NEurope
marcel

MadWorld

Hmmm. Soundtrack or GAMEs TShirt......? I'm thinking the TShort and just downloading the soundtrack, both would be nice though. Not a big fan at all of the gamestation one!

Madworld Pre-Order gifts:

HMV Preorder = Game Soundtrack

3290263980_950911b74d_m.jpg

Gamestation = T-Shirt

3289445231_85e12369ef_b.jpg

GAME = T-Shirt

3290263912_7dd091cae9_b.jpg

Think I like GAME's pre-order best.

I'm liking that white T-Shirt the most too, which is convenient seeing as I've pre-ordered with GAME. :awesome:

i like the black t-shirt. :)

Edge Online: Sega’s MadWorld will be released across the UK on March‭ ‬20,‭ ‬the publisher has confirmed to Edge.

The title will mark developer Platinum Games‭’ ‬first release since the studio revealed its four-game publishing deal with Sega last year.‭

In January the British Board of Film Classification granted the comically ultraviolent title an‭ ‬18‭ ‬certificate with‭ “‬no problems‭”‬,‭ ‬moments before the Australian Board of Classification‭ ‬cleared the title for an MA15+‭ ‬rating.‭

The game’s application on the Australian Board’s webpage‭ ‬states that Sega’s new Wii title has only been submitted once,‭ ‬though that doesn’t necessarily rule out the possibility that it has undergone content cuts.‭

The BBFC,‭ ‬meanwhile,‭ ‬has updated its‭ ‬description of the title,‭ ‬with more reasoning behind it granting the game an‭ ‬18‭ ‬certificate.‭

‭“‬In MadWorld,‭ ‬gameplay requires players to string together combinations of attacking moves in order to kill enemies and earn points.‭ ‬Whilst these moves and their effects are often unrealistic,‭ ‬the results are very bloody,‭ ‬with enemies frequently decapitated in a single swipe of a chainsaw,‭ ‬for example,‭” ‬the board said.

‭“‬The game's clear lack of realism,‭ ‬with its fantastical elements and cartoon style did mean however that the game could be classified at the‭ ‬18‭ ‬category.‭ ‬At this,‭ ‬adult,‭ ‬level there would have been no sustainable legal or empirical basis for denying adults the ability to choose for themselves whether to play the game,‭” ‬the board concluded.

Sega has put out new video of Mad World.

Subway Gameplay

Downtown Gameplay

3293429497_3c8774410f.jpg

IGN's new videos.

"I went to the doctor and he said I needed to stop masturbating. I said, 'Why?' and he said, 'So I can examine you.'" :laughing:

As far as I can tell, there is no pre-order bonus/collectors edition stuff here....so color me jealous.

IGN's Matt Casamassina has noticed that his copy of the vibrant and gory MadWorld doesn't support 480p (progressive scan).

In his IGN blog, Matt Casamassina commented that while capturing some MadWorld videos, the game was displaying at 480i, not the expected 480p (EDTV/progressive scan). "But to be fair, it still looks so damned good that I didn't notice." says Matt, urging people to still buy the game.

Matt's copy isn't the version that will hit retail, but there's a chance the game will remain without progressive scan, given the fact that it's out in less than a month. Obviously the only Wii users affected by this are the ones that use component cables, VGA cables with a monitor (in which case the game will be unplayable, since VGA cables require 480p to work), and those with a screen the size of a lorry who will actually notice much of a difference.

We've contacted SEGA for a statement and will keep you updated on any developments.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=12922

^ I don't know what it takes for a game to be able to do progressive scan but I'll be pissed if it misses it.

It's not the progressive scan that worries me, it's the fact that the PAL version will probably lack the 60Hz mode too and we'll probably get a butchered slowed down game compared to the american version, like what happened with DBZ: BT3 and Mario Party.

He's the first review from something called M! ( never heard of them )

M! Games magazine dishes out first MadWorld review

81 % - Bloody action with sensational graphics, great controls and lots of freedom for experimenting

Pro:

- superb graphics

- great soundtrack

- complex but easy controls

- exciting story

Con:

- some camera issues

- boring (but short) motorbike passages

- boring multiplayer mode

The multiplayer is just an extra, they shouldn't even consider it a con.

i think it depeneds from person to person, certainly, multiplayer wouldent be a seller to me, but in my eyes, its important to put information like that in, so readers can decide if cons are a big deal to them or not.

thats why people who just read the mark out of ten a game gets as foolish

PlatinumGames Blog - A Different Sense Of Humor

I hope you all enjoyed my blog entry last week, and I’m happy that you are interested in our little game called MADWORLD. I think for this blog, I’ll continue from where I left off with my first post.

