NEurope
Jamba

The Byron Review

Standardised BBFC ratings for games is a good idea if you ask me. Although PEGI already provide ratings for all games I think the big thing that come out of this is that most parents seem to think they're an indication of the skill required to play a game - not the suitability of the content.

Everyone knows and understands the BBFC ratings' date=' it would make things a hell of a lot clearer.[/b'] Rather than PEGI for most games then 18's or 15's just standardise the lot and go with the well known rating.

I don't quite get why we needed a massive review in order for these things to come out, it seems glaringly obvious to me.

Trust me. They don't. They still think its related to skill.

Maybe a combination of the two (not that its ever going to happen) would be better. Big ass age rating on front (with a 'NOT SUITABLE FOR PEOPLE UNDER...' just above the usual number to indicate its not skills-dependant) and on the back the symbol kinda stuff that PEGI uses, so you know if theres violence, swearing etc.

Well this is stupid 'cos it actually says something along the lines of "This is about the content of the game not the skill level required to play."

I'm not saying its right, just that many people, mostly parents, are ignorant to it. Looking at the PS3, Wii and DS games I have on my desk the PEGI ratings actually have no explaination at all. I can easily see how people might get the wrong idea. Toys have suitability ratings based on age abilities and as video games are seen as toys the ratings connection is carried over.

plus the fact that 15+ and 18+ games in the UK already carry the BBFC rating which hasn't stopped mommy or daddy from buying little "Johnny" games like GTA in the past... so tell me what has this "review" changed?

No it hasn't, its more about the fact that if the industry takes on this government review, and is shown to be trying to stop kids from playing games they shouldn't the blame for crazy kids can move away from games and people making them and back to the parents where it belongs. The review has made people stand up and take note of what most sensible people know already, unfortunately it takes something like this to actually get through to people who just sensationise everything.

Trust me. They don't. They still think its related to skill.

I was talking about DVD's, films etc. Not many parents will have taken their kids to see Rambo for example because they know that an 18 on a film means its for adults only, a big U on a Disney film, however, is suitable.

People need to realise that games aren't toys and by giving them a rating and identifying it in the same way films do can only help clarify the situation.

I was talking about DVD's' date=' films etc. Not many parents will have taken their kids to see Rambo for example because they know that an 18 on a film means its for adults only, a big U on a Disney film, however, is suitable.

People need to realise that games aren't toys and by giving them a rating and identifying it in the same way films do can only help clarify the situation.[/quote']

Oh I see what you were getting at.

Its an odd phenomenom (sp?) because as you say, if they pick up an 18 rated DVD they know its for 18 year olds, if they then pick up an 18 rated (BBFC) game they think its skill. Odd folks.

Why not just stick a massive label in the sleeve that says the title of the game and lists in huge letters all of the age relevant content. It sure would make things simpler. I'm sure parents wouldn't buy Resident Evil 4 if the cover said "Contains chainsaw wielding psycho's."

Glad that the real debate has started (after about 10 comments of "I'd do Tanya Byron).

Because of the position that we are in having grown up with games and being well versed in the gaming culture, we do know all of this information already. But this review publishes it as hard fact. The House of Commons has to acknowledge that the industry has taken steps to illustrate games that are appropriate and that parents are totally uninformed due to a generation gap.

I like her ideas about putting warnings on the cover of the games like they do on cigarettes, I think that would have a bigger impact on parents. And to all of those people winging about it being the parents fault, Byron does call for efforts to be made to help inform parents more. This whole report was about how to solve the problem not so much about what the problem is (although that obviously has ot make up a part of it).

There needs to be a BIG media campaign to go with any changes to age ratings etc. to make sure parents are aware of them and what they mean, and that they'll get into trouble if they ignore them. TV and print ads, posters in shops etc.

And pretty much every game rated 15 or more already has the BBFC ratings on the boxes in the UK anyway

90%+ of the games the BBFC currently rate are ones that have a PEGI 18+ Rating. The change will involve the BBFC rating all games that have a PEGI 12+ or higher.

Seriously she says nothing new to what we've said ourselves in the past. That it's the Parents that need to learn how to monitor their kids.

Agreed. This is really what it (and a lot of society's ills for that matter) boils down to.

There needs to be a BIG media campaign to go with any changes to age ratings etc. to make sure parents are aware of them and what they mean, and that they'll get into trouble if they ignore them. TV and print ads, posters in shops etc.

The problem with that is that the government has seemingly washed its hands of the matter. It seems a bit cheeky to expect the games industry to fund an awareness campaign without any government support, especially as the Byron Review has only confirmed what gamers have been saying for years anyway.

