N-Europe

Good Friday = No Meat Eating

Mokong

Just wondering, does anyone here still take this "no eating meat on Good Friday" seriously?

I was raised Catholic, and my mother is very religious, but I've not really been into the whole "organised religion, we know whats best for you" crap, for a long time.

Now every year when Good Friday comes my mother still insists I should not eat meat (and since she cooks the dinner, kinda has me stuck....damn i need to get my own place, and learn to cook).

I really hate the idea of something like religion dictating what I can and can't eat and when (i would make a really bad jew or muslim...pork f'ing rules).

Although I usually get away with for breakfast and lunch if I have the day off and she's workin...like today, nice fry-up with 5 sausages and black pudding and a nice toasted ham and cheese sandwich for lunch.

And I personally think God would want us to eat meat, afterall he designed our teeth to tear through meat. And if God would care and punish me for it, well that he/she/it isn't as "good" a God as we are made believe and as such I'd rather piss him/her/it off that not be able to choose for myself:awesome:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I personally think God would want us to eat meat, afterall he designed our teeth to tear through meat.

I am now in a difficult position - the evolutionist inside me wants to go ape-shit on you, but you're my boss...

I'm having meatballs for supper, by the way. I love meatballs! :D

I was raised a Catholic and have never heard of this happening. Maybe I've done it without realising it though. I will be eating meat tonight though most likely. Not going to take this into consideration when I run over to the shop later.

I am now in a difficult position - the evolutionist inside me wants to go ape-shit on you, but you're my boss...

I'm having meatballs for supper, by the way. I love meatballs! :D

haha, i was actually being a bit sarcastic when i typed that. I don't believe in creationism if thats what you think.

I do believe in evolution, even though i'm not big on religion anymore I still have some idea of there being a God (notice how i usually refer to God as him/her/it also...any practicing catholic would go ape shit on me for that), and if he/she/it did create the universe, he/she/it did create evolution (does that make sense):wtf:

haha, i was actually being a bit sarcastic when i typed that. I don't believe in creationism if thats what you think.

I do believe in evolution, even though i'm not big on religion anymore I still have some idea of there being a God (notice how i usually refer to God as him/her/it also...any practicing catholic would go ape shit on me for that), and if he/she/it did create the universe, he/she/it did create evolution (does that make sense):wtf:

I thought you might be, no one with any sense believes in it nowadays.

As for the "God made evolution happen" argument, I've heard it before. I personally disagree (natural selection, yay!), but it's infinitely preferable to creationism.

I thought you might be, no one with any sense believes in it nowadays.

As for the "God made evolution happen" argument, I've heard it before. I personally disagree (natural selection, yay!), but it's infinitely preferable to creationism.

You don't believe that it's possible that God created the system of physics which runs through our existence and therefore natural selection too? Even Neo-Darwinism leaves rooms for God, not to mention that even with Natural Selection in the works you could still have pangs of destiny or fate.

(P.S - Why am I having discussion particularly with Fish in like 3 threads? :/)

You don't believe that it's possible that God created the system of physics which runs through our existence and therefore natural selection too?

(P.S - Why am I having discussion particularly with Fish in like 3 threads? :/)

I don't believe it is possible because I don't believe in a god/gods. :indeed:

Oh, and it's because I am awesome/I love you/I'm an argumentative bastard (delete as appropriate).

You don't believe that it's possible that God created the system of physics which runs through our existence and therefore natural selection too? Even Neo-Darwinism leaves rooms for God, not to mention that even with Natural Selection in the works you could still have pangs of destiny or fate.

haha, i was about to say the same.

The way i see if there is a God then he/she/it/them (just realised i forget the "them") must have created evolution, because evolution obviously happens no matter how much the church tried to deny it, but would not have said "I want these things to evolve in this specific way", but rather "ok i've started the ball rolling it's up to you (by which i refer to the new born universe after the big bang) to find a way to evolve life and for that life to improve itself... my work is done i'm going to take a long sleep now, i'll wake up when you (the universe) implode on yourself and I have to create you from scratch all over again"

or something like that

When you do something right, people won't know you've done anything at all

Oh yeah, back to meat eating now

Besides I'm sure you can go without meat for one day.

NEVER:shakehead

Meat is the best thing ever (think of me as being a bit like Joey from Friends when it comes to meat)

but would not have said "I want these things to evolve in this specific way", but rather "ok i've started the ball rolling it's up to you"

Yeah it's definitely the most plausable theory. With the "tinkering" idea, I wasn't so much thinking about big influences, just the occasional nudge hear and there (kind of like playing pinball i guess). It's not like you can argue it either way really though cos if God does exist (which personally I don't think he/she/it does) you would never be able to see the universe and the evolutionary path without their influence.

But yeah, go Chow SPAM Franklin!