Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii hard drive... iPod?

Nicktendo

In January some of you may know apple introduced an update to the iPod that prevented it being recognised by an Xbox 360. I was pretty displeased about it as I used to run my custom soundtracks off it and had some killer playlists. It got me thinking though, what do you think the possibility of apple and nintendo linking the two most popular and most recognised brands in the tech industry today, the iPod and the Wii - making a unified force in home and on the go entertainment. It seems a bit far-fetched I know... but will it ever be possible?

Maybe for example, there could be some sort of deal where Nintendo gets iTunes as a channel with a % cut of the download price, custom soundtacks direct from the iPod and most importantly loses the need to run the risky business of trying to sell the *majority* of Wii owners a potentially expensive hard drive. Apple in return get a few 8 and 16-bit era games to run on the iPod and the iPod as the exclusive wii hard drive.

Thoughts?

In January some of you may know apple introduced an update to the iPod that prevented it being recognised by an Xbox 360. I was pretty displeased about it as I used to run my custom soundtracks off it and had some killer playlists.

Erm... My iPod still works on my 360..

Have you updated you're iPod's software recently, perhaps you have an iPod model that hasn't been restricted from that (if it was older or something).

The only reason I'd approve is that their colour schemes match.

Yeah, I'm totally against devices of a different colour mixing.

Not really, apple is starting to get out of the white thing now, none of the iPods are white and only 1 of their computers is.

Jordan you should know better..

Apple and Nintendo would be the ideal partner ship but its a dream that is never going to happen. (like we said in the 80's and 90's that sonic would NEVER appear with Mario in 1 game) we cant predict the future now can we. but it will take a lot to make this happen

Guest Jordan

Theres a difference between sharing interlectual property and sharing hardware between different systems.

Apple's and Nintendo's business styles are completely different. Nintendo is very inner focused, they seldom buy other companies and co-operate with others (bar the whole thing during the GC era) and Sonic stuff recently. Apple often buy entire companies/pieces of software and frequently partner with other companies to benefit their own software.

If Nintendo were ever to create a piece of hardware for mass storage... why choose Apple? What do they have to bring to the table? Why not use one of their current partners? Their NAND memory is apparently made by Panasonic, it'd make sense for them to use them again.

Guest Jordan

Because the Wii's SD card memory bus is slower than copying an entire floppy disk.

Seriously, it takes fucking forever to copy a few megs... unless of course its software limited. USB is the only way to go.

Because the Wii's SD card memory bus is slower than copying an entire floppy disk.

Yea. It's slow and only supports up to 2GB.

Nintendo could let us use generic USB memory devices. It's simple for them to do and people can use loads of stuff with it.

but you know as well as me that USB isnt going to happen becouse its to easy to crack right.

Well Nintendo should have thought about that before giving us fuck all memory, and crap SD reader instead of making the two decent, which would have cost them tuppence.

THEN making it so we can't even move 1/2 our data to an SD card.

Theres a difference between sharing interlectual property and sharing hardware between different systems.

Apple's and Nintendo's business styles are completely different. Nintendo is very inner focused, they seldom buy other companies and co-operate with others (bar the whole thing during the GC era) and Sonic stuff recently. Apple often buy entire companies/pieces of software and frequently partner with other companies to benefit their own software.

If Nintendo were ever to create a piece of hardware for mass storage... why choose Apple? What do they have to bring to the table? Why not use one of their current partners? Their NAND memory is apparently made by Panasonic, it'd make sense for them to use them again.

Not to mention Apple products being the biggest rip off going...Yet people still buy them.

Apple's the electronics version of bottled water.

Guest Jordan
but you know as well as me that USB isnt going to happen becouse its to easy to crack right.

Easy. DRM the shit out of the software you put on it and the device itself. Tie it to the console on first use.

Well Nintendo should have thought about that before giving us fuck all memory, and crap SD reader instead of making the two decent, which would have cost them tuppence.
Yeah, they've been stupid really. And apparently they're trying real hard not to release any add-ons. Stupidly, they fixed the Wii's memory at 512 MB back in 2005 (the memory size was the first thing we knew about the Revolution basically) when it was still a big amount, and didn't size it up later when they thought of the Virtual Console and game demos, and they didn't give us a faster card reader either...