NEurope
mcj metroid

Sonic Unleashed

I should jump in here :) I've been using the site as a news site for about 8 years or so, since it was N64 Europe. I've always found it the best news site on the internet, and have checked it roughly daily for a lot of that time. It's much better then Gamespot ect because it is more reliable and doesn't have as much bullsh*t, or act as if it's the only site in the universe that deals with games. I'm on the forums now and some of the stuff does appear here early yes, but I or a lot of people don't go in every thread all the time, and the bookmark takes me to the main site, not the forums and I then click on the forums link if I choose to come here.

But the layout and design of the main page I have no problems with, I agree with someone when they said it wasn't as cluttered as other sites. It's pretty decent and you know what's where. People who are regulars to the forums may not feel the need to check the news page much for the reasons said, but there are a lot of less regular posters or guests who probably use it quite a lot...

Makes sense, the locations do seem to be set all round the world, making the game a world adventure!

The name hasn't been changed, not really too sure why that guide is listed under a different name.

Would seem a bit odd to announce the name along with the game and a month later change it, but it is possible. It would add to the idea that they're treating it like a Sonic Adventure 3.

They did change the name of Secret Rings though...but at least in this case I'm happy with both names :p

They did change the name of Secret Rings though...but at least in this case I'm happy with both names :p

Yea. At least neither Unleashed or World Adventure sound as terrible as Wildfire.

Anyways, back on topic...

It appears that Sonic Unleashed may have a name change, it may now be called Sonic World Adventure.

http://www.tssznews.com/2008/06/07/update-sonic-world-adventure/

Whilst I think Sonic Unleashed sounds like a much catchier title, I think that "Unleashed" is over used in titles of products. So I'm not too fussed about the name change.

Why do sega come up with the BEST codenames and change it to crap like that..

sonic wildfire to sonic and the secret rings.

sonic adventure 3........to...........sonic..........wow

the only good name lately was sonic rush and that wasnt even sonic team they coulnt even say sonic rush 2 when they did it they HAD to add the word adventure in again.

edit: oh thank its unofficial as of yet

Don't worry about the name, that change is not happening.

This was the game's name whilst it was in pre-production, Prima just haven't changed it yet.

There's a new video of Sonic Unleashed for the XBox 360 in IGN (at least):

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14242719/sonic-unleashed/videos/sonic_unleased_trailer_061608.html

It looks quite stunning! Sonic actually seems fast, which is something we haven't seen in 3D Sonic games for quite some time!

But I don't see any way at all that the Wii can do something close to that, in graphics I mean... So, considering that the HD versions (PS3 and 360) will probably be pretty much the same, I'm afraid that the Wii version could be just a lousy PS2 port, as it would make it easier for SEGA's lazy ass.

Let's hope not!

^We've already been told that the levels for the Wii/PS2 (yes they're based on the same build) version are completely different layouts wise.

I don't know why people say things like 'WOW LOOKS FAST FOR A CHANGE!' and crap when they think that's a GOOD thing by the way. Not being fast hasn't been an issue with the other 3d games at all and in fact they've had tons of fast moments. The issue has been abysmal camera control, mediocre level layouts, horrible stories/characters, sloppy play mechanics and just an overall sense of poor design.

The appeal of the megadrive games was mainly the cool character and the platforming, even if the speed was what "defined" the series in a sense. Well the visuals and music were a big deal too.

The only Sonic game I can think of where speed actually felt like a big plus for me was the original Sonic Rush, but the wow effect of it had wore off long before the sequel.

Yeah, take Sonic Advance 2 for example, they just made it really fast and some people were wowed by it. But it was basically 'hold right for 10 seconds, jump here, hold right for 10 more seconds' for the whole game. If you play the originals they were weren't *that* fast most of the time, they could be, but that was optional by you. Games where they just throw you into being fast whether you want to or not is not Sonic at it's best. So what if you're going fast, unless you're in proper control, choosing to go fast as a preference it's not that great imo.

Doesn't seem like we're going to have much control in this game. I do like the happy music vibe I'm getting here though, they should totally make the story "Sonic decided to have a little tour around the world. It was fun." I'd buy it.

Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive is probably my favourite Sonic game.. before they put the spin dash in! It was a slower game, but I felt this helped rather than hinder it! Sonic 2 wasn't far behind (and certainly had a fun multiplayer mode..)

I am not excited by Sonic any more.. the games just aren't very good. Sonic and the Secret Rings has been the best one in a long time and I actually did rather enjoy it.. but it still didn't have the magic of the originals :hmm:

..meh.. Sonic 1 and 2 on the Mega Drive and Super Mario World on the SNES.. those were the days.. :love:

The earlier Sonic games didn't put that much emphasis on speed (not as the recent ones at least), but I always play it as fast as I can, being reckless and ignoring enemies. To me, Sonic has always been about speed, because frankly the platforming parts of the games weren't anything special, so I'm glad speed is now a focus. Secret of the Rings was more in line with the classic sonics, basing more on momentum than speed, needing to slow down and stop a lot of times and it was a good game because it also had a lot of high speed sections.

