NEurope
Ren of Heavens

Shenmue for Wii

The best news in gaming world yet!!!

I hope it is true!

An if it is,I would actually buy 3 copies!!!: peace: : peace:

bring it on Sega (I do wish they really improve the graphics and textures though).

Now, I'd say we should make a ruckus, so more places notice this :D we have to make a impact, because even if it's not true we should show interest.

e-mailing IGN about this so they talk about it on their podcast would be a good way of not letting it die, for example.

^ Who knows, we here in N-Europe were talking about this a few days ago, there seems to be some buzz.

Much as I'd love it to happen it won't. This rumour has come from the fact there's been a few recent ports and remakes and concluded that Shenmue is on the way. Not very solid ground for a re-release and not the best choice of game to get out there.

Much as I'd love it to happen it won't. This rumour has come from the fact there's been a few recent ports and remakes and concluded that Shenmue is on the way. Not very solid ground for a re-release and not the best choice of game to get out there.
There was also this a few months ago:

I heard something back in March or April about a Shenmue title for Wii' date=' but I have not heard anything since about it[/quote']Fonte: http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2007/11/for-various-people-who-do-not-read.html

It should be on Sega's best interest to keep the game alive at least, not to mention a lot of Sega workers must love this franchise.

Oh, BTW, if this comes to be... I hope they keep japanese audio, or at least dual language!

There's games out already that people thought wouldn't happen or reports where fake. Why not this?

Oh god YES. Please let it be true. I will tell everyone, no, force everyone I know that has a Wii to get this. More sales the more likely a sequel.

The Wii has a huge base and the Shenmue fanbase has grown, even if it's slightly, over the years with much folk talking, passing game on to others, deep theories and speculation of a sequel.

Make it happen :D

Oh god YES. Please let it be true. I will tell everyone, no, force everyone I know that has a Wii to get this. More sales the more likely a sequel.

The Wii has a huge base and the Shenmue fanbase has grown, even if it's slightly, over the years with much folk talking, passing game on to others, deep theories and speculation of a sequel.

Make it happen :D

^ Listen to this man, Sega.

Even if realistically one alone can do little, so Sega must put their game out there and make it sell, with buzz and whatnot... Point is there should be nothing on the Wii holding sales back (being a port it can be very cost effective, unlike any HD endeavor), as long as they do it like they should, a definite Shenmue 1 and 2 release (perhaps one at a time instead of bundling both?) with much improved graphics. for me... Shenmue is for Sega... what Zelda is for Nintendo; we should have the right userbase for it, providing the game is well promoted.

With the right advertising for Shenmue, on Wii adverts, site banners (this site will have one if it's true), to spread the word, it can do well.

If they bundle it then ace, if they sell it seperatly, then more money to invest in the 3rd.

...So?

Shenmue was great back in the day being one of the first of its kind but going back to it now, the whole things feels 'rusty'. Needs to be remastered and not just in controls.

And COME ON man! Its the same old lazy story of old ports, new waggle tossed onto the Wii...But you guys will still drool over it and self-extort yourselfs buying it. Pitiful.

Pft are you kidding? It's still better than most games out there. I could og back and play it and easily think it still stands stong compared to other titles like Mario 64 and OOT.

I won't believe it until I actually have a copy in my hands.

If it comes out I will seriously buy five copies, and take a photo as proof.

Pft are you kidding? It's still better than most games out there. I could og back and play it and easily think it still stands stong compared to other titles like Mario 64 and OOT.

What exactly is it about Shenmue that gives you this impression? :hmm:

It should be on Sega's best interest to keep the game alive at least, not to mention a lot of Sega workers must love this franchise.

Lots of SEGA workers love NiGHTS, it didn't exactly make a brilliant selling game. Shenmue really is of little relevence to the company and there's no need at all for it to be kept alive.

There was also this a few months ago:

Fonte: http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2007/11/for-various-people-who-do-not-read.html

I have no idea what relevence that blog has to adding weight to the theory but even that says its very unlikely.

There's games out already that people thought wouldn't happen or reports where fake. Why not this?

Well of course some rumours turn out to be true, mostly they have a bit of truth behind them. So far as I can tell absolutely nothing reliable backs up this one.

...So?

Shenmue was great back in the day being one of the first of its kind but going back to it now, the whole things feels 'rusty'. Needs to be remastered and not just in controls.

And COME ON man! Its the same old lazy story of old ports, new waggle tossed onto the Wii...But you guys will still drool over it and self-extort yourselfs buying it. Pitiful.

I agree with this, Shenmue is an old franchise, and while well loved by its fans was a massive flop in terms of sales. The fanbase just isn't there for this game. It didn't sell well in the past and if released now it still won't sell well.

The fanbase for this title is massive! I really don't see how anyone could say it isn't. Do some googling or something :p

If it comes I'll be delighted. I haven't played it so that's another title in the vein of Okami, Bully, NiGHTS, Samba De Amigo etc to see a re-release on wii that has been (in my opinion) worth it...

For gamers.

Who knows, perhaps the wii will become a bit of a "classic" completionists console :o

I don't see how anyone could say the fanbase is massive, what exactly are you basing this claim on?

The demand has been increasing with more and more fans wanting a sequel. Thanks to word of the mouth so to speak. People talk about it, want a sequel, friend gets interested, friend plays game, wants sequel, tells more folk, they try and buy it or play it, they like etc.

It was thanks to these forums I got into Shenmue. There's no way of knowing how much bigger the base is, but it's safe to say it has increased. The Wii userbase is huge, and with it, several thousands more gamers so a new audience. Them along with the fans that have already played it, it could do well if it's advertised properly.

Well we have to start with a small number of Dreamcast owners. Of which a small number played Shenmue. Of these members a few went and became hardcore fans on the internet and spread the good word. I'm sure there are a godo few fans around but nowhere near enough to make a new Shenmue game a big seller. The people posting on forums, blogs and visiting gaming websites make up a very small amount of the total market.

That's how the 'expanded' audience and advertising will help. If they just release it like any other game, very little people will buy it. Folk won't know what it's like, why they should get it, or if it's even better that other games out there. If it had media attention and people became aware of it, it would help with sales.

All it takes for someone to pick it up is seeing an advert and go "Oh that loosk good. I think i'll pick it up". Then the shows Nintendo sponser and they stick Shenmue a few times will help attention.

But how much it will help the sales, who knows.

Also it's worth noting, Shenmue sold 1.2 million copies on the DreamCast.

I think Will' is spot on; small number of Dreamcast owners, smaller number of Shenmue players. I think the best analysis is to see how Shenmue 2 faired on the Xbox. Thats the version that bored me out of my mind. With games like GTA with such incredible scope and openess, Shenmue just feels incredibly linear and the child's play voice overs don't help as well.

I think Sega will be actually making a big mistake in re-re-releasing this if they think it will actually sell to the heights of RE4 Wii Edition or even Okami.

I don't think they think it will sell like that at all. How many times has Shenmue actually had a re-release? I thought it didn't. Out on the DreamCast and the US for the Xbox version instead of the DreamCast and Europe for the DC and Xbox version.

But for 1.2 million sales from the small amount of DreamCast owners and smaller amount of Shenmue players, those sales aren't too bad then.

The sales are OK if the game had been a regular release. Considering the cost of the thing they're horrendous. It didn't have the effect of pulling in new users to the machine and obviously didn't go over too well as the sequel sold even worse.

For this game to be considered for a remake it would have to have sold a hell of a lot more, or at least there'd need to be some proof that there's now an expanded market for this type of thing. Unfortunately it just doesn't hit any criteria it need to for a rerelease / sequel.