NEurope
Pyxis

Whats the meaning of life?

The meaning of life...

To survive it the best you can, enjoy it, and do something that you feel is worthwhile.

Life is too short to hate people, or to be miserable for silly reasons :)

Even if there is an 'official' meaning, there will never be a way to confirm it, so it's a ridiculous question when you think about it. Sometimes i can't help it though. That's humans for you.

Moogle, your idea about it being a dream isn't that far off. Our conscious experience of the world is entirely a perception and all of our industries and work and science help us to understand, cultivate and enjoy the world around us.

We can only experience the world through the reality in which we see it. We can only gain information about it by percieving the information given to us by the tools that we have.

Moogle, your idea about it being a dream isn't that far off. Our conscious experience of the world is entirely a perception and all of our industries and work and science help us to understand, cultivate and enjoy the world around us.

We can only experience the world through the reality in which we see it. We can only gain information about it by percieving the information given to us by the tools that we have.

The only universal truth is that you alone, the thinker, exists, somewhere, in someway. "I think, therefore I am"...

Exactly. Who cares why, when you have to assume so much to understand reality as it is, especially when sharing those concepts with other perceptual beings.

Quoted for truth.

That's why the statement "The world doesn't revolve around you" is a complete lie. It totally does. Since the world only exists as "your world", and your world always revolves around you, therefore the world does revolve around you, or more accurately me. :smile:

Learning how to valueshove a 9 high straight on a 3-flush board.

I'm assuming that is a poker reference? It certainly sounds like it.

The meaning of life is to poker her (geddit?)

...in the vajayjay, as garygreatie so beautifully put it.

EDIT: I apologise - that post was, frankly, shit. Sorry.

this talk of experience reminds me of humanist theory in psychology.

basicly, a human constructs reality from what we experience. every person has slightly different ideas of reality. on top of this, we have a pyramid of needs, starting with the basics like a need for food (to stop us dying) and progressing, needs for stimulation and reasurance of our self conceps (hang out with like minded people, people re enforce what we think about our selves) the basic goal of this is too meet all these levels, which leads to self actualisation. its basicly a buddist idea if i remember correctly, all about mantras.

so basicly life is a fullfillment of our drives.

just a side not, if we say experience is the meaning of life, what about less developed life forms that dont have the mental complexity we do? are we saying humans are independant from animals due to a better brain? is animal life pointless?

A lot of people are saying that there doesn't need to be a reason for the universe because it just is. If you subscribe to Leibniz's principle of sufficient reason, which intuitively we do, then a reason for the universe is necessary:

“There can be found no fact that is true or existent, or any true proposition, without there being a sufficient reason for its being so and not otherwise”

Semantic and cheeky, Indigo. They clearly don't mean 'reason' in that sense.

I.e. What is the reason for the existence of this orange juice? I made it out of oranges.

What they mean is more like our 'purpose': What is the 'reason' (i.e. purpose) for the juice? We could claw at a survival reasoning, but that is constructed obv.

And I would fuck Bison.

Actually I was going to come in here and bitch about specific word usage! Meaning, purpose, point...

I'll just say that if we knew what precisely life is meant to be about, then what point would there be in living it out? If life is about doing xyz, then we'd do them and just sort of sit around wondering 'is that it?'. The point of life, as others have said, is that you're alive. You can sense, feel emotions, and communicate. So hows about experiencing all of that as much as posible?*

*Originally I had a massive, essay-length post for this thread but internetproblems= couldn't post it. That's why this post is lame.

Actually I was going to come in here and bitch about specific word usage! Meaning, purpose, point...

I'll just say that if we knew what precisely life is meant to be about, then what point would there be in living it out? If life is about doing xyz, then we'd do them and just sort of sit around wondering 'is that it?'. The point of life, as others have said, is that you're alive. You can sense, feel emotions, and communicate. So hows about experiencing all of that as much as posible?*

*Originally I had a massive, essay-length post for this thread but internetproblems= couldn't post it. That's why this post is lame.

I had this same question in my GSCE RS exam yestderday and started of just like that. :heh:

2008-04-21-semantics.png

Anyhoo, I think the idea of there being a meaning to life is based on shaky foundations... I mean, what the hell is "meaning of life" supposed to mean anyway?

Yay mean.

ok, moog. i will answer your non living atoms point as best i can.

life all began with protine, a collection of atoms. due to this atomic structure, the protines bond in a specific way. these protine strings change due to random factors, with changes the protines produced. this led to bassic cells as the protines in dna not only replicate, but also produce protines that make up cell walls. these change and evolve, getting more and more complex due to bonds on an atomic level. organisms become multi cellular, the ever increasing protine string of atoms constantly changing. eventualy intelegence emerges, social intelegence forms, leading to emotions and all that shite. all due to protine strings xoding for it, making itself better able to recreate.

the atom isnt alive, but the shape in which it bonds is the keystone in the roman arch of life.

sorry its vaige, a combenation of a level biology from 3 years ago and using the wii to post makes it difficult to say any thing.

That doesn't explain how we think. That's just what happened. Not how it works.

The Suicide's Argument by Samuel Coleridge

Ere the birth of my life, if I wished it or no

No question was asked me--it could not be so !

If the life was the question, a thing sent to try

And to live on be YES; what can NO be ? to die.

~hooray for revision...

That doesn't explain how we think. That's just what happened. Not how it works.

i may have been unclear, for which i appologise. i was explaining how, i failed to stress the why is simply that this is how these chemicals behave. consider the size of the universe, random chance brought all these chemicals together, which is how this who life thing came to be, chemicals bonding.

its simply a right place right time scinario.

nothing happens without reason, but the reason of thats how chemicals react seems to disserpoint people.

oh, and meaning behind orange juice is some people like the taste so squeeze the juices. thats the meaning behind making juice any way.

I think I can´t give a simple answer but I´ll try to share some thoughts with you that I have.

For a believer God is everything and He´s the one that moves him/her. I think you can´t go much wrong when you say that love is the meaning of life and the Bible says that God is love. But the only way to love people purely is to seek God´s face and his glory and only then people´s hearts can be moved and love comes real and doesn´t exist in words only.

You can´t go and save poor africans on your own. But if God moves you and if He wants you to go to Africa to preach gospel and help those people there you can but only because He does it in you.

I think the only reason why some of you completely reject to hear what I´m saying because you don´t know how real and amazing God is.

I think the only reason why some of you completely reject to hear what I´m saying because you don´t know how real and amazing God is.

Umm...

For a believer; Paul McGrath is everything, and He's the one that moves him/her. I think you can't do much wrong when you say that football is the meaning of life and the Aston Villa News & Record Matchday Programme says that Paul McGrath is a legend. But the only way to love football purely is to seek Paul McGrath's face and his glory, and only then people's hearts can be moved, and love for football becomes real and doesn't exist in words only.

You can't go and teach poor africans to play football on your own. But if Paul McGrath moves you and if He wants you to go to Africa to teach football and help those people become Premier League superstars you can but only because Paul McGrath does it in you.

I just could not help myself. :blush:

I kind of agree. However, the reason I "don't know how real and amazing god is" is the same reason that I don't know there's a teapot circling the sun between Earth and Mars. There's no evidence.

Why do you think there is some kind of god, regardless of their friendliness?