the manager couldn't communicate with me that well.

I'd some what agree, but these are professional footballers, they should know the game, in saying that a professional coach should understand how to communicate or learn to.

Chelseas recent ineptness just shows how much they miss Essien really. Sacking Big Phil was a total knee jerk reaction. Seriously cant see who would want the job after the last 4 managers have been treated.

Evenin' Noodle! Hows that trip going?

Portsmouth haven't been on the best run of form, so I'm not surprised to see Adams go. Now, I feel bad for him and the club, because he is inexperienced. As others have already said, he was thrust into the top tier far too quickly, when he should have been working in lower leagues before taking on the big-time. I only really saw him as a temporary manager, because I didn't think he was experienced enough to take charge of the side.

But, Chelsea...that's something different. This I was not expecting. So, Chelsea are not the all-singing, all-dancing team they were at the start of the season, and now Scolari has gone. If managers are cast-aside as easily as this, it's a wonder Arsene Wenger is still the Arsenal manager! ;)

In all seriousness, it's a rubbish decision. What sort of message does this send out to the fans, players and other potential managers? Basically, keep winning or you're out. You can't always win. Eventually you will have a shit run of form, but a good manager or player will take that on the chin and keep going. You get through the bad to get to the good.

I'm still outraged over the fact that Avram Grant was sacked. But then, ask yourself this: If he had provided Chelsea with the Champions League Trophy, or the Premier League, would he still be in a good today? My answer: Probably not. He was always going to go, he was doomed from the start. That is not the way you treat your manager, whoever he or she is.

Things need time to work, but clubs just seem to be giving managers less and less time nowadays. The same with players, too. The fact that Robbie Keane was bought in the summer, and sold back in the January window, with few and far between starts filling the time, it just makes you wonder what the big hurry is. I don't see how sacking your manager after January will have a positive effect on winning the league, or anything for that matter. There's not been much talk of Scolari being replaced up until now, so what purpose does it serve? The answer: More Chaos. Avram Grant's first game in charge was against Manchester United at Old Trafford (if my memory serves me correct). How the fuck was he, or the players expected to win that game? There's no common sense these days.

I'm going to have to second what Gordon Strachan said last week that managers should be under the same restrictions as players are. That they can only be sacked or hired during the transfer windows or even just during the summer. It would mean that the team have to stick with the manager they choose at the start of the season no matter what. It would offer them some protection as contracts don't seem to do that anymore.

I'm going to have to second what Gordon Strachan said last week that managers should be under the same restrictions as players are. That they can only be sacked or hired during the transfer windows or even just during the summer. It would mean that the team have to stick with the manager they choose at the start of the season no matter what. It would offer them some protection as contracts don't seem to do that anymore.

You know what, that's a great idea. I think many managers would love to see that come in.

If managers are cast-aside as easily as this, it's a wonder Arsene Wenger is still the Arsenal manager! ;)

The thing with Wenger is the board feel they owe him so much, and we probably do, he completely revolutionised the club. Not just on the field but off it.

He was instrumental in players training techniques, psychology, self analysis and diet. He stood by players like Adams, who I doubt would have reformed so well without him. He's also changed the clubs facilities, being heavily involved in the new training ground and stadium, and we've not even discussed the trophies he's won or the records he's broke.

I don't think you'll find the current board would ever sack Wenger, in fact a lot of people feel he's the man to get us out of this 'mess'. It shocking when you consider being in two of the worlds best club competitions and 5th in the top flight of football a mess. How many clubs would love to be in such a state.

The thing with Wenger is the board feel they owe him so much, and we probably do, he completely revolutionised the club. Not just on the field but off it.

He was instrumental in players training techniques, psychology, self analysis and diet. He stood by players like Adams, who I doubt would have reformed so well without him. He's also changed the clubs facilities, being heavily involved in the new training ground and stadium, and we've not even discussed the trophies he's won or the records he's broke.

I don't think you'll find the current board would ever sack Wenger, in fact a lot of people feel he's the man to get us out of this 'mess'. It shocking when you consider being in two of the worlds best club competitions and 5th in the top flight of football a mess. How many clubs would love to be in such a state.

That's the difference right there, the board. They have faith in him, and the United board show the same faith in Sir Alex. They know that if the club isn't doing that well right now, that both managers can turn it around.

You should have faith in your manager to do this. If the board don't, then the simple solution is not to hire that manager in the first place. This is the fourth manager who's left the club in few years, so they either need to take another look at their hiring process, or choose a manager, give him time and stick to it.

But it does make you wonder, why are Scolari, Grant, Mourinho (mutually parting ways) and Ranieri being shown the door, whilst Arsene Wenger is still at the club. The answer surely has to lie backstage. It also makes you wonder what sort of manager Chelsea are looking for. Would anyone want the job? I'm not sure it's such a great prospect.

I think on the pitch Chelsea have been missing players like Duff and Robben. When Mourinho first came in he had these boys and they were helping Chelsea rip teams apart- it seemed like Duff always scored in the opening five minutes! Big Phil had a good squad, but Chelsea have been lacking a cutting edge this season and I think a lot of teams are no longer afraid to have a go at them.

Scolari pretty much inherited all the players he had at his disposal. I don't really understand why abramovich would bring in a manager like scolari and not give him the financial backing he made available to mourinho.

They are definately missing essien, because he is solid. with him in place the team can just attack attack attack. the only real flair in the team at the moment is lampard and he can't be expected to produce everything.

tbh Chelsea need a massive overhaul need to get some young pacey players in and get rid of the deadwood that clearly doesn't want to be there (Drogba) Selling Robben was a big mistake especially since they replaced him with Malouda who is absolute turd.

Yeah I'd been thinking all season what you guys above said. Ranieri and Mourinho had a ton of players brought in but Big Phil has done nothing/ very minimal spending. I thought with such a high profile manager, Abramovich would have gone wild and bought him whoever he wanted. The Chelsea squad does need an overhaul. It has a good core but yeah, they need some pace, width and flair back- like Duff and Robben used to give them.

I agree that Malouda is rubbish.

Robben was a major liability with his injuries. Duff was amazing, I can't believe we sold him. We do need a wide player. I wish we still had Makelele :( Hopefully essien is back soon though :)

Righto. How long until we're playing in the Russian league instead of the English?

This match doesn't even get more entertaining when theres a goal.

The guy who took a ball the arm/elbow looks like Van Missile Boy.

Could watch Spain play all day tbh

The way the keep the ball is just brilliant, miles ahead of us it's not even fair :(

Peter Crouch has no right to call himself a footballer

Wow that game was boring and it had a bad result. Good job I spent most of the second half playing pool.

When you look at the respective starting 11's the results not really a surprise, doubt any of the England players would get in the Spain team. Starting Downing instead of Young utterly stupid though.

Peter Crouch has no right to call himself a footballer

Agreed. Its uncomfortable to watch him on the ball, his legs are longer than iniesta is high. it's like bambi on ice.

Spain were in another class to England last night. Sheringham told it like it was at half time!

On a more joyful note, Northern Ireland got the win last night. Second in our group now...!

Starting Downing instead of Young utterly stupid though.
Agreed!

and can someone file a missing persons report for Frank Lampard!