I am not excited by Sonic any more.. the games just aren't very good. Sonic and the Secret Rings has been the best one in a long time and I actually did rather enjoy it.. but it still didn't have the magic of the originals :hmm:

Agreed.

Sega seem to have had trouble with bringing Sonic into the 3D world. They should ditch the story telling and just get back to basics. Also, they should stop making Sonic mingle with humans, it just doesnt look right at all.

I wonder what a 3D Sonic game would be like if Miyamoto was at the helm? Hmmmm....

I've lost count how many times I've watched that trailer now. I get the new Sonic game buzz just from watching it.

I personally love the 3D Sonic games apart from '06 (yes, that includes Shadow). The camera's only a pain when trying to go backwards and to be honest, Sonic games aren't about going backwards anyway. They are set up like a roller coaster designed to be sped through.

I understand that that wasn't really the case on the Megadrive, but I think that may have been more a limit on the technology than a designed choice. Several platformers of the day moved along a pace not too far behind - most of the really fast parts were the 2D equivalent of on rails anyway (chemical Plant and Hydrocity, I'm looking at you)

I really can't wait to play this new one but it's a case of whether it's a Wii or 360 job. Sonic Team have a legacy and something to prove but Dimps have an impressive track record that even Sega can't deny.

prediction: people are going to preorder this piece of shit like blind idiots and then defend it to hell even though it's going to be shit..

This happens with EVERY sonic game..

it happened with red steel and it now seems to be happening with alone in the dark 4 but its happened with sonic games since they turned 3d..

well the video resotred some faith for me that this wont suck , i really hope so , i love sonic but hes definatley not as magical as he used to be to me :blank:

Finally a 2D/3D sonic! Looks fantastic but better wait for the review!

and one question.... The camera will follow sonic this time ? :P

prediction: people are going to preorder this piece of shit like blind idiots and then defend it to hell even though it's going to be shit..

This happens with EVERY sonic game..

it happened with red steel and it now seems to be happening with alone in the dark 4 but its happened with sonic games since they turned 3d..

Well, I don't think any of the 3D Sonics are 'shit' and would happily pre-order this like many other folk. Did with the Secret Rings which I still enjoy so i'll do it for this too :heh:

And I liked Red Steel like others aswell and we all know about Alone in the Dark...

Well, I don't think any of the 3D Sonics are 'shit' and would happily pre-order this like many other folk. Did with the Secret Rings which I still enjoy so i'll do it for this too :heh:

And I liked Red Steel like others aswell and we all know about Alone in the Dark...

But at the end of the day we were all suckered into red steel.. people feel sorry for it because its the wii first fps.. yes the controls sucked but they were also the ONLY saving grace of it.. the graphics were crap,story was laughable etc. It was a bad game.

secret rings........ok I think it's complete awfulness but some of you seem to really like it so I suppose tehre must be something to like about it.. But reviews went nuts it is never a return to form for sonic, not even rush is.

But 3d sonic games tend to have the same pattern.. People hold out hope that this will be the next great thing but are disappointing again and again.. And the people that preorder these games or get them blindly defend them.

It goes back as far as sonic r..

It's literally the worst game ever hands down yet some people like it:) haha.There are even fans of sonic riders you'll find:)

Yeah, take Sonic Advance 2 for example, they just made it really fast and some people were wowed by it. But it was basically 'hold right for 10 seconds, jump here, hold right for 10 more seconds' for the whole game. If you play the originals they were weren't *that* fast most of the time, they could be, but that was optional by you. Games where they just throw you into being fast whether you want to or not is not Sonic at it's best. So what if you're going fast, unless you're in proper control, choosing to go fast as a preference it's not that great imo.

also a problem with the sonic rush games.. Sonic games were not "all" about speed.

But at the end of the day we were all suckered into red steel.. people feel sorry for it because its the wii first fps.. yes the controls sucked but they were also the ONLY saving grace of it.. the graphics were crap,story was laughable etc. It was a bad game.

No it isn't, I liked it, it has nothing to do with feeling sorry for it, I think people blow it out of proportions exactly because of the hype. It certainly is a mediocre game, but the level design, the sword fighting and the style that I quite liked made the game pretty enjoyable.

/QUOTE]

No it isn't, I liked it, it has nothing to do with feeling sorry for it, I think people blow it out of proportions exactly because of the hype. It certainly is a mediocre game, but the level design, the sword fighting and the style that I quite liked made the game pretty enjoyable.

The sword fighting was entirely gimmicky in my opinion just got in the way of shooting.

Everyone likes to call everything that's different gimmicky nowadays. It was actually a good aproach to sword fighting, it was methodical you couldn't just attack randomly.