NEurope
mcj metroid

Sonic Unleashed

Unleashed will ship on four platforms: Wii, PlayStation 2, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The big difference between them: The 360 and PS3 versions (in addition to their superior graphics) will feature nine levels; the Wii and PS2 will have only a paltry seven, and much crappier graphics.
Source: http://crispygamer.com/_GeneratedPages/Features/Feature948.aspx

PS2 in the equation always spelled crap, no screenshots at this point spell doom and ridiculous attempt. Shit treatment incoming, thanks a lot Sega.

I don't see any evidence suggesting they've seen the Wii/PS2 build at all, just an assumption about the visuals. It's pretty obvious it's going to be nowhere near on visual par but as long as it's got a nice style I don't give a shit.

We've already heard the level designs for the Wii/PS2 version are different too so it's practically a different game, so shit like "LESS LEVELS!!!" shouldn't even be taken into account. It should really just be judged on its own merits.

I don't see any evidence suggesting they've seen the Wii/PS2 build at all, just an assumption about the visuals. It's pretty obvious it's going to be nowhere near on visual par but as long as it's got a nice style I don't give a shit.

We've already heard the level designs for the Wii/PS2 version are different too so it's practically a different game, so shit like "LESS LEVELS!!!" shouldn't even be taken into account. It should really just be judged on its own merits.

Dunno, I know that the sole existence of a PS2 version spells, s-h-i-t to me though.

As for the graphics... I'd say they're nothing special at all in the X360/PS3 version, I'm amazed they manage to not have it at rock solid 60 frames and manage to have pop up with such low polycounts on the scenery. Seeing there is a PS2 version makes me expect utter, utter crap, on that one too though.

As for less levels... less levels is less levels.

Haven't you noticed in the trailers though that they're rendering virtually the entire towns in Sonic Unleashed at once with a huge draw distance? Low polycounts for buildings...whatever, when they're rendering a whole town full of hundreds "low" poly objects then the polycount starts going seriously up.

Also the case of less levels, no it's not like that. Let's say the levels in the Wii version have a stronger focus on level design due to the involvement Dimps has with the Wii/PS2version. They have a long history now of handheld 2D titles and have developed a good sense of strong level design. If the levels in that version feel better to navigate and aren't as linear and speed oriented looking as the other version then I don't give a shit if there's "less", it'll be its own individual experience and stand out on its own.

Less is more if it's quality over quantity.

Anyway in the case of there being a PS2 version, I think probably the main reason that exists now is because when they intend to do a Wii version of the game a lot of developers probably think "Well if we're making a lower hardware version we can port it to other popular consoles too to make extra money."

Haven't you noticed in the trailers though that they're rendering virtually the entire towns in Sonic Unleashed at once with a huge draw distance? Low polycounts for buildings...whatever, when they're rendering a whole town full of hundreds "low" poly objects then the polycount starts going seriously up.
Still little for the polygon throughput such systems should have.

And they aren't rendering the whole town, I've seems lots of laughable pop up as well as blurry textures on corners that are replaced by actual detail once you get close. I posted proof of that on this thread too.

Also the case of less levels, no it's not like that. Let's say the levels in the Wii version have a stronger focus on level design due to the involvement Dimps has with the Wii/PS2version. They have a long history now of handheld 2D titles and have developed a good sense of strong level design. If the levels in that version feel better to navigate and aren't as linear and speed oriented looking as the other version then I don't give a shit if there's "less", it'll be its own individual experience and stand out on its own.
And let's say they're worse? they're still less, and other than that we don't know.

Less is more if it's quality over quantity.
But is it, when there's a PS2 version?
Anyway in the case of there being a PS2 version, I think probably the main reason that exists now is because when they intend to do a Wii version of the game a lot of developers probably think "Well if we're making a lower hardware version we can port it to other popular consoles too to make extra money."
that doesn't make it legit or worthy of my money though, it's cheap and not representative of the focus the platform should have.

Let's not exagerate here, I won't be surprised if the Wii version sucks, but considering both migh and I have more trust in Dimps than Sonic Team, it might be good. It's shit that even SEGA keeps this whole ps2/wii shit up, but there's no need to feel outraged and imediatly dismiss the game. We'll see.