Our team developed MADWORLD here in Japan, and almost all of the staff were Japanese. I was constantly worried with the question of how my Japanese team would understand what makes people overseas laugh. It is a tough thing to do, and I worried if they were up to it.

However, as all the foreigners who had seen the signpost or the rose bush would bust up laughing, I came to believe that if we made the game on that level, other people overseas would be laughing with us as well. That’s when I instructed the team to, “Create gameplay situations and cause user reactions that we think are over-the-top, but don’t ever aim to get laughs!”

Why? Because I’ve never heard of a Japanese comedian think of some kind of gag that will get laughs overseas and have it actually work out. I thought that if we as a group simply don’t get what is funny in these cases, we shouldn’t be trying to get laughs, because we will just end up making something that falls flat.

In truth, the reaction to the signpost from the team was awful. Everyone thought it was mean-spirited and left a bad taste in their mouth. However, I think that was just the standard Japanese reaction to things. When foreigners saw it, they laughed out loud. Their completely opposite reaction, that over-the-top brutality = laughs, was the moment I really realized that people, countries, and cultures are truly different. So it would be pointless for my Japanese team to suddenly declare, “We are going to make a game that makes westerners laugh!” What I did think was that we could make what had already gotten laughs the focal point and began to imagine what else might get laughs. So that’s what I told the team to do.

I figure for the non-Japanese who have read this far, a lot of you must be thinking, “What is really so brutal about this game, anyway?” That is the difference in reactions that I was discussing. Of course, I’m the only member of the team who thought the signpost was funny… Maybe I’m not really Japanese after all.

And now for something completely different… Some users on a site (NeoGAF) got organized and made some MADWORLD posters. I was really surprised by how awesome the design sense was. The other thing that shocked me was just how many posters they made.

Everyone took time out of their day and tried their hardest to make a cool MADWORLD ad. It really shot our motivation through the roof and made the team and I want to make an even better game for everyone out there! Thank you all so much for making these!!

(The poster below is the one I thought was the best out of all the designs!)

3235329057e020f38cb5oe.png

By the way, have you guys checked out the first episode of PGTV? I was interviewed for the first episode, and one of the questions was what were my favorite games… But it seems like I forgot to mention number 1! I think I screwed it up because I had a couple of drinks and I haven’t been playing Brain Training on the DS lately. So now is as good a time as any… My favorite game is… Grand Theft Auto.

I started playing GTA with GTA3, but then went back and played everything before and everything after. Right now I am playing GTA4. When I was at Capcom, I worked on the localization of GTA Vice City Stories for the PSP.

What makes GTA appealing to me is probably something so obvious I don’t even need to explain, but that is the amount of freedom in the game. It is so much fun! Even MADWORLD references elements of GTA’s level of freedom in its gameplay as well as in the on-screen map we use to help you get around. Of course, MADWORLD isn’t nearly as expansive a world as GTA, but I’d like to think that we’ve made a Wii game with the most amount of freedom found on the system. Everyone pick up a copy and enjoy our own special brand of freedom!

Yasumi Matsuno Speaks:

When PlatinumGames approached me for MadWorld, I thought about whether or not gamers actually expected a complex world setting or narrative in an action game. Personally, I don’t buy action games for their stories. However, due to the recent evolution of hardware, games have become more detailed, as can be seen by the ever improving graphics. Due to this, I can understand that modern gamers are not satisfied with action itself. So, for gamers that set a high value on atmosphere and depth of the story, I was requested to build the game’s world and script from the ground up.

In order to write the story, I met the development team more times than I could count in order to understand their game design and needs as clearly as possible. What I found interesting was that the development team told me one thing and producer was telling me another. More specifically, they gave me different orders from their respective positions.

