Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Scam Artists Ask "Do you still own a Dreamcast?"

Dante

Updated!

Do you still own a Dreamcast?" asks dreamcast.com. By all appearances, the supposed official site of Sega's cherished console has received a legitimate update, exciting loyalists that have been anticipating the system's 10-year anniversary later this year. By clicking on the question, visitors are prompted to accept a user agreement for an @user.dreamcast.com email account (apparently tied to Gmail). Applicants must supply a console serial number, email address, and password before being granted a [serial number]@dreamcast.com Gmail address.

The thing is ... Sega no longer owns dreamcast.com. Oh dear. While no English language statement from Sega, Japanese news site Mainichi has confirmed that dreamcast.com is no longer owned by Sega and is using the official Dreamcast and company logos illegally. Additionally, the current dreamcast.com domain registration information is also fraudulent. Engadget Japanese reached out to Sega for further clarification, and a representative stated that Sega is considering "appropriate measures." As we wait for further information, please (please!) do not submit any personal information to dreamcast.com. You've been warned.

I just saw this on Kotaku!!! November 27th is the tenth anniversary of the Dreamcast's (Japanese) launch so I'm expecting something may happen nearer the time but still I'm off to register. Its like getting an old DreamArena e-mail account all over again. I know I shouldn't but I'm getting a bit excited about what Sega could be planning - I hope its good!:bowdown:

WOAH!!! Just been on a few forums and it seems like a lot of people think that this is a scam. Someone on the Sega America forums looked up Dreamcast.com and he/she says that it shows Sega Japan still own the domain name but now I'm not so sure. The site is down now anyway but I think I might wait til I hear something from Sega themselves.:confused:

I think Sega are curious to see how many people still own a Dreamcast and that nothing much will happen come the 10th anniversary. It will be interesting to see if anything does come of this nearer the time.

I used to own a Dreamcast, but sold it on ages ago. Wish i didn't now.

I had one, it broke and then i bought another one finally after being outbidded on numourous auctions (there still extremely popular!).

I love it and will never get rid of it!

I have:

Shenmue II

Samba De Amigo

Samba De Amigo V2000

The Typing Of The Dead

Powerstone 2

Headhunter

Jet Set Radio

Outrigger

Crazy Taxi 1 and 2

Space Channel 5

Ecco

Blue Stinger

Ready 2 Rumble

Zombie Revenge

THPS2

Tomb Raider: Chronicles

Sonic Adventure

Dino Crisis

Evil Twin (still sealed, it's quite rare apparently and one of the last PAL Dreamcast games to be released).

I hope theres some sort of Dreamcast revival, it's obviously extremely doutbful though. Something to celebrate it, would be cool though! :yay:

Dreamcast easily one of the best consoles ever released. Home to my favourite game Shenmue. Shenmue is the only game I have ever enjoyed more than OOT

I agree; Shenmue 1 and 2 are sensational!

I completed one, and i've still yet to complete number 2! I was romping through it when my Dreamcast busted, took me a little while to get another one and i haven't had the time to carry on playing it because of all the 360/Wii/PS3 games!

I may play it tomorrow actually, you got me in the mood for some Shenmue!!!