NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Shorty

ISP reccomendations?

Toucan are owned by Tiscali .

Which is the reason why I refused when they offered me cheap broadband.

As a landline supplier they haven't given me problems in the nearly two years I have been with them , anyway , its a moot point now.

Toucan are owned by Tiscali so I would stay away from them if I were you, even if it is just the phoneline.

How many companies does tiscali friggin' own now?!

Pure gutted when they took over Pipex. The hoff man is no longer cool in my eyes. Our internet went down a load of times, for weeks at a time, when they were in the midst of transferring.

As per changing... It can take a week if yer lucky and things go okay, or you can be fucked like I was and stuck with dial up for almost a year (thankfully that was a few years ago!)

It took weeks if not months to get the mac code off them so we could switch to sky, the connection for orange went down for nearly four months and they couldn't tell use why and made us pay half price to leave them.

You must pay 50quid usually to leave orange. :blank:

My friend was on Orange and for several months it didn't work whatsoever, then suddenly came back on. Shocking service really.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I'm on BE and it's terrible. I'm literally 2miles away from the exchange and I get 3mb (even though I've been told 2 is the max in my area) so that's not too bad but the worst thing is it goes down on average every ten mins for upto ten seconds before starting up again. I've spoken to their customer services about six times now and they've come to the conclusion that I need to open up my phone socket, connect directly to something and test it that way, having done this I got exactly the same problem and so they said it must be my phone line being too old. Having questioned this and having asked for this to be sorted (as previous connections worked fine) they said it was nothing to do with them.

When I called BT and spoke to them they sent an engineer out (1month later) and he said everything was fine and that it was BE's fault. I called again and they said I never get any down time (yet I do) so they couldn't solve the problem at their end. As you can imagine, this was really annoying as previous ISP's worked fine - I've yet to get an answer from two more e-mails sent to them so I'm going to change at the end of next month.

Havnig had a scout online in some forums I'm not the only one to have experienced such a thing and although there are plenty of people who are happy with them I'm obviously not one of them. Totally terrible.

To be honest I think I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that you're significantly in the minority there tapedeck. Heard too many good things and I've kind of got my heart set on it now. Just found out it's a hefty £70 to leave talktalk before the 18mo contract is up, though. Ouch.

But I would suggest switching in your case! Maybe you could even go to the company I'm leaving: talk talk, their service is 8mb, not really had a problem with downtime and including their most basic line rental package is only £16.39 (so you're not paying £10.50/mo to bt on top of that). The main reason I want to move from talktalk to Be is the possibility of 24mb, but if you can't get that, there are much cheaper options....

I can give you two pieces of advice: avoid AOL like the plague, and O2 are awesome.

Sky - it's free and good!

Only if you have Sky already, unlike me, many others, and definitely any Uni students.

Sky make you use their own shitty router, otherwise I think they're alright.

My friend was on Orange and for several months it didn't work whatsoever, then suddenly came back on. Shocking service really.

Very, though we couldn't wait 7months to get it back.

O2 / Be Unlimited has set an enablement date of 30/10/2008 for the Aberdeen Denburn exchange

YESSSSSSSSSS. Fucking finally. I'm paying £94 a month for Unlimited 8Mb right now.

O2 / Be Unlimited has set an enablement date of 30/10/2008 for the Aberdeen Denburn exchange

YESSSSSSSSSS. Fucking finally. I'm paying £94 a month for Unlimited 8Mb right now.

Why.....that's over a thousand pounds a year.. absolute madness :heh:

Just requested my MAC from Orange, hoping it will arrive on Friday so I can sign up to O2 and get my £5 discount from my new iPhone contract :yay:

Good luck with orange, whoever mentioned sky is a nutter, end of story (this also includes my mother).

Been with virgin media for a week now, and my impressions so far are pretty good. However, the priorities they set piss me off. Youtube isnt much faster than my 2mb connection was (its no 10mb), im still getting buffered on many video's.

But other than that and the throttling issue (It helps if you use the schedule options on torrenting software if this affects you), I'd very much reccomend it.

EDIT: I take that back, I've been throttled for no apparent reason. 10mb has now gone about about 3, no attached devices other than myself, wasnt even in during restricted hours. What a bunch of wankers.

Been with virgin media for a week now, and my impressions so far are pretty good. However, the priorities they set piss me off. Youtube isnt much faster than my 2mb connection was (its no 10mb), im still getting buffered on many video's.

But other than that and the throttling issue (It helps if you use the schedule options on torrenting software if this affects you), I'd very much reccomend it.

EDIT: I take that back, I've been throttled for no apparent reason. 10mb has now gone about about 3, no attached devices other than myself, wasnt even in during restricted hours. What a bunch of wankers.

Yup, oh and don't warez... or you'll get a lovely letter from the BPI. "Hey, we're cocks, we have no evidence to suggest you've been downloading some shit music. Money plz or fuck off."

Yup, oh and don't warez... or you'll get a lovely letter from the BPI. "Hey, we're cocks, we have no evidence to suggest you've been downloading some shit music. Money plz or fuck off."

Haha, considering I've only recently went with Virgin (By force, AOL cable members are put through to Virgin now), this'd be entertaining.

Long live warez.

Sign in to follow this