The development team gave me two guidelines. First, “Jack is not a righteous person”. This is because he has no hesitation in regards to his violence. Secondly, “Violence is accepted in the world”. This was from the same reasoning as the first point. During gameplay, they did not want the players to doubt their action when performing an extreme act of violence.

On the other hand, the producer believed that “Violence should ultimately be denied in the end”. It meant that we had to be concerned about the current circumstance surrounding the videogame industry. I thought it was a quite reasonable request because, as a company, both SEGA and PlatinumGames did not consider violence right.

The setting of DeathWatch (an illegal underground live show) came from these two contradictory orders - the acceptance and negation of violence. In the extraordinary world of the DeathWatch games, violence and brutality is not only required, but accepted. However, once you step out of the show, the world outside is ruled by normal conventions. It’s not only in MADWORLD. Haven’t you felt that big contradiction in your life? I would like gamers to play the game so that they can experience the unusual world & its story that was created from these two conflicting orders.

Finally, it may be a little difficult to catch everything in the story by only playing the game once. With each replay you can understand the true meaning of each character’s dialogue more and more.

MadWorld Reader Q&A:

SEGA's ultra-violent Wii brawler, MadWorld, is nearing its March 10 release date and we're rounding out our coverage with a few more stories before we deliver our final verdict on the title. Readers can look forward to a detailed look at a single level before the end of the week, but today we've got a Q&A with developer Platinum Games' executive producer, Atsushi Inaba. These questions were submitted via Platinum Games' IGN blog by readers like yourself. We've also posted a handful of new screens from MadWorld's unique zombie-filled castle stage.

Q: After watching gameplay and trailers, and seeing how amazing the art direction is, I can't help but wonder what process Platinum Games went through in order to ensure that the game world was clear and discernible. It strikes me as an incredible feat considering the monochrome color palate (save red blood and gore) and the level of detail in the world and characters.

Atsushi Inaba: Making impactful graphics is always one of the important themes of our game development. And with MW, I believe that we could publish the new style of the graphic. Though, to develop this new style, we had a very hard and challenging time. For the detailed process that we went through please check the MW team lead designer's blog.

Q: How did the concept come about? How did publishers respond to a game like this being made on the Wii? Were many publishers willing or hesitant to pick this game up?

Atsushi Inaba: The very first concept of this project was to make something fun on Wii, because we had been interested in Wii hardware. In addition to this, we wanted to make something very unique among Wii titles. When you develop original titles, there are not many things that can be done at the planning stage, so you have to search for the best direction of the game during the project. We had numerous twists and curves in this MW project, so publishers might have a hard time to make a decision. Although after we had decided to use the current graphic concept, they gave us a very good response, and we think this is because the concepts we had ("Something fun on Wii" & "very original title in the Wii market") are welcomed by them.

Q: How do you think the public is going to respond to MadWorld? Do you feel that the game will have a tough time trying to sell in the market or will it sell to your expectations? Does seeing the amount of excitement expressed towards MadWorld put more pressure on the team than there already is?

Atsushi Inaba: The only thing that I could say is that we hope that this game will be accepted by people as much as possible. And we usually feel a lot of pressure just before the release of the original titles like this time. MadWorld had a lot of feedback since this game was unveiled to the public, and we had some pressures and also lot of energy from them. We engage this industry because we all want to hear user's opinions, so I think this kind of pressure are great gift for us.

Q: Did you choose the black, white, and red color scheme due to the Wii's hardware limitations, or just to have a interesting looking game?

Atsushi Inaba: We chose this graphic style not because of the Wii hardware limitations. There are a couple of reasons for this White-Black concept. One of them is to develop the eye-catching graphics -- graphics that attract people without being animated. We wanted the graphics to be so attractive that when you are flipping through a magazine and come to see a MW page, you will not keep your eyes off it. We believe the MW became something like this.

Q: At any point during development did you come up with an execution that was so wonderfully brutal, revolting, outrageous, vile, crude, offensive, disgusting, blood-tastic, etc, that you stopped yourself and questioned if it was possible to put this in to the game?