I don't think the Review was a waste of time, but it does seem to me that the government are treating it a little half-heartedly.

I caught this on the BBC News. I thought it was fantastic viewing *ahem*.

Example: "Mrs Bond's two sons are 11 and 12 yeears of age, they are playing a game (Resident Evil 4 on the Wii) which is recommended for anyone above the age of 15."

Mrs Bond: "With all these chatrooms, the only thing they can do is ban them all, which they won't do. And its the same with all these videogames."

My flatmate and I couldn't help but laugh.

Wait....Her kids have videogames and she apparently thinks all of them should be banned....:wtf:

Surely people like this should be banned from having children and driving...etc etc.

I've only flicked through it (watching Smash Bros instead :p) but is her evidence the qualitative opinions of a handful of kids?

If so that is worse than some A-level research I have seen. (in terms of credibility, sample size etc)

Isn't all Govt. research which is costing us all.

I'm pretty sure all the Teenager based "reseach" and "questionaires" are basically based in cities, and then they generalise it for all Teens as it's apparently unbiased.

Basically all teens drink mega amounts constantly apparently, which is bollocks.

Saying, oh this will make parents more aware of the age ratings is BULL. Weather a rating is in the style of PEGI or BBFC the fact still remains there is a big number on the box that indicates the recomended age rating of the content. And pretty much every game rated 15 or more already has the BBFC ratings on the boxes in the UK anyway (so technically this report changes nothing).... this has not stopped parents from buying such games for their kids in the past, why would it now.

Yep...The only one I've noticed is COD4 at a PEGI 16+....Though obviously that would be rated a BBFC 12 soon:heh:

Oh I see what you were getting at.

Its an odd phenomenom (sp?) because as you say, if they pick up an 18 rated DVD they know its for 18 year olds, if they then pick up an 18 rated (BBFC) game they think its skill. Odd folks.

S'what I was going to say:)

The problem with that is that the government has seemingly washed its hands of the matter. It seems a bit cheeky to expect the games industry to fund an awareness campaign without any government support, especially as the Byron Review has only confirmed what gamers have been saying for years anyway.

I don't think the Review was a waste of time, but it does seem to me that the government are treating it a little half-heartedly.

Yeah, that's pretyt much my thought on the matter.

I like her ideas about putting warnings on the cover of the games like they do on cigarettes, I think that would have a bigger impact on parents. And to all of those people winging about it being the parents fault, Byron does call for efforts to be made to help inform parents more. This whole report was about how to solve the problem not so much about what the problem is (although that obviously has ot make up a part of it).

I don't mind that idea, so long as it doesn't FUgly up game cases.

However, that shouldn't even need to be done. The Govt. and videogame developers shouldn't be bringing up peoples kids for them.

Though I don't beleive a videogame would affect a child to a degree that many adults (parents) want to believe, even if they did, it's got nothing to do with developers, autorities, and our money to have to babysit bad parenting.

If their kids go crazy it's their fault, and the only thing we should have to do with it is putting the offspring (and the parents if you like) out of their misery.

I didn't know there was a game called shoot them all, i want it now, so i can shoot them all

Nothing will change. Games have age ratings on a parents still buy it for their children. Films have age ratings on and parents still let their children watch them. Most parents that buy games like GTA know what it's about. If not then they are completely ignorant and bad parents.

Bet she takes it up the shitbox as well, the filthy minx.

Do you want it sir? Oh I bet you do sir.

Really sad comments guys....grow up. You sound like horny 13 year olds fgs.

Anyway, read this stupid article from the Daily Mail....absolutely ridiculous. Stupid woman:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=547008&in_page_id=1770

Lighten up.

I actually came to this thread to post that. I think N-E should hire her. For a comedy section to complement the comic.

Really sad comments guys....grow up. You sound like horny 13 year olds fgs.

Anyway, read this stupid article from the Daily Mail....absolutely ridiculous. Stupid woman:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=547008&in_page_id=1770

OMG, did you read her description for RE4, holy crap did she even play the game....i think not

OMG, did you read her description for RE4, holy crap did she even play the game....i think not

Indeed, I think games publishers should sue this kind of stuff.

I know, it clearly starts right near the beginning that, "He's not a zombie". Honestly.

I'm pretty sure The Daily Mail is actually just a UK version of The Onion.

Reports like this wouldn't be necessary if parents used the parental control feature that's standard on all home consoles nowadays.

Do you want it sir? Oh I bet you do sir.

Suits you, sir.

I suppose if you lost due to blue shells 90% of the time then you would go on a murder spree...

Happened to me more than once.