Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Shenmue for Wii

Ren of Heavens

The cost of the game was huge. No wonder for the constant delays/engine redesign etc. If they intended for a DreamCast release from th beginning it would of been quicker to release.

Though it wasn't just Shenmue that struggled to pull in users, the DreamCast struggled as a whole.

You have one flaw in your logic at the end. A load of 3rd party games don't hit any critea for a sequel :heh:

Hence your generic crap.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sega is loosing a lot of money at the moment. Re-releasing some overlooked games is a lot cheaper and less risky than making whole new games. I'm the first to admit that Shenmue is not for everyone. But the Wii install base will soon reach 30 million, so even with only 1% interested they will have decent sales (300k+).

What is worrying though is if the Wii gets screwed over as its happening alot with 3rd parties. If Sega release the first 2 games on the Wii and it does well and creates more buzz for Shenmue then Sega may stab Wii owners in the back and put the final part on 360/PS3. Im not saying it will happen just saying looking at the trend of 3rd parties recently it really is a possible scenario.

Lots of SEGA workers love NiGHTS' date=' it didn't exactly make a brilliant selling game. Shenmue really is of little relevence to the company and there's no need at all for it to be kept alive.[/quote']This is a port, the NiGHTS port for the PS2 is dandy.

Besides, that's Sonic Team, this is AM2.

I have no idea what relevence that blog has to adding weight to the theory but even that says its very unlikely.
The quoted part were supposedly the facts, the rest was his opinion.

If it's not likely... well, it's to a certain extent up to us to make it so.

What is worrying though is if the Wii gets screwed over as its happening alot with 3rd parties. If Sega release the first 2 games on the Wii and it does well and creates more buzz for Shenmue then Sega may stab Wii owners in the back and put the final part on 360/PS3. Im not saying it will happen just saying looking at the trend of 3rd parties recently it really is a possible scenario.
That is a worry, but then Sega maybe taking a risk if they choose to do that, as the same market of Wii owners that bought the Wii port may not be there on the 360/PS3.

That is a worry, but then Sega maybe taking a risk if they choose to do that, as the same market of Wii owners that bought the Wii port may not be there on the 360/PS3.

Agreed. It does make sense that if they were to release 1 and 2 on the Wii then if they did decide to make 3 it would also be on the Wii. Then again this is the gaming world and money can make developers do stupid things.

I think Will' is spot on; small number of Dreamcast owners, smaller number of Shenmue players. I think the best analysis is to see how Shenmue 2 faired on the Xbox. Thats the version that bored me out of my mind. With games like GTA with such incredible scope and openess, Shenmue just feels incredibly linear and the child's play voice overs don't help as well.

I think Sega will be actually making a big mistake in re-re-releasing this if they think it will actually sell to the heights of RE4 Wii Edition or even Okami.

They could change the name to Shenmue Training and sell them like hotcakes.

I agree with the GTA comment though. Shenmue should feel pretty stiff by now in comparison, despite my love for it on the DC

The fanbase for this title is massive!

I don't think anything could be futher from the truth I'm afraid.

A re-release of Shenmue would be ideal, but I doubt it would get any more sales than it did the first time around, no matter what system it's released on. 99% of the sales would be from people who already own the first two to begin with.

There's just no room for games to be interesting and expensive like Shenmue, unfortunately.

Please let this be true. Please....?

I don't think you could say Shenmue has a massive fanbase, but it's certainly passionate and I would imagine it would be enough to support a move like this onto the Wii for starters. I would keel over if this happened. I think it would make my gaming year!

I think this'll just be the do or don't for Shenmue III. If the first 2 don't sell well on the Wii, the cheapest to develop for and the biggest userbase, then Shenmue III won't sell and SEGA won't bother funding a 3rd game. Then if it does sell, use that money to finance and finish the series.

However, if it sells more than the amount on DreamCast, they really should have a decent profit. If it's a port, developments costs will be low so more profit so more likely a 3rd.

We should start a Shenmue campaign like for Zack and Wiki to help it sell well. The series needs to get finished.

I think this'll just be the do or don't for Shenmue III. If the first 2 don't sell well on the Wii, the cheapest to develop for and the biggest userbase, then Shenmue III won't sell and SEGA won't bother funding a 3rd game. Then if it does sell, use that money to finance and finish the series.

However, if it sells more than the amount on DreamCast, they really should have a decent profit. If it's a port, developments costs will be low so more profit so more likely a 3rd.

If the first two were coming out, this is exactly how a desicion on the 3rd would be made.

I think it's what SEGA are doing. They could be giving Shenmue and it's fans a chance to have the sequel they've bene waiting for.

This way, we'll finally know if Shenmue III will ever happen instead of not knowing. Sells then yes a sequel, if it doesn't, we'll never see the end of Shenmue.

Companies don't release games to give the fans a chance of a sequael, they do it to make money. New Shenmues are very unlikey to make any money and so they won't be released. I'd love remakes of 1 and 2 on the Wii and I'd be over the moon if a 3rd one came out. The sad fact is it just is not going to happen.

I didn't mean that was the only reason. They could be seeing the demand for Shenmue and port it over to the Wii cheaply, if it sells, big profit, keep some profit, keep some for Shenmue III, make it, sell and some more profit.

You shouldn't state it as fact so early on. I think that re-makes/ports will happen. There's been hints regarding Shenmue anyway.

There's been hints on a new Shenmue since the release of the last game - it still hasn't materialised. Nothing of any substance has ever come out of SEGA apart from them saying over and over that its not in production. If there was anything credible behind these rumours then it might be possible, as it is I'd say its pretty safe to bet on it not coming out.

In the last year there's been hints and rumours about a re-incarnation. SEGA and Yu Suzuki have said that Shenmue III hasn't been in production, no-ones ever asked about ports or remakes so far, and SEGA have said that they're aware of the demand for a Shenmue sequel.

Too make things more heated, i'll say your bet is wrong for now. By all means you might be right and I don't want to sound like the guy that says the opposite to annoy you, it might not for all I know.

We've had the rumour from this magazine along with the surfergirl rumour, SEGA are bringing back their older franchises for the Wii and even done some on the Cube, SEGA said that Shenmue would be good on the Cube, they could of released it for it and all, but it didn't have a big base.

Just need to see what happens in the crazy gaming world.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!