Atsushi Inaba: At the planning stages we had many interesting ideas, but when we really think about integrating these, there were many difficulties, i.e. this is OK in some countries but not in other countries as of the difference in concept. In this game we didn't want to make a difference among each country except for the localization part. It is not our intended game concept that there are mild and extreme versions of this game depending on the different countries. What we wanted to express with this game is humor with the violence. We are not saying yes to all the violent expression. So we also have the negative opinions to the violence in the real world like them and this game's concept is different from realistic violent games and we did not want the people to misunderstand. We wanted to create the violent game with humor and claim this violence is only for the virtual world.

Q: I would imagine that PlatinumGames already has ideas for MadWorld 2 if MadWorld is a success. What sorts of additions might the developers have in mind for this potential sequel. For instance, would they try to build upon an aspect like story or exploration, or just build upon the beat 'em up mechanics that they have already established?

Atsushi Inaba: I think the users will choose the future of the MW sequels, if they want there should be some sequels but if not this has to be the end. We will listen to the user's feedbacks carefully after the MW release to think about the potential sequels.

Q: What has it been like dealing with the ESRB? Given the intense blood and gore, the "offensive" language, and the Wii-mote mimicry of violent motions, the game seems destined for a mature rating at minimum. Did you have to remove or change anything to avoid an AO rating?

Atsushi Inaba: From the start we thought this game will not get less than an M rating, so M rating was OK for us, but we should avoid getting AO to minimize the damage. We had a lot of talk with ethical committee and it was not only about the ESRB. We appreciate that they understood our game's humor concept at the end. About each changes and deletions, as I have mentioned already, we pooled the advice of the local staff and decided not to implement the unethical features for all the countries before we submitted this game to ESRB.

Q: What do you say to people who claim that graphic video game violence is psychologically destructive to children/teenagers? What kind of effects do you feel inside the industry when you hear stories like the Ohio "Halo 3" murder case?

Atsushi Inaba: I feel that more and more people are paying attention to the games these days, and this is because this industry is getting bigger and more powerful. Also, as the development of the graphic capability progresses, game expressions have more power that move people's feelings. I think it is very unfortunate that world media connects the latest violent cases with violent game titles It's not an exaggeration to say that Japanese media already have stopped thinking about this. Basically, I think it is very important for us to have good relationships among publisher and developer, press, the consumer, in games, films, cartoons , website and all the contents.

All the games have some sort of the violence, not only the current action games but also the classic shooting games from way back. I think this means it is refreshing to to defeat enemies in games of all genres. But, games should stay in the virtual world and what you do or play in this world should be only within the game and everyone has to understand this. You know, it is not good at all to ride a plane and shoot down another combat plane like we do in the shooting games. And I believe that media have to communicate to users that the concept of each game and we develop these games to express this goal. But, if one game's concept is not valued, media should criticize them. At the same time, creators have to communicate to media about our concept of each game. In addition to this it is very important for adults to watch carefully that kids are playing games that are appropriate for their age. I am scared that all the genre of the contents industry will break down unless we all create this relationship.

Q: Is the MadWorld that we see now the original format that platinum games had in mind? If not, did Jack change at all? Or the Dead Watch concept? How has the game evolved during its development?

Atsushi Inaba: We had many changes to this game so the current game is quite different from original format, but we kept the original concepts (simple graphics / violent Wii action game with humor). We made a lot of improvement to the graphic style and game playability for the first development period. Especially the Jack graphic is totally deferent from the original.

Q: This game seems to share many similarities with the last Clover studios game, God Hand. Would this be considered to be a fully realized version of God Hand's development? It seemed quite surprising that the game was in a gameplay-demonstratable form when it was unveiled back in Spring 2008.

Atsushi Inaba: These two titles are for the core gamers, but have very different game concepts, so MW is not like a full version of the GodHand. One of the important concepts of GodHand was to make challenging gameplay that players will have fun through clearing the challenging stages. Compared to this, after we have chosen the Wii platform, we developed MW to have easy control and difficulty (with some additional features like additional kill moves). So we can say MW is very original game.

New videos.

I really cannot wait for this... I've been trying to cut down on media, but everytime i see a new video, interview, Q&A or whatever posted... i can't help but to have a glimpse.

It's great to see there's an intriguing and involving story within all the violence - though, to be honest, it wouldn't have bothered me if there wasn't! - It's just another, and very welcome, layer to its overall greatness. It seems the guys have put a lot of heart into this, here's hoping it rightly sees the sales it deserves.