It's shit that even SEGA keeps this whole ps2/wii shit up, but there's no need to feel outraged and imediatly dismiss the game. We'll see.

There's no need to instantly dismiss the game but there certainly is a need to feel outraged! This sort of development is one of the main problems with the Wii.

I can imagine all version will be crap at worst and medicore and disappointing at best. So I wouldn't be too upset.

I don't want to rule this game out, but 3D Sonic games are never universally acclaimed. After this, they should play it safe and stick with the DS and download services such as WiiWare and bring us Sonic 4. :D

I always planned to get this on 360... you know if it doesn't turn into another Sonic 2006.

I always planned to get this on Wii... you know if it didn't turn out to be a PS2 port. (or a lame attempt/sonic 2006 wii)

keyword "if" indeed. A lot of if's already.

WTF :shakehead:nono::mad:

Sonic's model instantly reminded me of Sonic Heroes:

sonicheroes_art_101003_13_640w.jpg

Sure a little better and without the stupid glow but how crap is that!?

and the bushes on the Wii version! WTF is that!? The pilars in the desert don't even have shadows beneath them! And I'm sure they'd have on Secret Rings.

Looks good enough to me!

Same sorta graphics as Sonic and the Secret Rings, and by it's release it'll probably beat that game graphically.

[satSR]

sonic-and-the-secret-rings-20070212114951022_640w.jpg

Looks alright. See what the actual screens look like soon. Look to sandy to compare just now.

I hate Sonic's modeling on this one, and I'd say the first image in particular looks like several steps down from what it should be... seriously.

Darned PS2.

Wii version is looking okay to me so far. Most of the game obviously isn't going to be played that close up as it is. Textures on the wall in the grinding shot look nice and fairly high res, could've easily just been a blurry mess if they'd wanted to be extra lazy.

I'm more interested though in seeing it from the sidescrolling perspective.

Dunno, I know that the sole existence of a PS2 version spells, s-h-i-t to me though.

As for the graphics... I'd say they're nothing special at all in the X360/PS3 version, I'm amazed they manage to not have it at rock solid 60 frames and manage to have pop up with such low polycounts on the scenery. Seeing there is a PS2 version makes me expect utter, utter crap, on that one too though.

As for less levels... less levels is less levels.

I saw the trailer for the 360 version, and personally I think it looked stunning, and the gameplay trully felt like a 3D Sonic game (unlike adventures, that felt Mario 64 with longer, narrower levels).

I think that 9 levels is a small ammount. Perhaps they're like the levels in Sonic Adventure, so they're cut into different zones. In a Sonic game you shouldn't think of the ammount of levels. It's more appropriate to count their combined length.

I saw the trailer for the 360 version, and personally I think it looked stunning, and the gameplay trully felt like a 3D Sonic game (unlike adventures, that felt Mario 64 with longer, narrower levels).

I think that 9 levels is a small ammount. Perhaps they're like the levels in Sonic Adventure, so they're cut into different zones. In a Sonic game you shouldn't think of the ammount of levels. It's more appropriate to count their combined length.

The thing is with Sonic games when you hear "9 levels" or "7 levels" or whatever usually it always means that there's 2 or 3 "acts" within those stages anyway.

With Unleashed the case is probably going to be (at a guess) that each level has a Sonic act, a Were-Sonic act and then probably a boss fight.

Nothing the Wii couldn't deal with if it was the leading platform. it's capable of good polycounts and good graphics you know?

looked nice, yes, but that doesn't mean I couldn't count polygons on some buildings, that it had/has pop-up, "undercover" loading points to stream the game... see this, actually. I'm impressed the X360 and PS3 versions are struggling for the 30 frames, really, they could be rock solid at 60 frames by what the game is really pushing.

This? all I'm seeing is how they converted almost everything into flat surfaces to have even less geometry, clearly for the hated PS2 version that nobody asked for, thanks Sega.

The backgrounds are absolutely fine. Sonic's model? You'll have to back to Sonic Adventure 2 before I see any familiarity.